Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not realising you know people on Boards

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

layke wrote:
    There used to be a 'know your nerds' page on boards, where has it gone?

Or mebbe we can set up a new updated one?
    It's in the pics/vids/ links forum, linked to AH.

Has anyone ever shouted out Boards.ie!!! in a random place to see if anyone responds? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Daddio wrote:
    Has anyone ever shouted out Boards.ie!!! in a random place to see if anyone responds? :D

They may or may not respond but you will no doubt get some strange looks.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Daddio wrote:
    It's in the pics/vids/ links forum, linked to AH.

I think someone did that to Sparky-s when he was driving along in town one day, nearly caused an accident :)

Talking to someone who posts on boards.ie is a frequent real-life occurrence for me; talking to someone I actually recognize is not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've met one person in real life, but that was through a different forum, she just happens to be on boards too.

Apart from that, I don't think I know anybody! Certainly my friends wouldn't really be the type to have a secret internet life. They're too busy getting drunk to figure out how to A) Find boards, B) Sign up and C) post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well, all of us knw each other now.

We are a great team.

Teh WinnorZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Faith wrote:
    They're too busy getting drunk to figure out how to A) Find boards, B) Sign up and C) post.

Some people have managed it. Although not in that specific order. Try A) then B), the drunk bit and then C).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I know Wheres Me Jumpa, n Jumpa knows me
    I know GraceHopper, n GraceHopper knows me
    I know B_Man, n B_Man knows me
    I know ******, n they dunno who I am ha ha ha ha ha :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I know nothing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I know of a lot of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I know more then you both know

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

(Than.)
    Also, if he knows nothing, that just means you know more than me.

Reveal your secrets to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

r3nu4l wrote:
    I also recognise a few names from NUIMaynooth mikado and would have known one or two to see (perhaps even lectured to one or two in Biology) but they wouldn't know who I am ;)

Aye.....how long ago did ya lecture?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I only stood in for my boss at the time on certain lectures, either while he was away or needed someone who knew more about the subject of the lecture than he did, so it was here and there from 2000-2004 while I was finishing my PhD and then working as a post-doc in his lab. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

I know of two people who know who I am. And they know I know. As far as not knowing others who know me. Who knows?

I also know people who don't know I know them. You know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

r3nu4l wrote:
    I only stood in for my boss at the time on certain lectures, either while he was away or needed someone who knew more about the subject of the lecture than he did, so it was here and there from 2000-2004 while I was finishing my PhD and then working as a post-doc in his lab. :)

Hmmm...I was there from 1998-2003. Can only think of one lecturer who would have needed someone other than themselves take their classes....but not a clue who gave the lectures. Rest easy r3nu4l your secret identity is safe.....for now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I went to the pub with a friend from work and Jazzy was there, who turned out to know my best friend, also a Boardsie. Half the people I work with turned out to be here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I've browsed idly through threads and stopped up when I've seen people post "I work in [RAISERS CO.] in Limerick and blah, blah, blah......." Hmmm - I'm intrigued :cool:

.......I'm a total stalker and would love to know who they are etc. etc. - I wander around work thereafter peering at people and assessing them as the possible boards.ie in line with my carefully honed and expertly defined criteria......

- Is it the girl with the green cardigan and the nervous twitch at the vending machine, or perhaps the guy who always plays pocket pool when talking to Karen from Finance at the watercooler......? Maybe its Michael from my dept. - yeah - Michaels introverted and odd, not to mention nerdier than most :confused:

Sometimes you get them in your stalker crosshair and can navigate across multiple threads and onwards to personal blogs/homepages etc. etc. - the $hite that people put on the net for general consumption by the cyber-nosey like me is beyond belief sometimes......

Yeah I do. A friend came up to me and asked me was I Tar.Aldarion once...

'That buffoon?' Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Only two people know i know them. I actually know loads more though, they just don't know it.

I'm watching you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

connundrum wrote:
    1st rule of boardsie is - you do not talk about boardsie :)

Damn right! I never talk about Boards and would probably act dumb if someone mentioned it to me e.g "Boards?Never heard of it...."

I've a friend who uses Boards though, and talk about it with him...but noone else.

Layke: I read you were in HSD, I was in HSD so chances are I'd recognise you at least....if thats any consolation! No idea who you actually are though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Jimoslimos wrote:
    Hmmm...I was there from 1998-2003. Can only think of one lecturer who would have needed someone other than themselves take their classes....but not a clue who gave the lectures. Rest easy r3nu4l your secret identity is safe.....for now.:)

You'd be very surprised at the number of lecturers who pawned off lecturers to their post-grads and post-docs. I can think of at least 5 straight off :) The University cut back on it though because after all the lecturers get paid to lecture...post-docs get paid (poorly in comparison) to do research.

I do know people who read boards.ie but do not post, they would know me IRL but not my boards username...I think :D

Advertisement