Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariest experience?

Options
  • 02-12-2006 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

So,any scary experiences among the clan? Recently got spear-tackled onto my neck during a rugby match and you could say I got slightly scared when I couldn't see at all for 10 seconds. How about anyone else??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Got my hand trapped in a cutting machine some years ago when I worked in a factory. It was my fretting hand so I thought my guitar hero career was over! When I got it released it was just one finger that was crushed, but it wasnt too bad. Seemed like hours before I got my hand out of there, but it was only about 8-10 seconds as the machine was in auto mode so it just lifted at the appointed time. Amazing how many things come into your head when you're bricking yourself. And yet, the strongest emotion I felt even above the fear was the embarrasment that I had been dumb enough to try to clear the thing when it was operating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I nearly lost my leg on a PTO shaft on a tractor a few years ago. I can't remember rightly what I was doing on the back of the tractor, but my trousers got caught in on the spinning shaft, and ripped the entire leg of the trousers of me. Luckly they were cheap light quality trousers and they ripped easily, if I was wearing stronger trousers like jeans, I'd reckon my leg would have been lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

the moment you discover that she is in fact a he...... Not that it ever happened to me.... :o
    That's a real crying game moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Nearly electrocuted myself when I crossed two multimeter probes over 220v and was blinded by the flash and the smoke. Melted the two probes, blew up the fuse in the plug and melted holes in the circuit board of the TV that I was repairing.

I was in shock for a minute or two afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

60 mph into a tree while rallying.... my first thought was my back is broke.... then about 20 seconds later i opened my eyes to see the other fellow jumping out so thought it mustent be too bad a crash.... so i got the OK board.... took me 15 mins to move anything elce... got out after a while and slowly crawed away...... anyho got up an dwalked away then... went to the doctor 2 days later who gave me loads of painkillers so i could go to my debs... that was a fun night :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

The call you recieve telling you that your dad has collapsed and has been rushed to hospital. While on the phone you can hear the ambulance driving off, but dont have a clue whats going on. Get to the hospital and all your hearing is surgery...brain... amongst other things. cant even touch him to see if he s okay as he s so sensitive to touch.
    Thankfully he was VERY lucky as he has recovered fully now, and it was a freak thing (touch wood), but a moment i will never forget and dont want to go through any time soon again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Wakin up next to yer ma! :eek:

On a serious note, breaking my spine and being told I might never walk again.
    Apart from that, car crashes etc. are pretty frightening at times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Nearly crushed against the side of a tunnel by a truck while cycling.

If i hadnt pulled the brakes when i did i would have been mince meat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Cancer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

car crash i was involved in about a year ago. old man on my side of the road headed straight for me. he drove off too which was fab!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

zippy28 wrote:
    the moment you discover that she is in fact a he...... Not that it ever happened to me.... :o
    That's a real crying game moment.

That happened to someone i know in a night club in London. He was chatting this one up and then he dropped the hand and found himself holding a hairy pair of nuts. He started to beat the guy up but got grabbed by a few bouncers and got thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Very, very stupidly taking a quick walk along train-tracks and hearing the horn behind you. It was a good few years ago now.

The sound of a train moving goes to either side of it, you will not hear one coming up behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

well off the top of my head mine which is no where near as bad as you guys but falling out of a bunk bed..kinda just a bit where u realise ur not in your bed..lol i was tryin to go up against the wall but i had switched ends of the bed that night so instead of wall being on me right its was left so >>>>>
    -
    -
    -
    owch

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chubba1984

Fell head-first 20-25 feet out of a tree as a young fella and landed in a briar hedge bout 6 inches from a jagged stone wall. If I landed on it I was finished. The helpless feeling while I fell, knowin what was beneath me, won't ever be forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

ya car crash especially when you realise you have no control over the car and everything just goes into slow motion ah im goin to die.the a few seconds later im ok oh wait my legs broken :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I nearly hung myself when i was about 9 or 10. Not an emo suicidal thing, basicaly I was making a tree house(a few planks:rolleyes:) when I sliped out of the tree and my hood got caught on a large nail. I couldn't breath for like 30 seconds then my brother came out and lifted my legs up so i lived to tell the tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

nesf wrote:
    Nearly electrocuted myself when I crossed two multimeter probes over 220v and was blinded by the flash and the smoke. Melted the two probes, blew up the fuse in the plug and melted holes in the circuit board of the TV that I was repairing.

I was in shock for a minute or two afterwards.

Got a bad shock myself, working with a 3 phase powered machine. I put my hand into a stream of water leaking over an electricity wire that had a split in it, the shock knocked me on my arse but was ok after a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1,Stabbed in the face by crazed wino/junkie 1 inch scar 10mm under
    my eye. Thankfully wearing glasses it doesnt get noticed.

2.Attemped stab in face blocked by my hand 12" bowie knife stuck in my hand went right tru , went to hospital and sorta said "dude theres a knife stuck in my hand" , why do we block sharp things with our hands.

3. 1st driving lesson , stolen car on wrong side of road overtaking a car and heading straight for me, swerved off road and hit wall nearly killing myself and whitefaced instructor, "would i pass" :D

4. Stabbed in stomach by dumbass kid, small scar.

5. Missing part of rib , no idea how but on my rib theres a huge gap, Dr said bone is in me somewhere no clue how or why but it could kill me.

6. being told i have hereidtary bowel cancer which will kill me as it has everyone in my family, groovy no need to diet so, brekkie rolls FTW.

theres more that i cnt recall now.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Few years ago, coming home from college a little kid (maybe 5 or 6) ran into the middle of the road as a car was coming. I ran out and grabbed him, tuning m back to the car. It hit me and I bounced off it and onto the ground. I was paralysed with shock for a few moments afterwards, just terrified that the kid (who wasn't moving) was dead.

This was followed by my most painfull moment, when the little bastard got up and stood on my nuts!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

thrill wrote:
    That happened to someone i know in a night club in London. He was chatting this one up and then he dropped the hand and found himself holding a hairy pair of nuts. He started to beat the guy up but got grabbed by a few bouncers and got thrown out.
    Also a scene in the film Crockadile Dundee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

KdjaCL wrote:

2.Attemped stab in face blocked by my hand 12" bowie knife stuck in my hand went right tru , went to hospital and sorta said "dude theres a knife stuck in my hand" , why do we block sharp things with our hands.

3. 1st driving lesson , stolen car on wrong side of road overtaking a car and heading straight for me, swerved off road and hit wall nearly killing myself and whitefaced instructor, "would i pass" :D

5. Missing part of rib , no idea how but on my rib theres a huge gap, Dr said bone is in me somewhere no clue how or why but it could kill me.

6. being told i have hereidtary bowel cancer which will kill me as it has everyone in my family, groovy no need to diet so, brekkie rolls FTW.

kdjac

Where the hell do you live! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh, and don't worry about the cancer. My doc told me I had terminal lung cancer. No cure, no hope. Yet, one year later, there's not a sign of it! Human body is an amazing thing! :)

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac

You serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think you need a long vacation, KdjaCL. :)

Nothing major here, our car nearly went under the front of a lorry when I was about 12.

humanji wrote:
    Where the hell do you live! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh, and don't worry about the cancer. My doc told me I had terminal lung cancer. No cure, no hope. Yet, one year later, there's not a sign of it! Human body is an amazing thing! :)
    Great to see someone with a positive attitude to cancer, too often people see the negative and refuse to be upbeat and determined to beat it. I said that cancer was my scariest experience but it has also brought a lot of positive things into my life such as the way I appreciate everyday things, do not get me wrong, I am not glad that I have it but I am making the most of this time. My cancer is a very bad one too (very low survival rates of between 8-10%) but I am determined to beat it. I love Shane and am determined to have a long and healthy life with him, also if I died it would destroy my father and I could not do that, I love him. Well done to you.

Other scary things - when my mum got seriously ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You serious?

Umm theres a good few more to add to that :o

7. Mother fell down stairs drunk and for 2 days said she had headache, Sis in law dragged her to talaght hospital where they found a blood clot inpounding on her brain and sent her to Beaumonut for emergency brain surgery , doc in beuamont reckoned she had about 20 minutes to live until tallaght doc spotted it.

8. Kid fell down stairs and was lifeless when i picked her up, ambulance crew said she was sleeping and brought her to hospital where they confirmed she was sleeping and had not got a single makr on her due to sleepwalking and falling down stairs.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭smallpaws

I was out hauling lobster traps with my dad when I was about sixteen, and I was preoccupied with pulling the trap up over the side without throwing my back out and unbeknownst to me, while I worked, the rope from the up-coming trap was coiling down from the pothauler (technical word we use) on the deck and around my left boot. I remember I emptied the trap, baited it back up and gave it a shove back over the side and then felt something like a hot whip flying up and around my ankle and jumping WAY up, trying to get out of the way. I couldn't believe how FAST it went, the damn thing pulled my boot off.

My dad laughed at me, "You won't forget what I told you about minding the rope again, will you?" I was pretty shook up, more than a few people have been hauled overboard and drowned that way. I learned how easy it was and how fast it can happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭smallpaws

doc told me I had terminal lung cancer. No cure, no hope. Yet, one year later, there's not a sign of it! Human body is an amazing thing!

It is, really. I used to work for the Cancer Society, and you'd be suprised at how often people given little to no hope beat the odds. I have met one man who had a spontaneous remission of lung cancer, another of pancreatic cancer and God knows how many people given no real chance to live (like in less than 8 or 5 %) beyond five years kick cancer's ass, including the big killers, lung, liver, colon and pancreatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Sleep Paralysis

nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

CathyMoran wrote:
    Great to see someone with a positive attitude to cancer, too often people see the negative and refuse to be upbeat and determined to beat it. I said that cancer was my scariest experience but it has also brought a lot of positive things into my life such as the way I appreciate everyday things, do not get me wrong, I am not glad that I have it but I am making the most of this time. My cancer is a very bad one too (very low survival rates of between 8-10%) but I am determined to beat it. I love Shane and am determined to have a long and healthy life with him, also if I died it would destroy my father and I could not do that, I love him. Well done to you.

Other scary things - when my mum got seriously ill.

Yeah, spontaneous remissions can, and do, happen. Never give up hope. :)

• Advertisement

smallpaws wrote:
    doc told me I had terminal lung cancer. No cure, no hope. Yet, one year later, there's not a sign of it! Human body is an amazing thing!

It is, really. I used to work for the Cancer Society, and you'd be suprised at how often people given little to no hope beat the odds. I have met one man who had a spontaneous remission of lung cancer, another of pancreatic cancer and God knows how many people given no real chance to live (like in less than 8 or 5 %) beyond five years kick cancer's ass, including the big killers, lung, liver, colon and pancreatic.
    Good post, am in that group and I am determined to beat it too (I quoted the most optimistic stats), sure isn't my fiancee the most wonderful man, I could not leave him. Fair dues to you for working with the Cancer Society, they are of great help to me at the moment.

Another scary thing was being there when my gran died but it was also a wonderful experience as she was 100 when she died so it really was her time.

Advertisement