Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bebo bannage

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ARGINITE wrote:
    I come here for a quick taunt of the bebo people and next thing I know I have some power hungry mod breathing down my neck. It doesn't sound like a joke to me *runs off to the feedback forum to report that a mod in picking on me because im wearing shoes*. We are sorry for this interruption and normal programming will now return shortly!

Take it to Feedback tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

440hz wrote:
    Punk
    That made me cry a little.
    It was only this morning I relised that my text didnt get formated properly :(
    kaimera wrote:
    Take it to Feedback tbh.
    Sorry.

*Grabs bin liner cuts out holes for hands and head, strips quickly and puts on. Runs to feedback quickly before kaimera or 440hz get mad*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

ARGINITE wrote:
    Runs to feedback quickly before kaimera or 440hz get mad*

kaimera wont get mad... she is just like a cuddly teddy bear in reality*

* this may not be entirely accurate

*I demand to be banned.

*This might not be entirly true :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Bebo is an pain in the arse from the perspective of "number of comp suites/labs seats":"students needing computers for course-work because they can't get it done anywhere else for a variety of reasons".

Quite simply, if you're browsing bebo or any such ass-toffee site on a lab machine for more than 10minutes during college hours (9-6) - or indeed anytime during the lunchtime rush - you are a selfish, ignorant and inconsiderate child. Fock off back to noddy land.

I encourage those queueing for a machine to stand behind anyone browsing bebo until they're shamed into leaving. Or give them a clip round the ear.

If you, the student bebo user had to pay even just the cost of providing those machines, never mind the power, software licensing or infrastructure costs, you wouldn't consider wasting your time and money on such folly.

NUIG blanket blocked bebo for a time when a slew of complaints were received over suites full of monkeys stopping people doing coursework. This was soon adjusted to blocking it between 9am and 6pm Mon-Fri for suites access. Wireless was left open. It is a generous compromise.
    Were I to have power over policy, the suite-access privileges of the students causing the problem would've been suspended for a fortnight at the minimum.

The majority of Irish students have a poor idea of how well they have it w.r.t. internet access policy compared to other institutions and most employers.

{edited for spelling correction}

• Advertisement

440Hz wrote:
    kaimera wont get mad... she is just like a cuddly teddy bear in reality*

* this may not be entirely accurate

Lies clearly :rollleyes:

Just to throw it out there, neither myspace nor boards.ie for eg are banned. Surely if one is deemed a nuisance, they must fall into the same cat?

I realise that the numbers using both are less than bebo, but if it's because of computers being not available for those that 'need' it well..

I'm just glad I've got a small 4th year class with a lab to ourselves tbh. Tho I'm not sure if bebo was even banned in CSIS.

Last thing, have ITD banned it, or are they waiting on the appeal against the ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Thanks for bringing that back on topic Syx... kids these days eh!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

SyxPak wrote:
    Bebo is an pain in the arse from the perspective of "number of comp suites/labs seats":"students needing computers for course-work because they can't get it done anywhere else for a variety of reasons".

Quite simply, if you're browsing bebo or any such ass-toffee site on a lab machine for more than 10minutes during college hours (9-6) - or indeed anytime during the lunchtime rush - you are a selfish, ignorant and inconsiderate child. Fock off back to noddy land.

I encourage those queueing for a machine to stand behind anyone browsing bebo until they're shamed into leaving. Or give them a clip round the ear.

If you, the student bebo user had to pay even just the cost of providing those machines, never mind the power, software licensing or infrastructure costs, you wouldn't consider wasting your time and money on such folly.

NUIG blanket blocked bebo for a time when a slew of complaints were received over suites full of monkeys stopping people doing coursework. This was soon adjusted to blocking it between 9am and 6pm Mon-Fri for suites access. Wireless was left open. It is a generous compromise.
    Were I to have power over policy, the suite-access privileges of the students causing the problem would've been suspended for a fortnight at the minimum.

The majority of Irish students have a poor idea of how well they have it w.r.t. internet access policy compared to other institutions and most employers.

{edited for spelling correction}

Hear hear.
    kaimera wrote:
    Just to throw it out there, neither myspace nor boards.ie for eg are banned. Surely if one is deemed a nuisance, they must fall into the same cat?

I realise that the numbers using both are less than bebo, but if it's because of computers being not available for those that 'need' it well..

That is the biggest nonsense of a technicality that I've ever heard. We're looking to rid the campus of the nuisance of Bebo, without crippling the entire internet access. Your suggestion that to ban Bebo we also have to go through the painstaking effot of banning everything else which could be defined as an amusement site, is utterly absurd. Do you not realise how totally impractical it would be to go through the process of doing that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MrDaveHimself

kaimera wrote:
    Last thing, have ITD banned it, or are they waiting on the appeal against the ban?

Officially it was banned from the time the CRC voted it in.

However, it has not been blocked at all yet and I seriously doubt it will be.

It is true that Bebo can be viewed as a nuisence but there are alternatives out there ie. Myspace, Yahoo ................ Boards to an extent - Block one, can you really block them all.

Also, in CRC, reps were asked to refrain from appealing the ban until it is implemented - otherwise it is all that would be disscussed in the CRC.

In theory the banning of bebo - yes
    In reality - no (whats the point)

Thanks pak I was just succeding in getting this debate off topic :)

I agree with kaimera, if bebo should be banned then so should myspace, as for boards not enough people use it imo for it to cause any serious problems. So it should stay.

• Advertisement

SyxPak wrote:
    Bebo is an pain in the arse from the perspective of students needing computers for course-work because they can't get it done anywhere else ".

Quite simply, if you're browsing bebo or any such ass-toffee site on a lab machine for more than 10minutes during college hours (9-6)

I encourage those queueing for a machine to stand behind anyone browsing bebo until they're shamed into leaving.

If you are in the library, if you have course work to do and someone is on a "lesurable website" you are intitled to that computer and you can ask one of the library workers to get it for you, or you could ask the peron using the computer.. i'm sure the majority of people would be sound about it.

"Leisurable website" - Mp3 websites, Bebo, Myspace, Yahoo, Chat sites, Game sites, the list is endless.....................

ARGINITE wrote:
    as for boards not enough people use it imo for it to cause any serious problems. So it should stay.

Will it stay that way if they keep blocking different websites.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It was ALWAYS a nightmare to get a PC anywhere in the college, before a bunch of 14 year olds made Bebo the brain-crippling mind-numbing social network that it is. As long as there have been PCs in UL there have been a bunch of spotty unwashed people misusing them somehow whilst other, more diligent students wanted to work on their projects, exams and what not.
    That was true of the 4 years that I was there and will be true long afte Bebo is dead and gone and buried for ever.
    Banning Bebo would be like telling a drunk that he can drink anything that he wants, except buckfast. The drunk doesnt care.

It was ALWAYS a nightmare to get a PC anywhere in the college, before a bunch of 14 year olds made Bebo the brain-crippling mind-numbing social network that it is. As long as there have been PCs in UL there have been a bunch of spotty unwashed people misusing them somehow whilst other, more diligent students wanted to work on their projects, exams and what not.
    That was true of the 4 years that I was there and will be true long afte Bebo is dead and gone and buried for ever.
    Banning Bebo would be like telling a drunk that he can drink anything that he wants, except buckfast. The drunk doesnt care

You raise a sound point. Prehaps we should start a vigilante group, roaming the the venus/library dressed in dark clothes and face masks, who administer on-the-spot prolonged punishment beatings to those unwise enough to use just degenerate sites as bebo

Surely this would soon stop the students of UL spending time on such mindrot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

on-the-spot prolonged punishment beatings

on-the-spot prolonged punishment beatings FTW :)

On a more serious note Gordon Young has stated that he was unwilling to go down the route of blocking websites such as Bebo. If there are people using Bebo in the Library/Venus labs or any of the other clusters when there are others waiting to do project work etc. The people using Bebo should be asked to leave. Personally I haven't got a whole lot against the site (aside from it being brain rotting) but as soon as it starts affecting other peoples access to computers to do legitimate work then that's when my problem with it starts.

Granted I can't really complain as I've got my own assigned computer in a lab in CSIS so I don't have to worry about someone using it to look at Bebo.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Officially it was banned from the time the CRC voted it in.

However, it has not been blocked at all yet and I seriously doubt it will be.
    Bebo was never banned, as it falls under the remit of ITD(a universtiy department) and not ULSU(an independent body).

It is true that Bebo can be viewed as a nuisence but there are alternatives out there ie. Myspace, Yahoo ................ Boards to an extent - Block one, can you really block them all.
    rotten.com......bored.com????

That is the biggest nonsense of a technicality that I've ever heard. We're looking to rid the campus of the nuisance of Bebo, without crippling the entire internet access. Your suggestion that to ban Bebo we also have to go through the painstaking effot of banning everything else which could be defined as an amusement site, is utterly absurd. Do you not realise how totally impractical it would be to go through the process of doing that?

And why is it a nuisance again?

Please do explain what exactly the difference between a person spending x hours on myspace/boards over bebo?

It's still taking away a computer from somebody wanting to do actual work.

Now if you'd taken a moment and not gotten in a huff at the mention of banning your beloved myspace, you'd have see that I didn't say they should be banned but was merely questioning what constitutes a nuisance.

Like as been stated, own lab etc so I'm not infected by bebo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

ninty9er wrote:
    rotten.com......bored.com????

rotten.com is a valubale educational resource I'll have you know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

rmacm wrote:
    on-the-spot prolonged punishment beatings FTW :)

Cue Rory, in the library, on Bebo, just so he can get one of these promised beatings! :D

Back on topic, I use Bebo sometimes and I agree, it is brain-rotting, but I keep it to a relatively normal level, akin to drinking. However, there are 'binge-drinkers' out there who waste, not minutes, but hours on this thing!

Personally, though, I don't access Bebo in college anyway, but if I were to, and someone asked me to give up my PC so they can do some work, I would be up before they said please.

I was in the library looking up some intellectual quantum physics journals online. And the blonde bimbo on the computer beside me spent an HOUR AND A HALF on bebo. Are you telling me that this simple minded creature would have spent that much time on any other amusement website? I felt like asking her if she knew that she was misusing valuable college resources, but I'm guessing all she knows is highlights and texting. Hopefully the poor thing's prolonged bebo exposure didn't cause any brain damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

But you got her number, right?

klong wrote:
    But you got her number, right?

No, just a handjob down the English Lit aisle.

I have asked my fair share number of people to give up the computer they are using for bebo/myspace last year when I needed a computer and most of them gave it up without a fight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

ARGINITE wrote:
    I have asked my fair share number of people to give up the computer they are using for bebo/myspace last year when I needed a computer and most of them gave it up without a fight.

Just proves the fact that people who use bebo are pussies!

Peteee wrote:
    Just proves the fact that people who use bebo are pussies!
    Couldn't have said it better myself Peteee, all the boardies I asked to move had to be kicked out of the library:D

Advertisement