Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landing in Dublin Airport in the winds of Sh*t

Options
  • 03-12-2006 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Ok, so flew into dublin airport this morning from france, we were supposed to land at 11 but the pilot say that we couldnt land because of the winds, we circled three times and eventually we had to land because we didnt have enough fuel to go to shannon.

Holy sh*t.....we came in and the plane rocked so much that people were screaming and kids were crying, because of the cross winds he had to hit the left engine with a lot of power so that engine was screaming....

it was crazy..he was some fucin pilot. When we landed there was the usual gay clapping etc but this is where I relised how lucky we were....

when we were on the ground and parked the wind was so bad that it was rocking the plane like it was in turbalence, people were nearly falling over with the force....

much to say that my sunday blues have now been replaced with a new found look on life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Jesus, I wouldn't like that at all. I guess you only appreciate the value of a good pilot in situations like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Paddy_Irishman

I guess your lucky you were Passenger 57 on Air Force One and those lads are good at Pushing Tin, and didnt get Red Eye and that the pilot must be a Top Gun.

Did you see any Snakes on the Plane or was it just a Con Air? :D

Seriously thou, thats freaky. Pray to God, Allah, Ali G or who ever you do do your thing with sounds like you were lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Gator wrote:
    much to say that my sunday blues have now been replaced with a new found look on life.

Because you landed in turbulance! :D lol

Just messin ;) I wouldn't like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Gator wrote:
    eventually we had to land because we didnt have enough fuel to go to shannon.

If that's true and they landed above crosswind limits then the flight crew may be looking for new jobs. I doubt it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭davmigil

Gator wrote:
    Ok, so flew into dublin airport this morning from france, we were supposed to land at 11 but the pilot say that we couldnt land because of the winds, we circled three times and eventually we had to land because we didnt have enough fuel to go to shannon.

Holy sh*t.....we came in and the plane rocked so much that people were screaming and kids were crying, because of the cross winds he had to hit the left engine with a lot of power so that engine was screaming....

it was crazy..he was some fucin pilot. When we landed there was the usual gay clapping etc but this is where I relised how lucky we were....

when we were on the ground and parked the wind was so bad that it was rocking the plane like it was in turbalence, people were nearly falling over with the force....

You must have been on the last few flights to go. Most flights from France (and elsewhere I guess) cancelled now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

glad i didnt fly home this weekend...*phew*

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Landing is a cross wind is fun! :)

From airliners.net and here

I'd be very shocked to find that you were that low on fuel. Seriously scary stuff tho, I hope you're not put off flying by the experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If you don't like landing and taking off in high winds or cross winds, then don't fly to (or connect through) Denver, Colorado, USA, the mile high city next to the Rockies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

i was there today and saw the last flight trying to come in. it aborted really late. after that 2 more planes took off but there were no further landings. woulda been scary as hell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sizzler wrote:

That's pretty damn sweet. Am i the only person who enjoys bumpy landings? I mean you're in the hands of the pilot (and maybe god) so whats the point in worrying? And hey, if you gotta go then a plane crash is a fairly rocking way to clock out.

Except the burning aviation fuel bit. That wouldnt be nice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

lol, the vid shows a plane nearly crashing and to the right of it "aer lingus city breaks offer !!"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Sizzler wrote:

Savage stuff indeed. Wouldn't have liked to be on that flight at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Gator wrote:
    we circled three times and eventually we had to land because we didnt have enough fuel to go to shannon.

Shannon is only 20 - 25 mins flight from dublin. You must have been seriously low on fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I'm not getting the whole 'flew into Dublin airport thing, had to land cos of not enough fuel to go to shannon' thing.

You'd have had to land at Dublin anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

kaimera wrote:
    I'm not getting the whole 'flew into Dublin airport thing, had to land cos of not enough fuel to go to shannon' thing.

You'd have had to land at Dublin anyway?
    Conditions were very rough in dublin,they hadn't enough fuel to divert to shannon were winds were presumably weaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Wow. Glad you made it safely in one piece!
    Did you kiss the pilot? Or at least buy him a drink? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

reading this reminds me of my flight home from cyprus a few years ago when the plane took off into a massive thunderstorm, it was very scary and was up and down like a hoors kaks, it lasted for a good 20 mins which felt like a lifetime, even the cabin crew looked scared. i thought my number was up and i always hated flying as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i hate planes, i keep expecting the floor to rip away from below me when i am off the ground

at least when your boarding you can chicken out if the weather is bad, but once your up your soooo screwed, you have no say in anything

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Not sure if its wind related, but woah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk6RIerT2rU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

While we're on the subject, have a look at how the planes land in St Martin in the Carribean. It's amazing, they're just feet above the beach every time they land, takes some skill from the pilots I'd imagine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEnIsFJGQWc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj2kFS-nYig
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oan6w76qWrA

There are plenty more of those on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Plane related:

I once experienced a sonic boom by those planes from area 51 in Nevada last year.
    Oh what a sound it is. I never looked around for sounds on them or clips, but I found one that is exactly like what happened when I was in Nevada.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=annkM6z1-FE

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

you even left a comment how cute

*hugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tensecyclist

Whoa! that some experience to remember and be thankful of.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Awesome links, every one of them! Man I love planes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Been most of the way around the world and no major incidents, fairly straightforward. No complaints from me.

ugh, that was bad.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

On the way to Italy a bird flew into the engine of the plane as we were taking off from France (never Ryanair again lol) - it was pretty interesting... we got the fire engines roaring down the tarmac after us treatment.

What was horrendous was that we had to wait 9 hours for the next flight (without any free nourishment from the airline company) :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭rossious

In Cork planes often have to do the whole coming in to land sideways thing.

Cork always has cross winds coming up from the coast blowing accross the runway. I have often landed there on a windy day where the pilot, at the very last couple of seconds blasts the engines up on one side to straighten the plane just before it hits the tarmac. Scary, but ya get used to it. Fair play to them though. Donno how they judge it everytime. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The winds at Dublin airport can be pretty savage sometimes. I go over and back a lot and have two favourites.

The first was a descent followed by a pretty sharp pull up, followed by "Ladies and gentlemen this is the captain, sorry about that, we just got a bit close to someone on the ground. We have to go around again now."

The second was landing in a cross wind. At one stage it felt like the plane moved about 20ft to the left, and my stomach stayed in the original spot...

As for the linkie to the very bad crosswinds landing - it shows how safe flying really is - look how the pilot was able to decide "this is such a bad idea" pull out, and steady the plane? How many drivers do you know can get out of a skid, or know what to do if they're towing a trailer and it starts to see-saw behind them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Conditions were very rough in dublin,they hadn't enough fuel to divert to shannon were winds were presumably weaker?

But its against the law to be that low on fuel isn't it?
    I remember something about a Nigerian airline being banned from flying into Europe because of precisely that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement