Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landing in Dublin Airport in the winds of Sh*t

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

As a previous poster said ,if(and I seriously doubt it)that aircraft had not enough fuel to divert to Snn after two attempts to land at Dub,then the crew will have questions to answer.

When preparing flight plans there will always be a contingency built in to the fuel load uplifted to allow for a diversion to the nearest alternate airport,taking into account the current and forecasted weather conditions at the destination.If i understood the OP correctly ,making a third attempt to land ,knowing there was not enough fuel left to abort and divert would be a major no-no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

Wouldn't fancy being in a plane full of screaming people!! Whether there was danger or not that would unnerve the hell out of me!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Been through most weather conditions now, and only once have I ever been really afraid, and thats when sitting across from a member of the cabin crew. Considering she was one of the senior cabin crew and looked pretty afraid, I felt with good cause that there was something to worry about.

I went through seriously bad turbulence over Indonesia a few years ago, it was truly terrifying. The woman beside me was hysterical.
    Also had a dreadful flight from Glasgow to Dublin once in weather similar to yesterday's, it was so windy the ground staff had to battle for ten minutes to wheel the stairs over to the door when we landed.
    I've been on 200+ flights in my life and generally you don't get really bad turbulence in Europe unless there's a storm or something.
    Flying over the Bay of Bengal or South China Sea, now that's scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

6ix wrote:
    While we're on the subject, have a look at how the planes land in St Martin in the Carribean. It's amazing, they're just feet above the beach every time they land, takes some skill from the pilots I'd imagine.
    No more skill than landing on any other runway in the world. It's just a beach instead of a field/road on front of the runway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Hubby is a fireman out in the airport and he said it was amazing watching them coming in. He saw a few just about to land and then flying straight back up. Scary.
    Happened to us coming in from London a few years ago and the cabin crew looked worried. We could see the ground then we couldnt the plane was rocking so much.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Sparky-s wrote:
    Plane related:

I once experienced a sonic boom by those planes from area 51 in Nevada last year.
    Oh what a sound it is. I never looked around for sounds on them or clips, but I found one that is exactly like what happened when I was in Nevada.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=annkM6z1-FE

Thats nothing, I remember being at the air show up in Baldonnell a few years ago and a F-15 a the Ulster air show popped down for a fly by. He came in low and fast over the flight line (I'd say about 100 ft) at full throttle, nearly knocked me over!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

gonker wrote:
    Happened to us coming in from London a few years ago and the cabin crew looked worried. We could see the ground then we couldnt the plane was rocking so much.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the cabin crew, as frequently as they fly and all, they are not exactly experts in flying?!

I once worked on a big ferry between Ireland and France, one stormy winters trip the ship was all over the place in the big seas and the girls in duty free were literally in tears thinking it was the end of the world. Freaking the passengers out so much the captain had to make an announcement to say that, yes it was wild, but we were fine and would just be a bit behind schedule as we had to slow down a little.

Just because they wear a uniform, doesn't make them experts! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

But my cousin Walter jerked off in public once. True story. He was on a plane to New Mexico when all of the sudden the hydraulics went. The plane started spinning around, going out of control, so he decides it's all over and whips it out and starts beating it right there. So all the other passengers take a cue from him and they start whipping it out and beating like mad. So all the passengers are beating off, plummeting to their certain doom, when all of the sudden, *Snap* the hydraulics kick back in. The plane rights itself and it land safely and everyone puts their pieces or, whatever, you know, away and deboard. No one mentions the phenomenon to anyone else.

Gil Hicks: Well, did he cum, or what?

Brodie: Jesus Christ, man. There's just some things you don't talk about in public.

TK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

try landing in similar turbulance on an icey runway and having to make 3 attempts because the plane kept slipping too far down the runway to stop in time.

yeah landing in new york on new years day 2001 was fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    you even left a comment how cute

*hugs*

Trust you BlitzKrieg to spot that,*Pose*.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dvega

Ya i flew in from liverpool into shannon yesterday,didnt have to circle or anything but it was one of the worst landings i have ever been on everybody came off the plane green in colour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

5uspect wrote:
    Thats nothing, I remember being at the air show up in Baldonnell a few years ago and a F-15 a the Ulster air show popped down for a fly by. He came in low and fast over the flight line (I'd say about 100 ft) at full throttle, nearly knocked me over!

Yeah but did the windows in your cars all smash? :)

Btw, those sekret jets (3) were lower than the concord in that video ;)

Sparky-s wrote:
    Yeah but did the windows in your cars all smash? :)

Btw, those sekret jets (3) were lower than the concord in that video ;)

No, luckily the cars were parked well away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭chabsey

Award for scariest trip home goes to me.

Flew in from Venice yesterday and had the usual people screaming as the plane wobbled madly coming in to land. Finally landed and taxied to a stop. Winds were rocking the plane badly and they had problems moving the stairs over towards the plane. Eventually they start to push the stairs towards us only for them to be blown over!

So we have to change bays cause the wind is too severe where we were. We move and there's more problems with the stairs which are eventually sorted.

Get off, collect bags and head out to collect the car. See an Aerlingus jet come in to land, almost manage it and then decide at the last second to go back up, interesting to see at close quaters.

Finally get out onto the old airport road, am driving home when a huge tree on the otherside of the road falls and hits an ESB pole which cuts the electrical wire which proceeds to fall on top of my moving car!!! HUGE bang and massive shower of sparks.

Swerve madly, pull in further up the road, get someone to call the police and survey the damage. Amazingly there's only a line across the roof of the car, across one of the windows and down the side of the front door.

Got home safely. The end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fireblade1

5uspect wrote:

i was at the air show in galway this summer and there were two F15s and they both did fly bys - i was sitting on the rocks beside the water and the coastline was the flight line - i was in heaven it was amazing just the noise and the speed and the power! i can barely put into words what i felt like- still feel like when i think about it!

the whole air show was pretty cool actually very impressed all those planes and helicopters and pilots - yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

Bambi wrote:
    That's pretty damn sweet. Am i the only person who enjoys bumpy landings? I mean you're in the hands of the pilot (and maybe god) so whats the point in worrying? And hey, if you gotta go then a plane crash is a fairly rocking way to clock out.

One of the most stupid things I have ever heard.... and SAID.

I have no idea how to explain it properly but this feeling is just fun! :confused: The more turbulence the more intresting the ride.

chabsey wrote:
    Award for scariest trip home goes to me.

Flew in from Venice yesterday and had the usual people screaming as the plane wobbled madly coming in to land. Finally landed and taxied to a stop. Winds were rocking the plane badly and they had problems moving the stairs over towards the plane. Eventually they start to push the stairs towards us only for them to be blown over!

So we have to change bays cause the wind is too severe where we were. We move and there's more problems with the stairs which are eventually sorted.

Get off, collect bags and head out to collect the car. See an Aerlingus jet come in to land, almost manage it and then decide at the last second to go back up, interesting to see at close quaters.

Finally get out onto the old airport road, am driving home when a huge tree on the otherside of the road falls and hits an ESB pole which cuts the electrical wire which proceeds to fall on top of my moving car!!! HUGE bang and massive shower of sparks.

Swerve madly, pull in further up the road, get someone to call the police and survey the damage. Amazingly there's only a line across the roof of the car, across one of the windows and down the side of the front door.

Got home safely. The end.

Now thats scary! Sounds like the landing was a piece of p!ss compared to the rest! That rolling is called a dutch roll, it can be seriously stomach churning. If I remember correctly airbus flight control systems can damp it out most of the time.
    fireblade1 wrote:
    i was at the air show in galway this summer and there were two F15s and they both did fly bys - i was sitting on the rocks beside the water and the coastline was the flight line - i was in heaven it was amazing just the noise and the speed and the power! i can barely put into words what i felt like- still feel like when i think about it!

the whole air show was pretty cool actually very impressed all those planes and helicopters and pilots - yum!

You should go to the Farnborough airshow, they have all the best toys, plus its a short train ride from London so it makes a great weekend away.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

5uspect wrote:
    No, luckily the cars were parked well away!

heheh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fireblade1

5uspect wrote:
    You should go to the Farnborough airshow, they have all the best toys, plus its a short train ride from London so it makes a great weekend away.

sounds good i bet i could persuade my brother to put me up and act as tour guide !

what time of year is it usually on ? ( i suppose i could be less lazy and just google it or something !);)

• Advertisement

Oh it won't be on until July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

I landed in that too .. stuck in Doncaster airport for 4 hours, and when it did finally get as far as Dublin the approach was horrendous... fair play to the pilot, :D , bet he enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭rossious

This is how they start the indy car racing / supercars on the Gold coast in Oz...... Loud and cool.

http://www.rossandtherese.com/travelvideo/Indy%20Weekend/Indy%20-%20F111%20Dump%20and%20Burn.wmv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Jesus H. Christ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

I got a flight on Sunday Night at 8 from Dublin. I was feeling lucky that the flight wasnt cancelled considering flights 1hour earlier were. Taking off from Dublin there was no problem but when we got over the Irish Sea there was nothing but turbulence for 1 hour. Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

was coming from stanstead to dublin on sunday
    plane circled for 30 mins
    finally began approach at about 1pm
    missed it due to wind, plane was all over the place, was terrifying
    had to divert to shannon to 3 hour coach ride
    everyone on place was shitting it!
    wudnt wish it on my worst enemy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Skitbra

I have to agree with Mushy. I absolutely love landing in turbulence. It's so much fun, that feeling of flying sideways only for the pilot to straighten up just as you land.
    Taking off, now that's a different story. I hate that. Scares me ****less.
    Completely irrational though, as we all know taking off is safer than landing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Ugh ....
    You know, when your landing in bad weather the pilot is not flying the plane, he only has control after its touched down.

Cork uses a CAT II Instrument Landing System, if the weather is beyond the tolerance of that the flights get diverted to Shannon or Dublin.

i.e. when you heard and engine increasing thrust to compensate for the roll, it was a computer, the pilot was sitting there hoping the thing would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Takeoff is actually the most dangerous part of the flight, the plane is at its heaviest and at its lowest in energy, if an engine fails just after takeoff or any kind of problem with the aircraft happens before it has enough speed to fly and climb you're in big trouble. Thankfully planes are very very safe, well maintained and flown by pilots who have practised every event in a simulator several times over each year so you're in good hands...

That video above of the 757 in lisbon is actually a terrible example of flying, the pilot should have gone around long before he did and not allowed the plane to "float" and wobble so much, dangerously close to striking an engine, wing or gear off the runway.

Its one of the safest forms of travelling people! You have a far greater chance of dying every day when you sit into your car :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

craichoe wrote:
    Ugh ....
    You know, when your landing in bad weather the pilot is not flying the plane, he only has control after its touched down.

Cork uses a CAT II Instrument Landing System, if the weather is beyond the tolerance of that the flights get diverted to Shannon or Dublin.

i.e. when you heard and engine increasing thrust to compensate for the roll, it was a computer, the pilot was sitting there hoping the thing would work.

not in those kind of crossinds though, what autoland system can deal with 20-30kts gusting 60? Pilots certainly dont "sit there" hoping it would work, they'd come down the ILS until 2-5 miles and hand fly her down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement