Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judges comments about our visitors

Options
  • 15-12-2006 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I agree with him, what do you think? (Taken from todays Indo)A JUDGE'S threat to send home foreigners if they commit a crime shortly after their arrival here has been criticised as "inflammatory".

Judge James O'Connor said he could no longer tolerate a situation where foreign nationals were involved in crime just days after arriving in the country.

He made his comments at Tralee District Court yesterday as he ordered a Polish man convicted of handling stolen property to leave the country within 48 hours, or serve a seven-month jail sentence. Robert Kwiatkowski (25), of James' Street, Tralee, had pleaded guilty to handling a stolen laptop computer on December 12 in the town.

The court heard that he had arrived in this country 14 days ago. Legal aid had been granted.

"Don't come in here and look for asylum or whatever status is going and within ten days be engaged in criminal activity. This kind of stuff has to stop. He's in the country ten days and he's already involved in a quite serious, nasty matter," Judge O'Connor said.

"They can't come here and within two weeks be involved in crime. From now on they will be sent back home." Det Garda Jim O'Donovan said that as a result of information received he and other gardai called to a house at Chapel Street. The defendant and his friend offered the Apple laptop for €200 to a plainclothes garda acting as a buyer.

The laptop, valued at €3,000, had been stolen along with other items on December 5 last during a burglary on a house.

When charged with handling of stolen property, speaking through an interpreter, Kwiatkowski said he had bought the laptop for €127 along with a black bag and an Irish passport "on the open market" in Tralee.

A passport belonging to the owner of the burgled house was found in Kwiatkowski's room. However no charges were brought on the passport.

Kwiatkowski's solicitor Pat Mann told the court his client did not wish to go back to Poland.

The judge asked why he did not wish to return and the accused replied, through an interpreter, "Because I came here to this country."

Judge O'Connor convicted him on the charge of handling a stolen laptop, and sentenced him to seven months in prison suspended on condition that within 48 hours from 2.30pm yesterday the defendant leave the jurisdiction and does not return for three years.

Mr Mann said he intended to appeal the order.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Until someone gains full citizenship I believe they should be sent packing if they are found guilty of committing any crime, big or small.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cool. THis happened a while back. Same judge, or is it catching on?

Congrats to the judge, for having the balls, tbh. Hopefully the polish dude bets banned from Ireland, as well as any other country.

I work alongside a few polish, and they can work hard, so I see no reason why this f*cker should be let go when he steals. Gives the rest a bad name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Fair play to the judge, our system is far too easy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

May be a solution, especially if the word gets out?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Good work, judge
    I agree
    it is unacceptable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Kick them out if they cant obey the laws of the host country.If you commit a crime in saudi arabia you'll be punished in accordance with thier laws whether you're foreign or not.We're far too easy on criminals from other countries because we dont want to be seen as "racist".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

eo980 wrote:
    Fair play to the judge, our system is far too easy.
    I agree.

Completely fair imo.

Lol, strong argument from the defence for the reason for the guy to stay anyway! Maybe on his three years out he might pick up a bit of English?
    Coming to the country without English and the intent to commit crime, like hell we need that, deport every single one of them (convicted criminals) and prevent them every coming back.

This should be normal procedure tbh, we've a huge rate of immigration and if people are coming over to commit crimes we certainly don't need them in our prison system with the tax payers paying for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah, send 'em packing.

The people who come here to earn a decent day's pay from a decent day's work are more than welcome.

The 'people' who come here to act the maggot can get the hell out.

Fair play to this judge, he has the right attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

another good verdict, maybe the legal system is working... Hmmm...(puts Sarin gas cannisters back in the garden shed...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

All credit to the judge. People were suggesting this during the Kunle thread a few months back.

I'd say the judge would be overruled in the European Courts if an appeal was made though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The judge gave a fair option - he did not insist on the guy having to leave the country only that he had a choice to either go to prison or leave the country. Saves the taxpayer money.

If there is anything wrong with it then it is that Irish people don't get the same option...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Well there go my plans for 2007! Dang!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Best way to deal with them, from our PoV - we don't have to pay to keep them in a jail, and it sends a message to other would-be criminals entering the country. It's also good for the criminals, in a sense, because they can bugger off if they get caught for a crime and not have to spend time in an Irish jail... no matter how arduous an experience that might be :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

we should have more people with power like him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

If more judges reacted like this it would certainly reduce the courts work load and save us taxpayers a fortune too. Plus, people would have more respect for the Legal system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

My mate was arrested for drunken disorderly one night and the judge told him that he was "no better than those continentals"!!!!

He was innocent and it was christmas 2 years ago!

Now whats a "continental" and are they drunkards??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

agree with the judge 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Perhaps the judge might be overruled by the european court. Lets put it this way, he did us a favour by trying to get this criminal out of our country, and in a way, you could put it he was giving the criminal a softer option of just going home rather than going to prison here.

If he's overruled, the fact still stands that this guy is a criminal, who came here and broke the law. If he's not being extradited, then he's going to prison. His solicitor is talking him into a seven month prison sentance (which he truly deserves, if not more).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I disagree with the judge.

If the non national commits a crime, then he needs to be put in prison. What if he goes back to Poland and isnt put in prison for whatever reason and kills someone. Basically our own judge recognised that he was criminal and had he been irish, would have put him in jail but instead offloaded him elsewhere within the EU to be someone elses problem. thats irresponsible.

We're part of a bigger picture in the EU.

Think of it like this. You're a manager in work and someone on your team is a crap worker. However rather than putting them through the disciplinary process you move them into a different department. Doesnt really solve the problem does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It'd be cool if we could find somewhere to send ALL our criminals. An island perhaps, somewhere hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fulofh20

The judge is right 100% but I mean people should not have been afraid to follow this rule all the time in judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

faceman wrote:
    Think of it like this. You're a manager in work and someone on your team is a crap worker. However rather than putting them through the disciplinary process you move them into a different department. Doesnt really solve the problem does it?
    Err, so what happens after he gets out of prison? Does he get to stay here? I sure as hell don't want him in this country, and I think most people would agree with me there. This is our country and we have a right to say who gets to visit, or not. Travelling to Ireland or any country isn't a universal right, its a privilege.

The judge just saved the taxpayers the burden and shipped him home. Makes sense, really. I just hope he stays there this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Pigman II wrote:
    It'd be cool if we could find somewhere to send ALL our criminals. An island perhaps, somewhere hot.

Yeah, then they'd end up flooding our airwaves with their soap operas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Pigman II wrote:

Ah no, somewhere cold, and Rock breaking as the only available pastime, and where the heating systems in the cells are the same as those on Iarnrod Eireann coaches, where it's up full blast on the hottest day in Summer, and broken with only the airconditioning available in the Frost and Snow.

That would teach em!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Yeah, then they'd end up flooding our airwaves with their soap operas.

that's what we get for abandoning these misfits of society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

I fully support the judge's decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Pigman II wrote:
    It'd be cool if we could find somewhere to send ALL our criminals. An island perhaps,
    You'll never know, someone probably had the same idea in the past and that's how Ireland got colonised.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Pigman II wrote:
    It'd be cool if we could find somewhere to send ALL our criminals. An island perhaps,
    The Brits tried that 200 years ago and it didn't work. We are now paying the price as said with their soap opreas and inferior beers and wines.

Advertisement