Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judges comments about our visitors

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I completely agree

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Err, so what happens after he gets out of prison? Does he get to stay here? I sure as hell don't want him in this country, and I think most people would agree with me there. This is our country and we have a right to say who gets to visit, or not. Travelling to Ireland or any country isn't a universal right, its a privilege.

The judge just saved the taxpayers the burden and shipped him home. Makes sense, really. I just hope he stays there this time.

So if he leaves this country, kills somewhere else, then thats irresponsibility on the part of the judge. When he gets out of prison he's served his time. Ship him home then or allow him to stay on a good behaviour.

What about irish criminals? Why not ship them elsewhere too after they get out of prison too?

Travelling to Ireland or any country isn't a universal right, its a privilege.

Actually its a right in the EU.

Members states (of the EU) also have the right to kick someone out on the basis of public policy.

Since yer man was a trouble maker, the judge obviously thought it was fitting to get rid of him under the pretext of public policy.

You cant be more fair than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Could he not just return again, though? Or is there some sort of a blacklist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

These kind of cases should be open and shut. You are a guest in this country, you commit a crime, you get sent to jail and then you get kicked out of the country.

I don't like the idea that somebody could commit a crime and their punishment is to get sent home !! What kind of message does that send out. No, do the crime, do the time, and then get the f*uk out of dodge.

Any European has the right to go to any European country they wish, but they do not have the right to break the law in that country. I know that people argue that if it was an irish criminal he would not be deported, he would be sent to prison. But we have enough scumbags here without importing them from other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Actually its a right in the EU.
    No, its not a right, because...
    Members states (of the EU) also have the right to kick someone out on the basis of public policy.
    Can't remove rights just because you feel like it. Its a privilege. Any member of the customs staff at point of entry can turn away any non citizen for whatever reason they wish (send them home), and thats for internal travelling in the EU as well. Yeah I support the judge completely though...

faceman wrote:
    So if he leaves this country, kills somewhere else, then thats irresponsibility on the part of the judge.
    When did the Irish taxpayer start giving a damn about Polish petty criminals? Ship him off home, never let him darken our door again. The Poles can deal with their own as they see fit. Not our problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

When did the Irish taxpayer start giving a damn about Polish petty criminals? Ship him off home, never let him darken our door again. The Poles can deal with their own as they see fit. Not our problem.

Its irresponsible no matter what way you put it. What messages does it send to other potential non national criminals?

If you break the law, the paddies just send you home.

So lets say a non national commits murder and rape in this country. how does sending him home deal with the situation? What if hes not tried in his home country? Not our problem? Tell that to his next victim

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

you make a good point, but the man was a petty thief and not some criminal mastermind.
    it's really a case by case situation. if the crime is serious enough, then deportation after a jail sentence is valid, but for petty theft the offender should just be sent home. no need to put another petty criminal behind bars, only for him to be released 2 days later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would assume that this policy would only apply to minor offences.

• Advertisement

julep wrote:
    you make a good point, but the man was a petty thief and not some criminal mastermind.
    it's really a case by case situation. if the crime is serious enough, then deportation after a jail sentence is valid, but for petty theft the offender should just be sent home. no need to put another petty criminal behind bars, only for him to be released 2 days later.

ok so we are broadly generalising the crimes here and you right, it should be case by case. But my point is that we cant just wash our hands of it just because they are foreign nationals.

This is far too serious for AH, i say stone the judges!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

maybe this polish guy will learn a lesson from this and could possibly become a productive member of society. something along the lines of 'hey, i had the opportunity of a fresh start in a new country and i blew it. maybe i need to re-examine my life and start over'. probably not, but it might happen.
    for the time being, screw him. he broke the rules and now he has to face the consequences. although that may change upon appeal.

No, its not a right, because...

Can't remove rights just because you feel like it. Its a privilege. Any member of the customs staff at point of entry can turn away any non citizen for whatever reason they wish (send them home), and thats for internal travelling in the EU as well. Yeah I support the judge completely though...

It is a right
    http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/fsj/freetravel/right/fsj_freetravel_rights_en.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

julep wrote:
    maybe this polish guy will learn a lesson from this and could possibly become a productive member of society.
    :rolleyes:

Not in Ireland its not, from your own link there...
    The United Kingdom and Ireland did not sign up to Schengen and have not abolished controls at their borders. However, EU citizens may cross their borders simply on presentation of a valid passport or identity card. In principle, no question should be asked as to the purpose of the journey, means of subsistence, etc.

Advertisement