Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

He's got an exit wound - wtf?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thaedydal wrote:
    Some bullets do explode, infact they are desgined to do so.
    They go in like a peanut and out like a pietray.
    Ie a 22 to 35 mil entry wound and a 4 to 6 inch exit wound.

Bullets (smallarms' ball ammo less then .50mm) fragment, they don't explode, there's a difference.

I've witnessed both a devastating exit wound from a .50mm & a 7.62mm(Haddatha, Lebanon 1989) and tiny exit wounds made by 5.56mm (UNISOM & UNIFIL).

Also, a .22 is very unlikely to cause an exit wound. Even in IDF service, its primarily (in comparision to a nato rd) a low volocity rd. The IDF use the Ruger 10.22 with a full suppressed barrel as a sniper weapon for ranges less than 100mtrs.

But lets face it guys. No matter if you've got an exit wound or not your looking at an immediate medi-vac from the combat zone. And one won't be given preference over the other.

il gatto wrote:
    In the Zulu wars, the British found that their Martini Henry rifle bullets, passed straight through Zulu warriors who were attacking them. They started using the Webley pistol, which had a much lower muzzle velocity, but fired a massive bullet. Being shot with a Webley was apparently like being hit by a bus, as the slower moving bullet actually flattened its target. Difference between a speedy slap to the face and a big punch, I suppose. So high powered does not necessarily mean most lethal.
    Moral of the story is, don't get yourself shot to find out:confused:

So what happened in the Falklands when the British SAS discovered their new NATO standard round, the 5.56mm had almost no stopping power compared to its larger counterpart used by the Para's etc the 7.62mm (FN FAL).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

After many many many hours wasted/spent watching CSI etc I missed all the points ye are making. I thought the only reason they cared about exit wounds was if there was one the bullet had exited the body so they had to look for it to find out what kind it was to trace the gun - no exit wound then they would be looking for it in the body.

Oh and of course the exit and entry wound would tell where the person was shot from. I love all the time they spend on reinactments and Crime Scene Investigation on CSI - they must really have a lot of cops there in proportion to the crime rate!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Mairt wrote:
    So what happened in the Falklands when the British SAS discovered their new NATO standard round, the 5.56mm had almost no stopping power compared to its larger counterpart used by the Para's etc the 7.62mm (FN FAL).

At a guess, and I've no proof, I'd say they may have tampered with the bullets. Putting a nick in the point makes them fragment, whizzing around in the body and causing severe wounds. They call those bullets dum dums, and one of the unnamed Para's who took part in the Bloody Sunday shootings said (at the latest inquiry) they were issued with extra ammunition which they "modified" en route to Derry.
    Like I say, it's a possibility. It's illegal under the Geneva convention, which tightly regulates what type of ammunition is allowed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Did they hang entry and exit signs?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

DaveMcG wrote:
    It's because if the bullet doesn't exit, then it stays in the body, and once metal is exposed to the acid within your stomach for example, for too long, it becomes very volatile, and has a tendency to explode. This isn't going to hurt anyone around you or anything! But the little shards of metal are then likely to damage other organs which they hit, rather than just the (hopefully) one that it "goes it and out" (cop term :)) of.

Thus, an exit wound is a good thing :) *ahem*

That my friend is absolute rubbish of the highest order.Bullets are made of lead usually with a nickel or copper jacketing.They dont react with stomach acid because lead is unnafected by stomach acid.They also do not become unstable and "liable to explode".,it is an impossibility that an inert metal can become an unstable explosive by the action of stomach acid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Mairt wrote:
    Bullets don't explode!

What about HE rounds? :D
    Hollowtip rounds will break apart and fragment on impact, spraying little bits all in your body about the place. Not technically exploding, but close enough.
    Mairt wrote:

That wasn't the incident where they were using the green-tips was it? IIrc (not sure if it was the same), the bullets' velocity was too high, so when it hit a target, it would pass straight through at such speed that the target wouldn't really even feel it. Albeit unless it hit the heart or some other vital organ obviously.

That last bit there could be complete bs, but it springs to mind. I'll go off and see what I can find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The big difference is that an entry wound is nice and neat,relatively easy to treat and suture ,whereas an exit wound tends to be jagged and much bigger due to some projectile deformation.

Stick a nail in an out thru a Coke can and compare the result both sides and it will give you a small idea of the difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Depleted Uranium flechettes anyone?

I'm surprised no one has started on about them yet.

chamlis wrote:
    Depleted Uranium flechettes anyone?

I'm surprised no one has started on about them yet.

You mean depleted uranium sub-munitions?A flechette is a small dart-like projectile what wont penetrate no tank nowheres!

• Advertisement

Depleted uranium slugs ftw.

Flechette's won't penetrate no tank, but they'll mince a person fairly lively.

Spike wrote:
    Depleted uranium slugs ftw.

Flechette's won't penetrate no tank, but they'll mince a person fairly lively.

Loaded into a shell and set the fuze to airburst,flechettes are a beautifull of way of dealing with infantry.Most of the enemy wont be killed either,just greviously wounded so thier comrades have to listen to them screaming and have to carry them around whilst being harrased by the enemy.Mines have a wonderfully similar psychological effect on morale too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Mairt wrote:

I've heard some people in Iraq still use thier .45 over the 9mm Beretta due to its better stopping power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Mairt wrote:

5.56MM Is also the standard NATO round used by the Irish Military in the Steyr AUG, Oh i wish we didnt get rid of the 7.62MM FN...Powerful weapon...but then again i love firing the Bren/GPMG 7.62MM.

Steyr wrote:
    5.56MM Is also the standard NATO round used by the Irish Military in the Steyr AUG, Oh i wish we didnt get rid of the 7.62MM FN...Powerful weapon...but then again i love firing the Bren/GPMG 7.62MM.

thats a woman's gun..browning.50 BMG...bring it ON muthaf uckahs!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Spike wrote:
    Hollowtip rounds will break apart and fragment on impact, spraying little bits all in your body about the place

This won't be caused by stomach acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Degsy wrote:
    You mean depleted uranium sub-munitions?A flechette is a small dart-like projectile what wont penetrate no tank nowheres!

Anti-tank APFSDS are kind of like flechettes, just really really big ones.:D

Check out this bad boy:

http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Sniper/Steyr_AMR.htm

I would not like to take a hit from this

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm old fashined, me ...

Give me one of these, that'll stop anything.

http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg08-e.htm

Cake Fiend wrote:
    This won't be caused by stomach acid.

Er yeah, I know. I did say they break apart on impact. Where'd I say anything about stomach acids...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I saw a movie years ago and this guy in it ratted out someone in the Mafia so they made an example of him. The stuck a 22 auto loaded with low velocity ammo into his anus and shot upwards several times and threw him still alive into a dumpster. No entry wound, no exit wound, horrible internal injuries. All in all a severe pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Nobody mentioned the Miniball used in the American Civil War... I am disappointed.....

Steyr wrote:

Wow is it?...

Just kidding, I know it is!.

When I joined the Defence Forces we used the FN, and IMHO it doesn't compare to using the Steyr on a whole lot of levels. From firing it, to cleaning it and using it oversea's in both tropical conditions to almost artic conditions in the Balkans.

The FN was way beyond its use by date, there's not a chance it would have stood up to the conditions the Steyr has since its induction.

As for the Bren and GPMG. Well 'tis along time since I fired the Bren, way back in my FCA days in the late 70's at least. And as for the GPMG, well firing it is ok but damned if I want to carry it!.

Mairt wrote:
    As for the Bren and GPMG. Well 'tis along time since I fired the Bren, way back in my FCA days in the late 70's at least. And as for the GPMG, well firing it is ok but damned if I want to carry it!.

I have fond memories of stripping and assembling the Bren while blindfolded as a 14 year old. You gotta love growing up in Northern Ireland.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

MrPudding wrote:
    I have fond memories of stripping and assembling the Bren while blindfolded as a 14 year old. You gotta love growing up in Northern Ireland.

MrP

I wrecked my Sergeant's head by stripping and doing the additional armourer's stripping in the time allocated for normal stripping. He had never seen it done before and had no idea how to put it back together. He freaked. I had gotten a manual from a friend who was in an alternate military organization.;)

Hagar wrote:
    I wrecked my Sergeant's head by stripping and doing the additional armourer's stripping in the time allocated for normal stripping. He had never seen it done before and had no idea how to put it back together. He freaked. I had gotten a manual from a friend who was in an alternate military organization.;)

Bloody show off!Just as long as you can get it back togeher without any bits left over.

Hagar wrote:

Every once and a while the UDR or thr RIR would set up stands in my town. The usual "we're not that bad" crap. There would be a trailer where you could watch recruitment movies and a trailer for air rifle shooting. In addition they also had half a dozen guys wondering round for security. I liked to target them. I was a small arms instructor in the Army Cadet Force when I was 15.

The typical encounter would go like this:

Me: Mister, what is that thing?
    Soldier: That is a rifle son. An SA80.
    Me: It look really cool.
    Soldier: Yes. It is really cool.
    Me: Can I hold it please?
    Soldier: Well, not really.
    Me: Please?
    Soldier: Well ok.

Soldier then unloads rifle and hands it to innocent child, he then turns round to his mates for a chat. Innocent child then strips rifle, including gas parts and bolt block. Steals firing pin and does runner before soldier knows what is going on.

Lovely.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Thanks for the info lads, seems we've gone a bit off topic at this stage so I'm gonna back out of it :)

ciaranfo wrote:
    Thanks for the info lads, seems we've gone a bit off topic at this stage so I'm gonna back out of it :)

Your making an EXIT?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Hagar wrote:

:D My brother tried that once but had enough bits left over after re-assembly to make a BAP...:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement