Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2006 - The Year in Review

Options
  • 14-12-2006 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Its about that time of year when the telly starts kicking out the 'Best of >enter generic title< 2006' shows, and we pause to reflect on the past 12 months.

So, any highlights for you? I'm doing ok I think:

Relationship: As solid as ever, if not more-so! :D

Job: Only 2 this year, as compared to 6 or 7 last year.

Travel: Will have seen about 5 countries this year, 2 great holidays!

Possesions: Bought a car, but the bank owns it mostly :(

Luck: Won a truck loada stuff, lukiest year ever. Still that Lotto win is evading me :mad:

National Event of Note: 2nd day of 'The gig that we shant mention' rawk'd!

International Event of note: The Democrats taking back both houses. Hurrah

Summary: A good year all in all, had some fun - more fun than tears :)

Feel free to add more headings. Nay sayers steer clear please, a good humoured thread is requested please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Relationship: Met the nicest girl in the world in June, still with her 6 months on :)

Job: None

College: Still ploughing away at it..

Possessions: Got a car, paid for it outright but paying a fortune in insurance.

National Event of Note: Hard-Fi, Arctic Monkeys, Magic Numbers in the lashing rain at <that festival we cant mention>..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I say nay to this thread. notrly though. Good idea, here's mine...

Relationship: At the start of a new one now. Going pretty damn awesome this far. Sweetest girl EVAR <3

Job: Eh, still stuck with the same one since last year. Boring job, crap pay. I'll have to find something better.

Travel: N/A... Got to hang out with two of my very good friends from abroad for a week during July, though. Which was a very memorable buncha fun!

Possessions: Ehm...if we're counting from a full year ago then yeah, acquired myself some pretty important and awesome recording equipment in the last year :) Best purchase I ever made.

Luck: Hmm, no material prize wins, but I count myself as very lucky in the first category, see above. Bah, no such thing as luck >_>

Event of Note: Taste Of Chaos gig in November was amazing. Got to see several of my favourite bands and they were great! Alexisonfire, Saosin, Underoath...amazing.

International Event of note: Meh. I care little for international goings-on.

Failing a year of college was a bit of a downer I suppose but I kind of never cared in the first place...hence the failing...

Summary: A good year all in all, had some fun - made a lot of new and lasting friends through playing music. Was definitely a year for music for me, with muchos romance in the last/most recent 2 months of the year also. Let's hope next year the job and college side of things can be more of a success, too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Relationship: Splendid, over 2 years married and couldn't be happier.

Jab: Working for myself and doing well but hard to get medical insurance like that so may be looking for something more steady soon.

Travel: Haven't done much this year, went back to Ireland in November to see the auld pair.

Possessions: Bought a house this month after only a year moving to the US. Bought a car last year, all paid for. SATISFACTION! :)

In conclusion, I am a very lucky lad and have to realise that sometimes when things don't go my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Relationship: Ah he is a head wrecking fecker, but he is pretty good looking, and I suppose kinda like him....:p

Job: Actually still in the same company I was started with in January.

(Well, actually I was working for a Mickey Mouse hosting company at the very beginning of the year, but the boss, who has zero social skills (I would go so far as to brand him as Socially Retarded), was 'forced' to make cut backs and closed down the dept I worked in - looking back I had a pretty lucky escape, it wasn't for me)

Anyhow, the job I am in now, its a nice job, with nice people, but I know it isn't the job for me, not long term.
    I have acquired skills here that will benefit me in the future, but I will probably just give this place another 6months for cv reasons and then move to pastures new.

Travel: I holidayed in Lanzarote, Barcelona and Paris ! Ringing in New Year in Portugal.

Possesions: Bought a car,(and I still can't drive) a lap top, tonnes of clothes, mp3 player, new phone, a printer, scanner copier and lots of random gadgets.

Luck: Won a truck loads of stuff, luckiest year ever. Including holidays, money, Cd's, concert tickets, DVD's and a mobile phone...........

Summary:
    Had a great year, learned a lot. Fell out with friends, then fell in again.... was a real 'growing up' year for me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Relationship: none this year :eek: -but that means I didn't get my heart broken this year either :D

Job: still in same one as a year ago, not for long hopefully

Travel: New York, Edinburgh & will be heading to London to ring out the old & ring in the new year

Possessions: nothing major, do several pairs of new boots count? :p New phone, clothes etc

Luck: don't believe in luck

Event of Note: family reunion/get together in New York this summer...brilliant :D

Summary: had some fun this year, miles better than last year I think & 2007 will be the year of change for me...lots of plans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

This thread is a month early. The year cannot be reviewed until its over. Something major may happen over the next couple of weeks, as is often the case. Things like the Tsunami for example. Anyway, seeing as it is here...

Relationship: Nothing major to report.

Job: Lots of work in the first half of the year, but the second half was not as good.

Travel: England, Scotland, Germany and the USA.

Possessions: I got a laptop last January.

Luck: 5 numbers in the Lotto in August, and numerous other bits of luck.

Event of Note: Nothing really.

Summary: Not a bad year. Hopefully 2007 will be an improvement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,673 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Nada. I need to get a life. Next year maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Relationship: None

Job: I started back in the same job i had before I went away, with a view to reviewing my options after Xmas, which has worked out well, as I just signed a contract for a new job starting in January, moving to a different company with a 40% pay rise. So that's nice.

Travel: This year I have seen: Sydney, Dublin, Melbourne, Darwin, Kakadu National Park, Cairns, East Coast of Australia, Sydney, Christchurch, NZ South Island, Auckland, NZ North Island, LA, SanFran, San Diego, Tijuana Mexico, Las Vegas, Dublin, Drogheda, Longford, Derry and Cork. In that order.

Possesions: I got a nice new mp3 player for mah birthday in November.

Luck: Yep, been pretty lucky this year. I didn't die when I jumped out of that plane over Lake Taupo, New Zealand.

National Event of Note: Boardeaux was established.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Relationship: None.

Job: Feck all "right" work - only temp jobs

Travel: Travelled most of Ireland

Possessions: New Laptop and new(er) car.

Luck: Best luck was passing my exams

Event of Note: See above

Summary: Very average year - maybe 2007 will be better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Relationship: Still putting up with him :)

Job: Working 2 jobs at the moment. I've had one day off in 5 months. I'm giving up one job I've had for almost 7 years next week, which will be the end of an era for me.

Travel: Had a great holiday in Perpignan and had a couple of weekends in London.

Possessions: Traded in the laptop, and got a sexy Acer.

Luck: Well I'm not dead.

National Event of Note: ??? Too many

International Event of note: The revolt against the Republicans.

Summary: Meh..I f*cked up a few things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Relationship: not in my vocab :(:(:(

Job: not in my vocab either.... ^_^

Travel: nada...

Possessions: built my own pc, went to probably the best lan in ireland evar! and then built a pc for the parents. gg

Luck: uhm.... not in vocab either

National Event of Note: ...

International Event of note:..................

Summary: riiiiiiiiight..........

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Relationship: not yet!

Job: Same one as the year previous

Travel: Only in Ireland

Possessions: Car \0/, new laptop, new bed, HC stuff, my sexeh k800i phone

Luck: Passing my PH4 exams last June (that was luck)

Summary: Grand year I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Relationship: Have gotten to know someone who has made my life very rich indeed.;)

Job: Hmmm...it puts food on the table?

Travel: On this isle only (which amounts to nothing).

Possessions: Proud posseser of rickety fourth-hand car, rickety third-hand laptop, and ricket-bowed two-handed body.:)

Luck: Yes, I've gotten to know some great people (one in particular who is grand.:))

National Event of Note: When An Taoiseach Bertie Aherne said, "Lookit...", live on radio.:)

International Event of note:

Summary: P_D+? -> ! =ALOT!:eek:

Relationship: Going strong.

Job: Had one of sorts which finished until July - am in final year, slightly sponging off the parents, but was very happy to be giving tutorials for the first term to first years!

Travel: France, Italy, Vatican City, Croatia, Budapest, Czech Republic, Germany.

Possessions: Obtained my now most expensive item - a laptop! Was given an MP3 player for my 21st, so that was cool.

Luck: Nothing really comes to mind.

National Event of Note: Bertie and his whip-a-round.

International Event of note: Can't really think of anything right now.

Summary: Was quite a good year, learnt quite a lot and tried some new things which in turn paid dividends (in the feel good factor at least!).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Changed career, but more important, met someone special.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Relationship: Finally found someone that I can get on well with. ;)

Job: Picked up in pace this year. Back is in bits!

Travel: To Manchester 4 times, and to Donegal once. Not too exciting!

Possesions: Bought a new car and traded in the other one. A new laptop too. Am poor now.

Luck: Not the best, but then again not too bad. The football team I play for got promoted with a point in the last minute to win the game. So I can't complain!

National Event of Note: Halloween bank holiday in Donegal. Feckin mental.

Summary: An ok year, went by too quick with work taking control. Hopefully I will get away more next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Relationship: Ended this year

Job: Still in school..... sold a few Christmas trees though! :p

Travel: Went to Iceland, was great.

Possessions: Nothing too special, mostly new electronic stuff.

Luck: Pretty good :)

Summary: Quite a mediocre year I suppose... 2007 looks good though, lots of plans for trips abroad and stuff.

Relationship: Confusing shambles.

Job: Still working in the cinema. Been there now a year and 3 months making it my longest job ever.

Travel: Furthest I went traveling is going home.

Possesions: Too many dvds and random things.

Luck: Up and down. But it's going well so far

National Event of Note: Will edit when I remember. Too tired.

International Event of note: Can't think of any yet. Will edit.

Summary: A mixture. Good, bad and indifferent. Dropped out of college, bad-ish summer but doing well now again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

2006 was a great year for me in some respects and a bad one in others.

My best friend died aged 36 (cancer) for instance which really left a void in my life.

Apart from that 2006 was great.

We took in a rescue dog which turned out to be the best dog in the world.
    I travelled to Canada fully paid for by an NGO to cover the XVI. International Aids Conference. As I work for radio, I managed to talk to my hero karl Bartos (Ex-Kraftwerk), lots of my studies came to an end and I managed to get lots of distinctions and merits (which is so unlike me) and my fiancee stood by my side all the time and I love her for that.

Can´t complain really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Relationship: None, and nothing on the horizon either :/

Job: Still in the same job I was in last year. I like it. Possibility of career progression ahead.

Travel: Did a nice bit of travel for work (Germany and Switzerland twice, UK once, and a bit of motoring around Ireland), and visited a mate in London for a weekend.

Possesions: Bought a new(er) car, much nicer and comfier than the old one. Built a new PC too, which was nice.

Luck: Nothing majorly good or bad. I suppose I could count passing a load of IT certification exams as luck, but f**k it that was work!

National Event of Note: Bertie getting caught out. Bit anticlimactic that he got away with it completely though.

International Event of note: The Republicans getting their arses kicked in the US elections

Summary: Pretty good year. No great big negatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Relationship: With Mrs Billy almost 9 years now. Married for 4½.

Job: Going OK. Could always do with a few bob more.

Travel: This is the first year in 20 years that I've not been abroad. Went down The Wesht for Easter & had a ball.

Possessions: Bought Mrs Billy a car & a new suite of furniture.

Luck: Won fcek all, but on other hand I am still alive.

National Event of Note: CJ popping his socks.

International Event of note: The American voting pub waking up & smelling the coffee.

Summary: Pretty good all things considered. Looking forward to 07 & the birth of Foetus Billy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Captain Corelli

I know I will leave something out; but here goes;

Family:
    no one close to me passed away. Unfortunately we have grown slightly apart.

Friends:
    Made some great friends in my travels. Am still in awe of them.

Love:
    New relationship. It pains my stomach when she's not near.

College:
    Disillusioned. Not worried about it really.

Travel:
    3 months in China. Fell in love. Life-changing event of 2006.

International:
    EU doing better than expected. US beginning to see the light(in my opinion).

Possessions:
    N/A(im more sentimental than materialistic).

Work:
    New job, more skills. Good so far.

2006 has been great. Really helped my in life. ROLL ON '07!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Relationship: I love you honey.

[/b]Friends:[/b] Lost two of my best ones, including the first girl I loved, who I love like a sister now.
    My other friends are great as usual, and I have made some new great ones in college this year.

Job: Student bum.

Travel: Only between galway and Dublin.

Possessions: Worth killing over.

Luck:I replaced my blood with luck blood.

National Event of Note: None.

International Event of note: Democrats baby!

Summary: First 8 months were a disaster, stupid girls. The last few have been my happiest ever, girls rock. :d
    College is going ok, did well in exams, so all is back to normal after a depressing spell.
    happy happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Relationship: None.

Friends:One gone to england to avoid getting locked up:rolleyes:

Job: Student but i have a christmas job in dunnes.

Travel: lanzarotie.

Possessions: Revo 3.3.

Luck:None whats so ever:(

National Event of Note: Padriag Nally getting free

International Event of note: Baaa.

Summary: I did no work since fifth year in school, therefore bollox in school. Pritty crap year I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Relationship: I'm open to any suggestions

Job: Found extremely gainful employment that has me travelling the world. This is a marked improvement on the no job, no money fiasco of 2005

Travel: Scotland, France, Norway, Denmark, Cuba, U.A.E, now India! Yay!

Possesions: None of note, hoard that cash! I've a house to buy.

Luck: Getting job was lucky IMO.

National Event of Note: Current favourite is DUP objecting gay equality laws on the basis that it contravenes that most abused of charters, the European human rights, i.e. gay equality is offensive to biggoted right wing "christians" who vote for the DUP. No Surrender! Do people have a fundamental human right to be biggoted medieval phuckwits? Nope, because a dead Sinn Fein minister voted against them! fascinating, the democratic process!

International Event of Note: Israel basically admitting they had nukes for about 30 secs before the muzzle could decend. Maybe they'll give Mordechai Vananu his life back.

Summary: 8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Relationship:
    Ended during the summer after nearly one year

Job:
    Left work at the end of oct, currently unemployed.

Travel: Travelled to England three times (work). Sydney for a two week break last in March. In Nov I went Hong Kong for a few days before I ended up in Auckland. Going to Perth for two weeks over christmas and new year.

Possesions: Bought a car in Feb. Now its sitting in my parents yard because I'm not in the country. Will get them to sell it if I stay away for longer. No house yet.

Luck: Huh?

Event of Note: Went to loads of concerts if that counts. Rolling Stones, V Festival, <other>, All shows at Dublin Castle, couple at Lansdowne Road, Galway Arts Festival. Few more I can't think of, all through work though.

Summary: Packed up everything in to rucksack, left work and decided to spend my house deposit savings and leave Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Relationship: Nearly got married in June but did not, was a blessing in disguise (as if that had happened I might have been pregnant during a major illness and that would have been bad for me at the baby) but am getting married to the same wonderful man in less than 2 weeks time.

Job: Got made permanent in work, only found out last night :)

Travel: Did not get away at all this year, plan to be away for at least 5 weeks next year (saved a lot of holidays this year).

Luck: Won small amounts on the lottery, got diagnosed with a serious illness but am fighting it, getting married to the man of my dreams - ups and downs but am making the most of what happens. Actually having one of the best times in my life due to a wake up call.

Summary: Health wise it could have been better, but it was a wake up call as it helped me realise what is important, as I am going to marry the man of my dreams and am living every moment to its fullest. Had a lot of laughs this year. Delighted that I got made permanent in work.

Very much believe the maxim that life is what you make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

connundrum wrote:

Feel free to add more headings. Nay sayers steer clear please, a good humoured thread is requested please!

Feck off, you have no idea of the year I had :D

Relationship: Work in progress

Job: Was on a horrible shift, so basically missed much of the summer good weather. However, Ive acquired my first "real" job (as in not anymore cooking burgers for tosser managers who treat the staff like filth) and the money is decent.

Travel: Travel? Best I can manage is that we went to Bray one day in summer on a 17 hour drinking session tour that spanned several houses and locations that eventually ended at 5am in Finglas. Quite honestly the closest to a holiday I experienced. I wasnt short of cash and we had plans to hit Ibiza and Amsterdam during the summer, but basically none of my mates can afford it.

Luck: In 2006 I have been homeless, hospitalised twice, lost my wallet, lost my phone, beaten and robbed, stuck on a depressing work shift. Its been fairly stable and relatively enjoyable since September though.

Summary: 2006 was, without doubt, the worst, most hateful oul year I have ever experienced. Some say it was bad Karma- I rang in midnight on the 31st last year meeting the best friend of a bird I was meant to be seeing while she was sat at home with a broken leg :D Quite honestly from losing my wallet that very night it just became a constant downward spiral of relentless, seemingly endless bad luck. The stress took its toll, I went through a bit of an alcoholism period from it between about August and late September before I snapped out of it (Id become what I once criticised. Have a mate who pretty much verges on the alco definition, and I used to tell him he was being a twat drinking every night. Became like him in the end, needed 6/7 cans just to unwind after a bad day. However, things started changing in September, got a decent work shift for one thing, and basically snapped out of it) By the summer, having already experienced most of the bad luck mentioned above, it was quite honestly a fear of what luck the following week will bring. 2004 was a great year, I left school, we were on the tear 4 nights a week, good times. Summer of 2005 was even better. 06 was a disaster, and Ill be glad to see the back of it come the 31st.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Relationship: Non existant, as usual.

Job: Started a Christmas job today - waitressing experience, yay! I had a grand old job over the summer too. I also had the worlds worst job interview, which I think may have actually been a operation to kidnap women and sell them to the sex trade in the middle east (Questions included, "Do your family love you?", "How many friends do you have?" and "How often so you see your family?")

Travel: Edinburgh - Cork, Cork - Edinburgh.

Possessions: Essentially own my own flat, which has it's fair share of problems, but it's still great.

Luck: I haven't noticed anything very lucky or unlucky happening.

National Event of Note: My brother's wedding was great.

International Event of note: Meh.

Summary: A pretty good year. It had its ups and downs (downs including the death of my cat), but overall it beat the hell out of several previous years.

Advertisement