Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2006 - The Year in Review

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

shane86 wrote:
    Feck off, you have no idea of the year I had :D
    My year was tough too (probably the hardest of my life as I am seriously ill) but you have to make the most of things, I am getting married to the man of my dreams in less than 2 weeks as a sign that the year has some good points to it, I would not want to go through this year again but it has been one of the most educational and inspiring years of my life. Sorry, I am not trying to hurt you but I do think that it is better to look to the brighter side of things when life is tough, it makes life a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,283 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Relationship: Im young. Finished one in March, just kinda seeing whats going on by now, not pushed by now

Job: Well, am in school, so nothing full-time. Worked a bit in 5th year and over the summer. Paid for everything and still have enough left till taxback comes. Golf club and bank it was btw for me

Travel: Typical year, between Cork and Tipp for me. Best bit was clearly Toulouse for the Leinster match. haha, unforgettable

Possessions: New mp3 player. only thing of "importance" in this list

Luck: Not so much luck, but just a really, really good, fun year. met loads new people

National Event of Note: seeing Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam for me

International Event of Note: Munster winning the Heineken Cup at last

Summary: Actually quite an amazing year. Plenty of messing about, having a good time. Not too much spent bogged up in relationships. Few memorable things, but its the small bits that made it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Relationship: None as usual, but did have a fling with my mates sister for a while with him approving of it!

Job: Had a summer job, was hard work and boring but paid well. Current job has long hours, boring as hell but it kinda pays well.

Travel: Had a mighty few days in Amsterdam with some friends.

Possessions: Bought a new gfx card for my pc. Thats pretty much it...

Luck: Not dying after fainting and falling backwards off an 8 ft wall and landing on my head on concrete and broken glass.

Event of note: Umm... Buying and consuming what's illegal in Ireland in Amsterdam while getting table served by an extremely hot bird in a cafe. Seeing Australian Pink Floyd in The Point. Getting two World of Warcraft characters to level 60. Having my house attacked by a gang of angry students for reasons which still puzzle me.

Summary: Not the worst year ever, but not great either. Failed a year of college (2nd time) and don't have the confidence to try again, but am saving the fees for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Relationship:broke up from my longest one ever in february,just floating around since

Job: nah im 15 cant get a job yet

Education:did the junior cert-got all honors in honors subjects

Travel:went to donegal (gaelteacht),Paris for valentines day(with my parents),then the usual weekends away in ireland with the family

Possesions:new phone(its pink),new full set of horse riding gear,getting a portable dvd player for christmas

Luck:nearly got it by cars lots of time,still in one piece though

National Event of Note:emm

International Event of note: emm

Summary: an emotinal rollarcoaster of a year,glad now have a load of new mates.whoo hoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Relationship: Met a girl at end of February, still with her now so going very very well.
    Job: 2 this year. Finished there to go on my work experience for college and ended up staying in that job because I'd failed a couple of exams on repeat. Still there now.
    Education: Failed college outright but registered to repeat the two exams at the end of January. Quietly confident and left with a job I enjoy (and actually get paid for... not like other work experience) so not all bad.
    Travel: Amsterday in January with mates, Paris with herself this week.
    Posessions: Bought far too much this year... Phone, laptop, clothes, turntables/mixer/millions of vinyls. Got addicted to eBay and am now afraid to check how much I've spent on them...
    Luck: None really to speak of in the "winning stuff" term of the word. Although had a good year with most other aspects of my life so I suppose I've been pretty lucky.
    Nation Event of Note: Nothing really I can think of
    International Event of Note: Nothing else here really...
    Summary: Pretty damn good... here's to 2007!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Relationship:....................None
    Job:...............................None
    Education.......................improving all the time in 3rd year after **** first and second year
    travel...........................went to portugal in may for month with parents to my villa,it sucked ass as usual
    possessions...................got ipod nano for birthdfay.............got wii for christmas[not recieved yet..........danm xtravision]........
    Luck.........................dont believe in it
    Nation Event of Note...................still no country-wide broadband[i still cant get it]
    international event of note..............of course Hurrican Katrina
    Summary..............i first heard of Enter Shikari this year.............so pretty good!

Relationship: Yes. Kinda. :)

Job: Working in a job I like since February and still working the pub.

Travel: A great holiday in Austria seeing a really old great friend of mine that I don't get to see often enough.

Possesions: Bought decent amp, then left the band. Oops :)

Luck: Won tickets to see "One man star wars show", which was great as I really enjoyed it, but was balking at the €30 ticket price

National Event of Note: Bertie gettin away with it again!!! Note of mention, no-one mentioned Haughey dying yet

International Event of note: Syd Barrett and Steve Irwin :(

Summary: A funny old year, Main highs being, living on my own, singing on stage for the first time ever in front of about 300 people in the music centre, getting over half the book I'm working on finished, (Dear Santa, if you're reading this, can you send me some time for next year?:D), staying friends with people I thought I had lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Relationship:broke up from my longest one ever in march (just 4 years Haven't looked back since (though quite the dry spell)

Job: 2 and possibly soon to be three

Education:Dropped out of college despite having 4 months to go

Travel:Sans though going to Russia, China and Japan in March

Possesions: Wii

Luck:Totally nought

International Event of note: England rightfully (possibly) going to lose the ashes

Summary: Crazy year, break up lead to some of the best Friends a guy could have, possibly awesomest guitar ever and a new album from the mighty E6

Papa Smut wrote:
    Note of mention, no-one mentioned Haughey dying yet

I assumed Hill Billy did...
    Hill Billy wrote:
    National Event of Note: CJ popping his socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Relationship: Still together 2 1/2 years on

Family: I finally moved out. Thankfully.

Job: Have a great job I love in the aquarium. I got back into college, but my recent results means my future is on shaky ground *Rubs Buddha belly for luck*

Travel: Nothing, London in 2 weeks. More travel next year, Kenya baby!

Possessions: GHD, pink Creative Zen mini, pink Motorola SLVR

Luck: Plenty, all bad. C'mon Buddha!

Event of Note: Download Festival. Sure there were more I've forgotten

Summary: Went by too fast. And not very eventful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Relationship: Won't get into it but will certainly remember this year.

Job: Quit my old job in June with the intention of getting something else, never did, came into some money and spent like there was no tomorrow, starting a new job in a few weeks time.

Education: Went to 17 lectures in my second year (I had 18 per week :o), ended up failing three modules which was miraculous considering I'd 12. Repeating from January at night and hopefully I'll then get into a college&course I enjoy.

Travel:Few trips here and there, haven't gotten abroad but that'll be changing at the start of the new year hopefully. Was meant to be going away twice and neither happened so I'm really hoping to make up for it in the near future.

Possesions:Loads! New laptop, clothes etc...

Luck:Seemed to be the luckiest person on earth at the start of the year, but that seemed to run out a few months back :( Seems to be picking back up though, got a job from the first interview I did so I suppose thats something! It doesn't seem to want to give me a break at the poker tables though...hopefully that'll turn itself around before the National Student Poker Championship though! That said, I have made a nice bit of cash from it so far so at least I'm still profiting.

National Event of Note:Can't think of any

International Event of note: Can't think of any

Summary: The year started off really, really well and ran well for quite a while, then hit a bad spot but now that I've a job to look forward to and getting back to college and all, it should only get better! Will stay optimistic anyway. Had a pretty good year overall though, some great memories created just disappointed with the way some things turned out, but sure everything happens for a reason I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Job - started a new job and I love it.

Family - My son started school \0/
    I worry about my Faather's health - he's been through a lot this year.

Posessions - I don't much worry about such things

Friendships - Now THOSE matter. And I've made many new friends both in real life and on boards this year. That is :cool:

Travel - Zip. Nada. Zero.

Luck - If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all....Ha! No, actually it's been okay.

Summary - Each year I say "Boy, I sure hope next year is better than this one."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭sioda

Job - Still in the same crap one but only till July

Family - Found out never trust any family ever
    Posessions - New DELL never trust them either. New 6233 which i Love

Friendships - Lost none and got closer to those I have

Travel - France Spain Donegal quiet year

Luck - None

National Event of Note: One word Munster
    International Event of note: Bye Bye Bush

Summary - Not a bad year but not fantastic either. Roll on 07

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

CathyMoran wrote:
    My year was tough too (probably the hardest of my life as I am seriously ill) but you have to make the most of things, I am getting married to the man of my dreams in less than 2 weeks as a sign that the year has some good points to it, I would not want to go through this year again but it has been one of the most educational and inspiring years of my life. Sorry, I am not trying to hurt you but I do think that it is better to look to the brighter side of things when life is tough, it makes life a lot easier.

No problem. Like what your saying, it was tough, but it was in some ways an education and gave me a new perspective on aspects of life. Ive certainly lessened my contempt for the homeless (for those wondering, the rent on my old place expired just as the deal on the new one fell through. Was born and raised here but the parents moved to my dads home county years back, second I was 18 I headed back to Dublin. I needed to get a new place around here near my mates and work, but god dammit finding a house can be tough, especially when you are working a work shift that means potential landlords are at their lunch when your starting work and are going to bed when you get out. Mates couches, mates floors, hostels in town, it was utter hell. But the people in the hostels werent all bad, they werent all junkies. Few Irish kids who just found themselves in a bad situation, or Poles and Latvians who had ambitions of rolling it in in the building sector but found themselves stuck working in mackers without enough to get a rent deposit together)

Advertisement