Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariest experience?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I had bike accident much like that when I was about 7. Same as that with the face, but no broken bones. I was actually ****ting gravel for a few weeks :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

blahhh wrote:
    -At 12 I got a horribly painful headache along with blurred vision and vomiting, my hyperchondriac of a mother and numerous neighbours were all convinced I had meningitis and drove me to several GPs until they could find an open office, where loads of tests etc. were carried out. It was only a severe migraine...scary none the less.

Something similar happened to my sister when she was 13, she had all the symptoms, couldn't open her eyes to light etc.. She didn't have the rash though, she was brought to hospital in the middle of the night and had to have a lumbar puncture (drain fluid from her spine) we could hear her screaming from the other end of the corridor, then we had to wait 24 hours to find out if it was Meningitis and if so what strain of it, if it was Bacterial she was a gonner... I was only 10 at the time but I can still remember how terrified we all were.. Anyway turned out to be Viral and thank God she got better… Was in hospital for a good while though.. Very scary :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

not sure if this is scary, surreal or what, but travelling on the London underground for the first time after the attacks was strange. It was just full of people staring at each other and praying they were going to get to work safely. This was about two weeks after the second attack, god knows what it was like before that.

I felt really sorry for the Asian guys because you could see that everybody eyed them with great suspicion.

God knows what it must have been like to be in one of the trains that were hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

KdjaCL wrote:
    1,Stabbed in the face by crazed wino/junkie 1 inch scar 10mm under
    my eye. Thankfully wearing glasses it doesnt get noticed.

2.Attemped stab in face blocked by my hand 12" bowie knife stuck in my hand went right tru , went to hospital and sorta said "dude theres a knife stuck in my hand" , why do we block sharp things with our hands.

3. 1st driving lesson , stolen car on wrong side of road overtaking a car and heading straight for me, swerved off road and hit wall nearly killing myself and whitefaced instructor, "would i pass" :D

4. Stabbed in stomach by dumbass kid, small scar.

5. Missing part of rib , no idea how but on my rib theres a huge gap, Dr said bone is in me somewhere no clue how or why but it could kill me.

6. being told i have hereidtary bowel cancer which will kill me as it has everyone in my family, groovy no need to diet so, brekkie rolls FTW.

theres more that i cnt recall now.

kdjac

jesus christ... remind me never to stand close to you :D

Had a few occassions to nearly shit meself:

1. Was involved in a car crash at 13, basically a car ran over me, broke bones and damaged the bottom of me spine. The doctor came in and presumed that I'd been told I'd probably wouldn't walk again, and he started talking about my options - totally browned meself :( (worked out well after though).

2. Was carrying a ladder over my head when the top of the ladder slipped down over the bottom, thereby catching me in the neck, thereby strangling me. Pretty much passed out, when I fell to the floor the ladder loosened.

3. Absolutely crapped myself when my brother (who was 5 or 6 at the time) was out swimming in the pool and he didn't resurface for ages. He was at the bottom of the pool motionless like. I jumped in fully clothed and pulled him out to the side, then he just started breathing.. madness!

4. A car crashed into me 2 years ago, and there was a baby in the front seat. The mother jumped out and was hysterical, shouting and screaming (as you would) thinking that her baby was seriously injured etc. I was totally out of it and I nearly collapsed, not from the shock of the crash, but cos of the fact that I was involved in injuring a new baby. It was one of the few times when the world totally slowed down and all I could focus on was the baby's breathing. Wierd.

5. Landing in the old Hong Kong airport, twice. Scary as anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

connundrum wrote:
    5. Landing in the old Hong Kong airport, twice. Scary as anything.

please, go on..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Ibid wrote:
    Very, very stupidly taking a quick walk along train-tracks and hearing the horn behind you. It was a good few years ago now.

The sound of a train moving goes to either side of it, you will not hear one coming up behind you.
    i can confirm this. i was walking along the tracks with my mate. turned to face him and noticed a light in the corner of my eye. it was a train about ten feet behind me. no horn or anything.

the second most scary thing that happened to me was nearly drowning in a kayak. i capsized at the bottom of a weir and got trapped in the white water. the boat was on top of me so i was pressed against the bottom, drowning in about a foot of water. thankfully i got to the end of the weir and it got deep again so i was able to get out. scary stuff and i stopped kayaking after that

my scariest moment was last month and was followed closely by the worst moment of my life. one of my best friends paul went to australia a few months ago with another friend, stephen. i got a call out of the blue from another friend of ours and he said "i've got a bit of bad news about paul". the few seconds before his next sentence were my scariest moment.

he and stephen were swimming in a bay just off bondi beach and they'd both been sucked out by a rip tide. stephen managed to get out of it and swim back but paul was missing. in three years that's the first time my girlfriend ever saw me cry. he was missing for nine days until his body washed up. the worst moment of my life was last monday when i had to pick up his coffin and carry it out of the church to a hearse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

KamiKazi wrote:
    please, go on..

We touched down on 13 runway about 4 days after this happened iirc :(
    4 November 1993 - A China Airlines Boeing 747-409 overran the 13 runway while landing during a typhoon. The wind was gusting to gale force at the time. Despite the plane's unstable approach the captain did not go around. It touched down more than 2/3 down the runway and was unable to stop before the runway ran out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

he and stephen were swimming in a bay just off bondi beach and they'd both been sucked out by a rip tide. stephen managed to get out of it and swim back but paul was missing. in three years that's the first time my girlfriend ever saw me cry. he was missing for nine days until his body washed up. the worst moment of my life was last monday when i had to pick up his coffin and carry it out of the church to a hearse

Jesus mate that must have been one of the hardest things to do, im sorry to hear about that and the loss of your friend. Somthing similar (although not as traumatic) happened to myself about 4 years ago. Me and my brother were swimming on a particular beach in ireland. We were swimming and obviously enjoying it as it was a warm day, the sea seemed calm and alright until we noticed that we started to drift down the beach quite fast, then big waves started forming, we knew it was time to stop swimming and get out its just......we couldn't. The vaccum of the water pulling back to sea was so strong we couldn't swim or even walk out of the water as it was pulling us back. Little by little it pulled us out to sea more, at this stage i was extremely panicing and desperatly trying to swim.

The massive waves kept crashing down on us and slamming us onto the waterbed. I was losing hope as the beach had no lifeguard and the current drifted us so far down the beach no one could see or hear us. Thankfully there was a headland of rocks(very jagged) ahead and the current was taking us there, we knew we could climb up onto them and get to safety. As a last insult the a massive wave crashed our bodies onto the jagged rocks, but we didn't think about being cut or stabbed at all, just getting the f**k outta there! We managed to get back to the beach with some cuts and a bit bloody but damn such a sigh of relief as i actually thought if the rocks weren't there we wouldn't be alive today.

Just next time your at the beach folks make damn sure there happens to be a lifeguard and don't head out to what may be choppy seas. Because the sea is a very fickle thing and you may be swimming your life instead of for a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Jesus some of the stuff here is horrible. My worst well 2 worst would have to be
    1) Being told i am partialy deaf not nice when 10.
    2) Playing football when i was about 9 a guy slid in on me and took a chip out of my shin (hurt like hell) then going to the doctor and being told (after a few weeks) that i had perthes (sp.) disease in my hip and i will have a limp for the rest of my life. Fine ill get used to it but then when i was 13 being told i would have to get an artificial hip in 10 - 15 years and that i would be in extreme pain around that time:eek: . Not what a 13 year old wants to hear. I am 17 now so I have to run around like a headless chicken till i am about 24:) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Held up (with a gun) when working in a petrol station during college.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I slipped off the edge of a cliff in howth when out walking by myself.The ground was snowy so i just sort of skated over the edge and was hanging on by a few clumps of grass.My legs were hanging in mid air and i've never been so scared.Because it had been snowing,i had almost no feeling in my hands so i was grabbing and nettles and stuff and trying to pull myself up,i eventually got my feet braced against the rock and hauled myself up.It was about a 100ft fall onto rocks if i hadnt made it so i really had no choice.That and feverishly remembering childhood prayers!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A knife held to my throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i suffer from agorophobia. i'm scared pretty much all day, every day.
    i have great reflexes as a result though, so it's not all bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Nothing remotely as scary as some of the things Ive read here, but mine are..

1. Snowboarding in Germany, had never done it before. It was an indoor place, basically in the shap of the letter V only one side was steeper than the other. I was struggling on the flatter side so God knows why I decided to try the steep one, but was on the way down, not even gone a quarter of the way when a classmate got in the way, had to turn a bit sideways and another classmate got in the way, so had to turn even more sideways and that did it. Ive been told I was at least 2 metres in the air (think I hit a lump of fake snow or something) and landed on the back of my neck and shoulders. I couldnt breathe for damn near 20 seconds, looked up to see my friend Tom laughing at me until he realised I wasnt messing 'Oh sh!t, hes really hurt...'. Not a fond memory, considering our teacher came over to me 'I know youre hurt, but its your own fault'. At least wait until I can breathe before you say that miss.

2. Finding out your girlfriend hasnt had her period yet (9 days later). At 18 years old, absolutely scared sh!tless. I'll never touch her again lol.

3. Walking out the entrance to my house (we used to live on a rural laneway), stopped for a split second to pick up a stone (I really dont know why) only for a tractor to drive past. Had I kept walking, I was a goner.

Advertisement