Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail, gangsters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Fair Play to you! Well Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

daymobrew wrote:
    I stuck the sign that I proposed onto the side of the ticket booth. See attached photo.

I spoke with the Station Master (based in Maynooth) about putting a sign up. He sounded appreciative. I also got the impression that he'd look into ordering an official one, though that could take a while.

Why didnt you charge him the 25 euro I had to pay in the end????

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

daymobrew wrote:
    I stuck the sign that I proposed onto the side of the ticket booth. See attached photo.

I spoke with the Station Master (based in Maynooth) about putting a sign up. He sounded appreciative. I also got the impression that he'd look into ordering an official one, though that could take a while.
    Fair play for taking the initiative, although I'm assuming you're just a "joe soap" member of the public, so I'm a bit surprised at the Station Master's reaction as surely you have no right to be attaching ANY signs (good idea or not) to IE property - certainly not where it also makes a policy statement.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the idea of what you did, but I guess I'm curious as to the "legality" (for want of a better term) of your actions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I agree with the idea of what you did, but I guess I'm curious as to the "legality" (for want of a better term) of your actions?

He said he spoke to the station master so I presume he asked him first.

Well done anyway, nice to see people taking the initiative when IR staff clearly don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

daymobrew wrote:

well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Fair play for taking the initiative, although I'm assuming you're just a "joe soap" member of the public, so I'm a bit surprised at the Station Master's reaction as surely you have no right to be attaching ANY signs (good idea or not) to IE property - certainly not where it also makes a policy statement.

Yes, I am "Mr Joe Soap".
    When I put the sign up in Drumcondra I spoke with the ticket guy beforehand.

I just rang the Coolmine station and told them what I did. The guy said that he'd seen people "reading something" on that platform and was wondering what it was.

I asked about making the ticket machines accessible when the ticket office was closed. He said that there was talk of it but felt that it would attract anti-social behaviour (vandalism, urination etc).

TBH I never thought about the "legality" of my action. I was purely focussed on what I felt was a helpful act, though you do have a point. Should I argue that as a State service, the station belongs to the people of which I am a member :p

daymobrew wrote:
    I just rang the Coolmine station and told them what I did. The guy said that he'd seen people "reading something" on that platform and was wondering what it was.
    This in itself highlights the problem perfectly - the guy was too lazy to even walk across to the other platform to see for himself :rolleyes:
    TBH I never thought about the "legality" of my action. I was purely focussed on what I felt was a helpful act, though you do have a point. Should I argue that as a State service, the station belongs to the people of which I am a member :p
    You could try it :D My concern though was that - even though you're right - you're committing IE to a set process which many of the stories here prove they readily ignore when it suits them to.

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    you're committing IE to a set process which many of the stories here prove they readily ignore when it suits them to.
    I explained to the guy in the ticket office the motivation for the sign. He said if, when the temp ticket office is closed, he locks the gate to the city bound platform (one the OP used) he gets complaints. You can't please all the people all the time.

As said earlier, the establishment of the temp ticket booth is quite a progressive move by the company. Before that they had a guy checking tickets on that side, sending those without tickets through the normal ticket office. This meant a slightly shorter walk for those with weekly/monthly tickets. Fair play to the company for both of these initiatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

daymobrew: I stuck the sign that I proposed onto the side of the ticket booth. See attached photo.

The fact that IE consents to and even endorses such a sign is a tacit acknowledgement that the OP's position was to some degree a valid one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭SeanW

good man Daymo :)

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    John R wrote:
    The rules are clear, only when there is no facility to buy a ticket from the ticket office at the originating station is it allowed to board a train.
    The rules are clear???? well clear anyway until the change them tomorrow and then try and fine everyone thats on the train.
    kbannon wrote:
    Oh right. So how many stations have made this rule clear?
    SeanW wrote:
    Well, here, the station I use most frequently, Edgeworthstown has a number of ticketing policies associated with it.
    This morning at Coolmine station I picked up a leaflet on "Fixed Penalty Payments". It is an 18 item FAQ listing scenarios where you must have a ticket. These are the rules. There is only one scenario where you do not have to have a ticket before boarding.
    8. What if the ticket office is closed or the ticket vending machines are not working or the station has no ticket office? Ticket vending machines are in operation through out (sic) our network. These machines are monitored and regularly maintained to ensure that they are operational. However in the event that the booking office is closed and the ticket vending machines are not working, then you will not be charged the Fixed Penalty Payment.
    I have emailed Irish Rail to put this leaflet online, if it isn't already there.

daymobrew wrote:
    This morning at Coolmine station I picked up a leaflet on "Fixed Penalty Payments". It is an 18 item FAQ listing scenarios where you must have a ticket. These are the rules. There is only one scenario where you do not have to have a ticket before boarding. I have emailed Irish Rail to put this leaflet online, if it isn't already there.

So in other words they have come up with a leaflet because they have prob fined aload of people like myself and have had an influx of complaints. What a shower of to**ers. Now stick out a leaflet to justify scr*wing over the public. God love me but I have to get train in again on Thursday morning, actually the thought of handing them money makes me sick, taxi for me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't see how you can stand on platform for 5-10mins facing the other platform, therefore facing the only building on either platform, (and its in plain sight) watching people coming through it, (as there always are) crossing over the bridge and not consider that there's a ticket machine there. besides all you have to do is ask someone coming through it.

I'll grant you that the signage is very poor, but you have to know there HAS to be some means of buying a ticket. BTW I've been getting that train for many many years, and I've never seen an inspector on it. So you were really unlucky.

Its a terrible station though, no cover, no facilities and poor access to the Dublin bound side. Always jammed like a tokyo express anytime near peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

BostonB wrote:
    I don't see how you can stand on platform for 5-10mins facing the other platform, therefore facing the only building on either platform, (and its in plain sight) watching people coming through it, (as there always are) crossing over the bridge and not consider that there's a ticket machine there. besides all you have to do is ask someone coming through it.

I'll grant you that the signage is very poor, but you have to know there HAS to be some means of buying a ticket.

Meh. Sorry, BostonB you simply don't undertand how officialdom in the 21st Century operates. Unless something is not blindingly obvious to the most brain-damaged retard then it is simply UNFAIR to apply any responsibility onto the individual in case they may be just that. I mean we don't want to offend a minority now do we?

BostonB wrote:
    BTW I've been getting that train for many many years, and I've never seen an inspector on it. So you were really unlucky.

Ooh, revenue protection. Now there's a topic. Mind you I suppose scangers could be considered a minority (just) and we wouldn't want to infringe on their culture of fare-dodging, vansdalism and assaulting tax-payers now would we? After all theirs' is a rich and vibrant culture and Ireland would be a poorer place if we callously wiped it out with evil notions of civic responsibility and respectful behaviour.
    BostonB wrote:
    Its a terrible station though, no cover, no facilities and poor access to the Dublin bound side. Always jammed like a tokyo express anytime near peak.

Hopefully the Clonsilla-Docklands trains will take some of the crowds, roll on March 12.

Irish rail are still a joke, I thought this thread was dead, last time before Xmas I was heading in on train because I had Xmas party that nite headed in early for the 7.10 train, little office wasnt open so I went across and got ticket and walked back over waiting for train, on way back bloke landed over to open little box for ticket with a cup of tea:rolleyes: so it started to get busy and he came out of office and started roaring at people on far side in main ticket office not to bother and they can buy ticket at destination!!! explain that!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭andyl222

just read this old thread and was fascinated because only last monday I experienced a similar incident and as a result am expected to pay a 50 euro fine.

I was walking to catch the 12.50 train to connolly at coolmine station. I was perhaps 150 metres from thje level crossing when i noticed the barrier was down, signifying a train was coming into the station. It was 12.38 and i assumed it must have been a maynooth bound train, I kept walking at a relaxed pace considering i felt in no real rush. Then as i reached the level crossing the train arrived from the maynooth direction en route to dublin. It was a good 8 minutes early and at first i thought it may have been a maynooth - connolly direct, but alas it was in fact the train i intended to catch. I had an important meeting with a lecturer so I jumped on the train assuming I could just pay when I reached Connolly. They have a new booth in Connolly station, on platform 4, which to all intents and purposes is signposted and manned like a ticket booth. I walked to the booth and addressed the attendant, asking to buy a return ticket to maynooth. He said he couldnt sell me a ticket and asked to see an i.d then proceeded to take my details and hand me a fine for 50 euro. I tried to explain my situation, with the train being early etc and was met with a blank stare and told i could contest the fine if i wanted.... Has anyone had any si milar experiences in the recent past???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Jesus that sucks. I seen that booth last time i was in connolly and presumed it allowed people that had reasons such as yours just pay for whatever ticket they didnt have time to buy on the way in. 50 squid is lousy. Ive often seen people just buy tickets when they get to pearse after the morning coolmine-pearse train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

I know its a tad dishonest but you can always claim you got on at Broombridge in situations like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

John R wrote:
    Meh. Sorry, BostonB you simply don't undertand how officialdom in the 21st Century operates. Unless something is not blindingly obvious to the most brain-damaged retard then it is simply UNFAIR to apply any responsibility onto the individual in case they may be just that. I mean we don't want to offend a minority now do we?

I've gotten that train a few times to find the office was closed and I couldn't access the vending machines because they were behind the shutters. There were Irish rail staff standing there so I asked them where I could buy my ticket. They said to get on the train and pay when I got to my destination. Which I did and the inspector at the other end accepted the money without hassle. Guess I must be a braindead retard :rolleyes:

By the way, I never noticed either that there were vending machines on the other side of the tracks. But then again I am a braindead retard seemingly...
    BostonB wrote:

Funnily enough, most people will tell you to pay at your destination...

The problem here, as is the usual story with almost EVERYTHING in this country, is that it all depends on who you get on the day! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Well I feel sorry for most of ye. I mean the last time I took a train in to town the office was closed. and the vending machine only would except cc (no cash). if they tried to fine me they would have been quicker raising the titanic. Just paid in connolly. Another time I lost my ticket and explained this in pearse and just paid there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Andy, I am looking at the Maynooth timetable and according to it, there is a train leaving at 12:50; I am perplexed as to why it would be early though :confused::confused:

I'm as confused as you are. I assume if a train driver were to leave maynooth perhaps 3 minutes early and encounter very light commuter traffic (people gettin on and off) he could be about 8 or 9 minutes early by the time it got to coolmine. I'm baffle, and as you can imagine, immensely pissed off about this. I do agree with an above comment, on any other day I would have probably been sold that ticket in connolly, just depends on who ya get i guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

pay the fine cos you were just too lazy to cross the bridge to get a ticket. A lot a people do this in the mornings and delays the trains. Instead of getting to the station on time to by the ticket they rush by the ticket office expecting to pay in connolly/pearse. If you werent asked for a ticket on the train or stop'd at your destination, would you have gone up to the ticket booth and payed your fare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

I contacted Joan Burton TD yesterday about this as I was stuck myself. Here's the reply I received back from her today. It seems that Mr Power from Irish Rail is aware of the problem and he is willing to see if there is anything that we can do to alleviate this in the short term.

We'll see. Keep up the pressure. Democracy in action.

Murt

Dear XXXXX

I attach for your information the reply which I received from Michael Power
    of Irish Rail. I have asked him to consider installing a ticket machine or to make some effort to provide access for pedestrians.

Yours sincerely, Joan Burton TD.

.....We open the access to the platform on the northern side of the line
    during peak morning hours to facilitate commuters. Outside of this peak
    time customers have to use the booking office on the southern side.

As you will appreciate we have to ensure that customers purchase a
    ticket and if we allow them access to the northern platform we have no
    means of carrying out this without deploying additional staff.

I recognise that this causes difficulty for customers who may be pressed
    for time and am willing to see if there is anything that we can do to
    alleviate this in the short term.

Regards,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

Murt10 wrote:
    I contacted Joan Burton TD yesterday about this as I was stuck myself. Here's the reply I received back from her today.[/I]
    Fair Play to Joan Burton.... I certainly think she is the Best TD in Dublin West. Her website is really good and informative.... She was at Clonsilla Station a couple of weeks ago, talking to both Rail Commuters and People in Cars (waiting for the LC to open)........ She's getting my No.1

cymro wrote:
    pay the fine cos you were just too lazy to cross the bridge to get a ticket. A lot a people do this in the mornings and delays the trains. Instead of getting to the station on time to by the ticket they rush by the ticket office expecting to pay in connolly/pearse. If you werent asked for a ticket on the train or stop'd at your destination, would you have gone up to the ticket booth and payed your fare?

Yeah I would have paid regardless, and have done in the past. Laziness had nothing to do with this, I was in time to get to the train station and over to the ticket office. The fact that the train was early left me with no other option but to get onto the train without a ticket, or face missing a VERY important appointment. I have always paid at the destination if I've been unable to get a ticket from the station of departure, it was a given that this was an accepted practice due to the multitude of people that i've seen in the past do this....

cymro wrote:
    and as a final note in response to this post, if you'll read my initial post outlining the details of what occured that day I did in fact approach the new 'ticket booth' with the intention of buying a ticket, before I even attempted to leave the platform. I hope this satisfies your curiosity with regards to my honest in that particular event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

You still should have paid. How do the ticket staff know that you got on were you told them.? You say you would have paid but hundreds don't and you being caught by irish rail clamping down on this does not make them gangsters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cymro wrote:
    You still should have paid. How do the ticket staff know that you got on were you told them.
    How? He already explained his situation.
    If there is nobody at the station of departure how do you manage to pay before getting on?
    Closing station ticket offices for whatever reason is quite common - whether IR want to put their head in the sand or not doesn't change that fact.

Advertisement