Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas spending [Merged threads]

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

probably be out 5 nights max, reckon i will spend about €50 on average for each night but will also be drinking cans at home each night before going out (except Christmas Eve)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't drink much so very little. I've got a work party this weekend and I may go out 1 or 2 more time before the new year and that's it. Will probably spend 150 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Let's see;
    House party this weekend: €60 drink & taxi
    Christmas Eve: ~€80
    Christmas Day: Zilch (all bought for me :D)
    Stephen's Day: €40 (max)
    Working 28th & 29th
    30th: Maybe in a pub: €80
    31st: Probably house party: €50

So, eh around €300. Not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

Trilla wrote:
    23 euros

Could you give us a breakdown on that???? (very curious) :p

I don't drink or smoke - gave them both up last year.
    So I won't spend much of going out ..... I'm thinking of getting myself a new phone though... go for a few back massage... a few trips to the beauty salon... general spoilt little biatch stuff.
    I split with boyfriend though about 2 months ago so I've no-one else to spoil me...:( :( ......(que sympathy etc :p;) )

ON a serious note though, drinking is highly over rated..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

For the first time in 6 years I will get to spend loads of money on me this christmas. I usually work from 26th Dec until just in to the New Year. Miss out on all the parties.

This year is different.

Return flights: Auckland - Perth E700
    After that it drink and food bills for two weeks :D Staying with Dont Ban Me, so have no accommodation expense.

• Advertisement

Rabies wrote:
    For the first time in 6 years I will get to spend lods of money on me this christmas. I usually work from 26th Dec until just in to the New Year. Miss out on all the parties.

This year is different.

Return flights: Auckland - Perth E700
    After that it drink and food bills for two weeks :D Staying with Dont Ban Me, so have no accommodation expense.

sounds good!!! I usually have to work more over xmas too.. its nice to have a bit of time off to look forward to!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

bluewolf wrote:
    Then don't drink 8 JD and cokes. Intersperse your drinks with a few soft drinks/cordial/water. Problem solved.
    God forbid people cut back a little.

Why not drink 8 JD and cokes? What if it is your drink and it's all you like and you're in the pub from 6pm onwards? 8 JD and cokes in 8 hours is very slow drinking. This is a perfect example of when 45 euro is not plenty. Sure, if you want to make 45 euro plenty you could not drink that much... but in fairness bluey, that's just like saying "if you don't want to spend that much then don't drink", which is basically what you are saying.. but that is going off the point completely. 45 euro is plenty for you, not for everyone else, and surely you can appreciate when 45 euro is not plenty for other people. I'm aware that you do not drink alot. I drink alot, but I do not get blind drunk or get into fights when I am out. On an average night out I would spend about 80 euro, depending on what time I go out at. I'm fine with spending this amount, because if I wasn't I would either cut back or go out later. I do not see the problem or harm I am doing by not getting blind drunk, or causing fights, and drinking 80 euro when I go out. I'm no longer in college so I can afford it.

EDIT: I don't mean to come across as pedantic bluewolf, but from reading your posts on here about drinking you have a viewpoint that everyone should cut back. People have difference tolerance levels. Some days I'll be drunk on four pints if I haven't eaten, other days I could drink alot more and be sober as a judge. When I go out it is rarely to get drunk. I love the taste of beer, JD and Vodka. I will agree with you that there are alot of people who should cut back, but hey it's their lives and if they aren't doing any harm then let them destroy their own bodies/whatever else comes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

In previous years my Holiday season would have gone something like this:

XMAS DAY: Spend day with my family. Doesn't cost me a penny and I usually don't drink any alcohol as my family aren't big drinkers.

ST Stephens Day: Go to Portarlington. Have dinner with BF's family, then we hit the local pub, and afterward we would go on to the night club. (And when I say nightclub, I mean local GAA hall, or the snazzy 'Club Ibiza!) Would spend maybe €60, as drink is way cheaper in Portarlington, and also, my BF's mates usually insist on buying me shots, as I am still a novelty to them.

27th: Come back home to Dublin. Spend most of the day recovering, watching TV, and getting fat on biscuits.
    Usually a possibility of a house party (Well, of about 10-15 people getting together and having a few drinks in a mates house) So would probably spend about €30 on drink in the off license.

28th: Might skip the booze for the day. Go shopping and then onto the cinema, to watch some cheesy festive film.

29th: House session, probably spend about €50 on drink and snacks.

30th: Take it easy, probably wouldn't spend too much, unless I went shopping.

31st: Off to Portarlington, ringing in the new year in the Weighbridge or the Spa, and then onto one of their classiest night clubs to dance the night away (well, the 2 hours that are left till closing time). Spend about €100

1st: Come home, recover, only spending €3.80 on a jumbo brekkie roll.

This year will be pretty much the same, apart form the fact that I am flying out to Portugal on the 29th with my BF and 8 of my mates to ring in the new year over there.

It only cost €250 for flights, and accommodation, and apparently booze etc is a bit cheaper over there - plus, we can have unlimited apartment parties.

I am really looking forward to it now. Can't wait!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

User45701 wrote:
    60 a night is not that much i thought? or do i spend too much?
    60 - 10 for food then 5iver for either taxi or night link leaves you with only 45 for booze.

Thats the difference between Dublin and Galway my friend E45 is more than enough for me here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Could you give us a breakdown on that???? (very curious) :p
    • 3 Christmas parties for work - all free booze 15th, 20th and 22nd
    • Christmas Eve home party - drinks paid by the oul man
    • Stephens Day - Tennis club, free beer...know Guy behind bar!
    • New years - 12 bottles of Stella, followed by fee into club. Free taxi home. Relation drives taxi. have him booked already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Trilla wrote:
    • 3 Christmas parties for work - all free booze 15th, 20th and 22nd

Where is this now? Three parties!!

petes wrote:
    Where is this now? Three parties!!

One for the company, one for the building and one for the department I'm in. The department one is 4 star hotel all exspenses paid.

Flippin deadly mammy!

So going to the parties will cost you absolutely nothing? Our drink is paid for but I guarantee I will still be €50 to €100 down the next day (its costing €40 to get home).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

kevmy wrote:
    Thats the difference between Dublin and Galway my friend E45 is more than enough for me here
    It may be at the moment buddy but wait til you leave college and you start doing grown up things like going out for dinner or getting into rounds.

45 quid will last you perhaps 37 minutes(if your lucky).

Trilla wrote:
    One for the company, one for the building and one for the department I'm in. The department one is 4 star hotel all exspenses paid.

Flippin deadly mammy!

Its your mammy organising all of this is it?
    Nice!

Same as us really on the work parties - dept party, company party, bla bla.
    :p

Its your mammy organising all of this is it?
    Nice!

Well she has a say in the family one, aye so she does. She makes a fine cup of tea so she does

Trilla wrote:
    Well she has a say in the family one, aye so she does. She makes a fine cup of tea so she does

Not as nice as my mammys tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I'm spending nothing - I only go to visit relatives at Christmas tbh. I'm also sick to death of articles in the meejuh about what to wear/blather about/stuff your face with at office parties - everyone does not live as an office drone, o ye spewers of rebarbative and irrelavant articles!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

According to the media us Irish are among the biggest spenders for Christmas,so how much are you going to spend this year...?Its getting ridiculous and out of control.I reckon this year it will cost me somewhere between 3k & 4k.

Too ****in much, but mostly on me because I deserve it right now! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

ah €5 or there abouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Threads merged+renamed to include current topeek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i spent about €500 on gifts and about a grand on food & drink which includes €700 of saving stamps in centra, everyone should do this, we throw about €20 a week into it and we end up with enough to cover all the food at xmas, all we have to spend money on elsewhere is drink. i would encourage everyone who reads this to save with stamps, you dont notice 10 or 20 quid but when you have a lot at the end of the year it really makes you think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

sjones wrote:

EDIT: I don't mean to come across as pedantic bluewolf, but from reading your posts on here about drinking you have a viewpoint that everyone should cut back. People have difference tolerance levels. Some days I'll be drunk on four pints if I haven't eaten, other days I could drink alot more and be sober as a judge. When I go out it is rarely to get drunk. I love the taste of beer, JD and Vodka. I will agree with you that there are alot of people who should cut back, but hey it's their lives and if they aren't doing any harm then let them destroy their own bodies/whatever else comes of it.

The first person to mention it said they'd be happy spending around that much in a night
    someone else said no that's nothing
    so I said it's plenty
    then I got sidetracked.
    The last main thread I got into arguing about alcohol was people complaining they spent too much on it and me being in a lot of disbelief at just how much, then we disagreed on how much the *minimum* spending for a night out could be.

Of course it's their money and they're welcome to spend it as they please, as are you

Advertisement