Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas spending [Merged threads]

Options
  • 13-12-2006 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭

I myself get paid next week and will blow about a grand on going out over Christmas. This includes everything from booze to taxi's etc. How much will you?

I will then be broke for the whole month of January.

How much do you plan on spending? 47 votes

Less than 500
    0% 0 votes
    Between 500 and 1000
    68% 32 votes
    Between 1000 and 1500
    21% 10 votes
    More than 1500
    10% 5 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Very little...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i spend arounds a grand myself last year but more this year because i get tax back id say about 1400 in the pub/taxis/misc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Too much but nowhere near a grand.

Say max 8 nights between now and New Years. Thats 8*E60 = E480

But I won't even spend that much cos we're gettin free beer one night and prob won't go out 8 nights so somewhere around E350 at max I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Being serious, about 100 euro maximum. I really don't like drinking at Christmas at all, despite that being the sole reason to anticipate it for many people I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Anyway, I only go out once or twice over Christmas so that I can keep an eye on my spending, rest of the time I'm at friends houses and bring a set amount of booze and grub so that I don't go spending too much.

I always withdraw cash before I go out and leave the bank cards at home, easiest way to make sure you don't overspend...of course you should remember to keep enough for the bus/taxi at end of night :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You are the biggest loser ever.
    Such a pathetic thing to brag about.
    I hope you die a horrible death of liver failure at a young age.

Banned.

Scrooge McRuu won't be spending very much at all this Christmas! I don't drink zee alkeyhol. :)

kevmy wrote:
    Say max 8 nights between now and New Years. Thats 8*E60 = E480

60 a night is not that much i thought? or do i spend too much?
    60 - 10 for food then 5iver for either taxi or night link leaves you with only 45 for booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,752 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

23 euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

It really depends on what kind of mood I'm in. I'll be having some house parties this year, but I will go out between 3pm and 6pm on Christmas Eve. Poker night Christmas night so we'll see how that goes.
    And I might venture up to Leopardstown for Stephan's Day and the day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

not including my plane, & two train journeys to get home I hope not to spend too much. Two nights spent going out to a Thai or chinese restraunt, maybe 2 more nights out drinking. I will probably get drink for new years as well which will be spent at home with family.

I hope to keep it all under 500, but my train tickets for my trip home and the food I will eat that day will cost me over 120 euros :( which is why I didnt include them when picking an option

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

User45701 wrote:
    60 a night is not that much i thought? or do i spend too much?
    60 - 10 for food then 5iver for either taxi or night link leaves you with only 45 for booze.
    45 is plenty...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

petes wrote:
    will blow about a grand on going out over Christmas.
    wowwww what a waste imo!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

wowwww what a waste!!!! :eek:

I don't see it as such.

bluewolf wrote:
    45 is plenty...

for someone who doesn't drink. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

bluewolf wrote:
    45 is plenty...
    Someone else is buying you all of your drinks then I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

As always, this is already shaping up for a big scrap between the students/penny pinchers/abstainers and the alcos :D

Myself, i'm not proud of it but unfortunately will spend loads. There are 2 birthdays (including my own) in Christmas week as well as all the other nights out.

sjones wrote:
    for someone who doesn't drink. :)
    How much is a pint? 4-5 euro? Do you need more than 9? =/
    As always, this is already shaping up for a big scrap between the students/penny pinchers/abstainers and the alcos
    Indeed, I should probably leave before I'm the crazy anti-alco lady...

I'm not even anti-alcohol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

bluewolf wrote:
    45 is plenty...

Sure forget about the moneh, just go around the bar and look for drink people have left behind. Carrazzee anti-alcohol lady j00000!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i dont suddenly go out more at christmas so my spending is about constant. summer is when i party hearty.

bluewolf wrote:
    How much is a pint? 4-5 euro? Do you need more than 9? =/

A pint of vodka is alot more expensive! :D

Seriously though, if you want to buy a round for your mates, or your family then 45 quid will get you nowhere. What if you want to eat in the pub? (my local serves unreal food). That's another 10 euro on top of it.

It's all down to personal preference, how much you drink, who you are with, where you are, etc. I would not feel comfortable going to a pub with 45 euro, just incase.

• Advertisement

sjones wrote:
    A pint of vodka is alot more expensive! :D

Seriously though, if you want to buy a round for your mates, or your family then 45 quid will get you nowhere. What if you want to eat in the pub? (my local serves unreal food). That's another 10 euro on top of it.

It's all down to personal preference, how much you drink, who you are with, where you are, etc. I would not feel comfortable going to a pub with 45 euro, just incase.
    Ah the person I quoted earlier said 45 on alcohol only...
    as for rounds I've had this argument before... :o

bluewolf wrote:
    as for rounds I've had this argument before... :o

Not with me! PM me. :)

wowwww what a waste imo!!!! :eek:
    petes wrote:
    I don't see it as such.

Me neither for me the only fun part of x-mass is the excessive drinking with friends i hate the whole x-mass tree and shopping and everything else
    bluewolf wrote:
    45 is plenty...

45 would not even be eight JD and cokes or 4 fat frogs or whatever you drink,
    dont forget it also depends on what time you go out at if your in the pub at 6 or 7pm and leaving at 3 or 4am i just dont see how 45 could possibly last.

thats one pint every 60 mins give or take which i suppose is fine if you only drink pints and if you are a slow drinker.

User45701 wrote:

45 would not even be eight JD and cokes or 4 fat frogs or whatever you drink,
    dont forget it also depends on what time you go out at if your in the pub at 6 or 7pm and leaving at 3 or 4am i just dont see how 45 could possibly last.

thats one pint every 60 mins give or take which i suppose is fine if you only drink pints and if you are a slow drinker.
    Then don't drink 8 JD and cokes. Intersperse your drinks with a few soft drinks/cordial/water. Problem solved.
    God forbid people cut back a little.

(and if I can get 2 pints of fat frogs for 10 euro which I can, thats 4 x2 of them with change...)

bluewolf wrote:
    Then don't drink 8 JD and cokes. Intersperse your drinks with a few soft drinks/cordial/water. Problem solved.
    God forbid people cut back a little.

Ah now come on... X-mass is not about cutting back :)
    bluewolf wrote:
    (and if I can get 2 pints of fat frogs for 10 euro which I can, thats 4 x2 of them with change...)

i can only get 2 for 9 euro but that means going to a different pub almost every night, i dont mind going to my faverate pub or my local and paying a little extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'd drink minimal amounts in the pub to be honest, packed and hate queuing. Just drink a load before heading up, saves money too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Just gonig out!?
    I don't spend much at all, spend far more in an average month, Christmas I just spend at home with the family getting rat arsed on cheap wine and cans of beer :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'll probably end up spending more on getting home after the night out than actually on beers during the night as I plan on making work pay for as many of them as possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

You needed more variability on your poll choices. 0-500 euros as the bottom choice? How many people are going to blow anyplace near 500 euros on going out during Xmas? I believe in having fun, but what a waste!

• Advertisement

You needed more variability on your poll choices. 0-500 euros as the bottom choice? How many people are going to blow anyplace near 500 euros on going out during Xmas? I believe in having fun, but what a waste!

Sorry but i do not see how, its a waste in your opinion, 32% of people who have voted disagree. I mean i can tell you what waste is and its spending 550 in one night, (i dont do coke or anything like that i smoke but thats it)
    i was NOT buying rounds, i think i gave about 6 or so 5 euro tips during the nite but i was in the pub for like 8 or 9 hours.

anyway my point 500 in one night is bad 500 over x-mass is AT MOST 10 good nights or 5 amazing nights

i know a night is more Dependant on your on mood and the moods of those around you but from since this is a money topic im talking from a money point of view

Advertisement