Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pinky

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

So pinky if indeed that is your real name..how about puttin some tunes on your myspace page so i can make up my mind about your music..if i'm mistaken and there is already some tunes there then please inform as to where it is.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

they should be there. unfortunately the file server i use is a bit crap/temperamental and goes down every now and again. they should be back up tomorrow. thanks for the interest though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

See... you should be careful of talking yourself up too much, not because you shouldn't have belief in what you do but because it makes you sound like your head is about to pop.

"the fact that i keep getting given supports" from what I hear on the aul grapevine it's more who you know then how you play, the suitablilty of some of your support slots being rather suspect.

Not to say that all your positive opinions have been fake, but bear in mind that in the music industry (especially in such a small circuit as the Irish one) everyone is trying to be nice to everyone else. Nobody wants to tell it like it is for fear of burning bridges... only when they feel they're on "dry-land" (to continue the metaphor) do most musicians tend to spout what they really feel. Again, not saying all the views expressed to you are fake, but just take everything with a grain of salt. :)

Personally the only good things I've heard about you came from some fellow Ballinteer dwellers, but then you cancelled a performance on the day of the gig and I won't tell ya what the other performers were told to call you if they saw ya :p heh heh.
    But dude, keep rockin' what you're rockin. Obviously people dig your music and there's a big enough population out there for every competant musician to develop a following if they work hard enough. I like enough very differant bands to know this to be true, so rock it. :)

yeah that was the gig for ben. it was a real pain in the arse that i had to miss that because i am a good friend of his and really wanted to play, in fact i am indebted to him as he played with me during my first few gigs, but i was playing a gig in galway (i think, or limerick...) the day before and had to get a train back the day of the gig. i was knackered from playing gigs in different cities for the last three nights in a row, so i missed the first train. i still came to the gig, after dropping a few things home, albeit too late to play.

i'm not talking myself up. in fact i never have. i said "people who's opinions i value" and that means the people i know who are sincere. i'm well aware of how the system works. but there are a few promoters that i really admire for bringing in acts that aren't necessarily mainstream but i think are the best out there. people such as micah p. hinson, m ward, richard swift. and these promoters are enriching the music scene because of it.

furthermore, there are a good few people i know who have a far reaching and respectable taste in music who go to gigs because they like what they hear and miss gigs because they're just not into the music, whether they know the person or not. they know what they like and what they don't, and they make no exception if they know, or are freinds with, an act themselves. some write for magazines, some are gig goers, some are just people who listen to albums and recordings.

these are the people who's opinions i value.

obviously when you start out you take what gigs you can to get as much experience as possible, which explains the 'suspect' gigs. and i agree that some were suspect, but it doesn't hurt to test the water. now that we have played around a lot and tightened up the live thing we are getting given gigs on merit and suitability. it's not like i am out rubbing shoulders with promoters all the time. in fact i actively avoid that as i think its pathetic.

i'm glad that you recognise that the population is big enough to accommodate all different kinds of music. we are all out doing our own thing and its more important to concetrate on what you yourself are doing than to waste time complaining about other people's music. if you don't like it you don't have to listen to it! it's not like anyone is in competition with anyone else. unless you are a band that is trying to be the 'next whatever is big at the moment'!

cheers.

@howard the duck, the songs are back up on the page now.

cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

lol all over this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I always read lol as "lots of love" for some reason.

I just normally tend to find that musicians should consider themselves their own worst critics, helps to balance the mindset somewhat.

i completely agree. hence why i said "it's more important to concentrate on what you yourself are doing than to waste time complaining about other peoples music". i make music primarily for myself and am the toughest critic when it comes to which chord progression/lyric/melody/harmony/production should be used, and also whether a song should be worked on or dumped. after intense scrutiny you are hopefully left with a song that you love and are proud of.

however, if after a while you continue to play with a view to something more than a hobby, you have to begin to evaluate yourself. i have never met anyone who didn't believe in what they were doing and think that they were great, however misplaced this belief may have been. so you need to look to people who will criticise your music based on certain principles that you agree with. i was just saying that there are people who's opinions on music in general i hold in quite high regard (ie agree with what principles they judge 'good' music on), and that i find it encouraging that they are into what i do.

Advertisement