Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not realising you know people on Boards

Options
  • 05-12-2006 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

Anybody else realise through conversation in real life that friends of theirs were posters on boards that they didn't know about?

Happened to me twice recently.

I suppose more common is the realising you know someone through their posting rather than talking to them in "meatspace".

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think that I know about the only people I know on boards
    (convoluted sentences ftw)
    be interesting to find some I didn't know about though

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

mloc wrote:
    Anybody else realise through conversation in real life that friends of theirs were posters on boards that they didn't know about?

Happened to me twice recently.

I suppose more common is the realising you know someone through their posting rather than talking to them in "meatspace".

i know everything about you molc, your girlfriends name, your families names , even the location of your bedroom in your house by the big tree :eek:

even where you sat in 6th year english class

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Happens to people on the poker forum all the time. I know at least 30+ people from that forum through live games. Never came up in random conversation that wasn't poker related though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I recently found out that a guy I knew in school is a poster on Boards, haven't said anything to him about it though :D

I'm sure it happens a lot though, there is a massive amount of people who use boards afterall, regularly or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Yes, there's one or two who know me in person. But the rest wouldn't make the connection. Blue_Lagoon is type cast. A silly character on boards.ie that allows a part of me freedom to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Well i saw someone i work with using boards today... i wonder if they have twigged my user name is my real name lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

know a couple from the DIT boards and CS boards but don't really mention it as i find it would be sad to start a conversation with someone saying "hey you're x from boards.ie."

if i don't know their real name i'm not going to go up to them and say "hey dragonslay0r2k6" or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I'm always doing it.. I've outted a lot of people. I seem to have a 'boardar' type thing going on. The other night at a party in Ranelagh I was talkin to a guy who turned out to be a boardsie, I had a feeling he was one before we started talking then knew for sure when he started saying something that had been floating about in an AH thread.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i figured out who Blondie83 was before i knew her to talk to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

bluewolf wrote:
    I think that I know about the only people I know on boards
    (convoluted sentences ftw)
    be interesting to find some I didn't know about though
    i know what college you go to. if you're the same bluewolf from mikado. yes i am your stalker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Achillies? just started working for the same company as me a few weeks back and I just recently found he was a boardsie!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I see people in work on boards. Some were banned, some are lurkers, some are registered, but haven't posted for years. And then there are people who I know their online name only, and see them at gaming events, or at random places.

Always fun to ask "are you X on boards.ie".

***Major look of confusion on their face**.

Their question is either "Who the f*ck are you on boards.ie", or "You're the syco, aren't you?". Usually the latter, tho:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i know too boarders really well, one is my brother and the other is a very good mate, i was talking to a mate on sat about a problem he had with his computer and i said 'are you on boards'. the look of confusion on his face made me realise he isnt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I know two other guys but I can't remember their boards names. And recently discovered a cousin on the poker forum.

I'd imagine theres a lot of other people here that I know in real life that I never knew were on boards, particularly on something like the UCD forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Well i saw someone i work with using boards today... i wonder if they have twigged my user name is my real name lol.

Well if theyre reading this thread, they have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Red Alert wrote:
    i figured out who Blondie83 was before i knew her to talk to her.
    I find stalking is a good way to get to know people too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Alot of us over in the Martial arts/Self Defence know each other.

Other than that, nope I've never found anyone here. Although I'm often tempted to ask people when the subject of discussion forums comes up.

Oh, I use my real name here so it wouldn't be hard to find me either way.

I have gotten paranoid about this before

when you realise there's 85000 reg user's but then i stop to think it's an internet forum , and a lot of people might find this site exactly like I did ...on a google search:)
    tbh if ever someone recognised me from here I would rather it said to me then them wondering or me even!!!
    It would make me like them more and it would be a good icebreaker as I'm one of those people that can be nervous of new people

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

A poster that made me really laugh and who I respected on boards turned out to be someone that I knew in real life, they were nice if a bit more reserved in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

We need a secret handshake. Say no more, right.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

yeah i think i know lodgepole and notjim. if i'm not mistaken lodgepole knows a certain red haired phycisist and the legend that is howard. And i reckon notjim may have studied maths with me in college for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yep, I knew SMcCarrick years ago in first year in secondary school. Other than that I know of people who read boards but don't post!!

I also recognise a few names from NUIMaynooth mikado and would have known one or two to see (perhaps even lectured to one or two in Biology) but they wouldn't know who I am ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

r3nu4l wrote:
    Yep, I knew SMcCarrick years ago in first year in secondary school. Other than that I know of people who read boards but don't post!!

I also recognise a few names from NUIMaynooth mikado and would have known one or two to see (perhaps even lectured to one or two in Biology) but they wouldn't know who I am ;)
    Aww, you know my fiancee, how cute. Was he as nice then as he is now?

Shane also used to work with a really funny and decent poster on Boards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

r3nu4l wrote:
    o.O
    I'm not in biology but *curious*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I was recently talking to a mate who was on boards and he said something to me that I had posted on Boards. He knows I'm on Boards but doesn't know my username. I didn't tell him it was me though. I'll see can I freak him out by posting all of our conversations on Boards and wait until he thinks someone is stalking him before I'll tell him it was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I'm pretty sure that I know a few from the Midlands forum, but we'd never admit it.

1st rule of boardsie is - you do not talk about boardsie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

A few of my friends and myself all joined boards around the same time without knowing about each other for a while. That was a bit strange.

Possibly more could be revealed at the beers aswell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Think i'm Billy Nomates :(
    CathyMoran wrote:
    A poster that made me really laugh and who I respected on boards turned out to be someone that I knew in real life, they were nice if a bit more reserved in real life.

Ah yes, the internet persona, all thunder on paper. Quiet in reality.

Never meet your heros guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Ah it's practically a guarantee that I know SOMEONE on these boards from a past life, but just have no idea of the person behind the username.

Someone should go to feedback and suggest a 'Boards reunited forum' where you can start threads dropping major hints to see if you know people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

There used to be a 'know your nerds' page on boards, where has it gone?

Or mebbe we can set up a new updated one?

Advertisement