Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self defence?

Options
2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

If someone comes into my home with the intent to remove my belongings or worse yet do damage to me or my family i wont try to scare them away, i will stop them and make sure they dont move til the guards get there, by whatever i need to do. They have entered my home, (your own safe haven if you will) and they want to take what isnt theirs, not a hope of me backing away and ensuring i dont hurt them too much, ok, there is a line, i wouldnt kill but i'd be very bloody tempted....sorry just my .02c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Uh, apologies if this's vaguely off topic, but I've just been thinking about that breaking into your house and falling over to sue you crap.
    I've heard it countless times, and I've no doubts that it can be done. But if they did drag you to court over it, can you not just point out that they'd broken into your house and were trespassing on your property?

OT, Self defence ftw. Anyone breaks in will get a decent introduction to Mr. Baseball Bat(man).

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Rabies wrote:
    A guy tried to rob a gun shop with a knife as a weapon. The owner pulled out a gun and shot him.
    Who the hell wouldn't see that coming? I can only hope that his plan all along was to get shot and sue the guy because otherwise that's a whole new level of stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I voted in certain circumstances...

If a burgler came into the house & I could get myself & my family out then I'd just do that. There is no way I would risk life & limb, or let my husband, for a material posession that is fully insured. On the other hand, if someone came in & attacked us or were between us & the kids, I imagine we would throw everything at them & then some...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I wouldnt agree with killing them but you should be allowed to render them defenceless which could include shatterring their kneecaps and all the bones in their hands. If this happened more robberies would go down, it is not some vicitmless crime, people are fearing for their lives, why should some guy who went to school in templemoore legally be allowed to shoot somebody dead in self defence while I cannot beat somebody across the head which could also cause death.

I often wonder what legal issues there are about safety in peoples homes? is there any, like in factories?
    e.g. could I leave my collection of bear traps under all the windows in my home? if a burgular bled to death am I at fault?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

rubadub wrote:
    e.g. could I leave my collection of bear traps under all the windows in my home? if a burgular bled to death am I at fault?
    I don't think so, but our Dobermann used to sleep in a basket under the kitchen window and one night... oh how we laughed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Plug wrote:
    Is that why normal people are getting sued by these gurriers?
    Its like this if some breaks into your house and they fall and get injured, your the one responsible the same goes for hitting them, therefore self defence is illegal.

i heard a few years back that a robber came in a kitchen sky light and fell and landed on a knife and he sued the owner of the house and won!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

i heard a few years back that a robber came in a kitchen sky light and fell and landed on a knife and he sued the owner of the house and won!

Liar Liar...

i.e:
    Greta: Mr. Reede, several years ago a friend of mine had a burglar on her roof, a burglar. He fell through the kitchen skylight, landed on a cutting board, on a butcher's knife, cutting his leg. The burglar sued my friend, he sued my friend. And because of guys like you *he won*. My friend had to pay the burglar $6,000. Is that justice?
    Fletcher: No!
    [Greta looks pleased, but then Fletcher continues]
    Fletcher: I'd have got him ten.
    [Greta stalks off, appalled]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

For what? Bruises sustained during the fall?

ba dum tsshhh...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Hmmm if someone broke into my home, I would be a little peeved and might just take it out on him. As for the legality of defending your home against attackers, *shrugs*.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Hey, they can only sue if they survive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think it should be quite legal to hurt them a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

thrill wrote:
    Is it true or not, that if a boxer or a karate expert kills a guy while defending himself he could be tried for manslaughter, excessive force or not?

Yeah.. when i was doing taekwondo we were told that you had to warn em first as you are judged to have a deadly weapon when you reach a certain level.

Advertisement