Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pinky

Options
  • 28-11-2006 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever hear of them? <SNIP> They're a three-piece band (I think) but the lead singer introduced only himself - "Hi I'm Pinky). Anyway you should check out they're myspace they're really good. They only have a vinyl single out I think but I'm awaiting a debut album.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Please don't discuss MCD events on boards, thank you!

I've heard Pinky a few times and I think he's terrible. Terribly clichéd singer songwriter pap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

<SNIP>

How can you not like Pinky? really cool funky catchy songs! great singer too IMO.

Lol, stop mentioning MCD events!!!!

I just don't like Pinky, I don't think his songs are any good and I certainly don't think he's a good singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

i'd have to agree with john i'm afraid. pinky certainly is talentless. no sense of melody or harmony or anything. same old sh**e different singer.

Straight from the horse's mouth ladies and gentlemen.

• Advertisement

yes. i've taken your critism to heart and i've decided, after much deliberation, to quit music altogether and instead post on forums about how crap other bands are. it's pretty unfulfilling, but hey, someone's got to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Yeah saw Pinky as a support act there a few months back. For one song I thought 'ehh... maybe' but then he lost me completely and I was just glad when he finished.

Some girls I was with seemed to love him though. Not sure if this was more to do with the threads he was wearing rather than the music he was playing though.

wonder what gig that was. well, as it says in your signature "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man". incidently a view that includes quite a low opinion of women when it comes to music.

Some girls I was with seemed to love him though. Not sure if this was more to do with the threads he was wearing rather than the music he was playing though.

must have been the 'threads'. women clearly can't form their own opinions about music that isn't based on the clothes the act wears. good observation.

pinksoir wrote:
    yes. i've taken your critism to heart and i've decided, after much deliberation, to quit music altogether and instead post on forums about how crap other bands are. it's pretty unfulfilling, but hey, someone's got to do it.

Well it's a hobby of mine :rolleyes:

Seriously, if you've a problem with people not liking your music, don't go out there and perform it. It's not like I haven't listened to your music, I've seen you live and it really wasn't my cup of tea. I've checked your myspace to see whether I just caught you on a bad night but no, still not a fan.

ah yeah i don't mind people criticising me or not liking my stuff. there are some that like it and likewise some that don't. i certainly won't take any offence by it. just havin a laugh in here. good times...!

out of curiosity, what is your cup of tea?

• Advertisement

OK, I thought you were getting narky (or narf!y) but once we're on the same page.

An awful lot of things are my cup of tea (I've about 2000 albums), I'll give anything a listen and if I like it, I'll buy it and if I don't I'll leave it. I'll offer my opinion on it in any case.

yeah, i saw you were a moderator in experimental. its good to have a broad range of musical taste but sometimes it can lead to an all round appreciation for music without any specific favourites. there must be some band(s) that stick out to you and you go back to again and again...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

John wrote:
    OK, I thought you were getting narky (or narf!y)
    Nice:D

I was thinking I knew the name and I just remembered from where!
    I have the 'Jack The Lad'/'Casanova Blues' 7"

I'll have to echo John here, it's just not my cup of tea (listened to the myspace stuff aswell). Having said that, it's not awful or anything, I wouldn't be rushing to turn it off.
    Also, (God this is awkward, I hate criticising to someone's face! - so to speak - so to type!) your voice just doesn't do it for me, and that can kind of ruin stuff for me
    Ever listen to the postal service? Some of the music's ok, but I cannot listen to that man sing.

nah never listened to the postal service.

/edit just listened to the myspace. not my thing but i can't see (hear) any problem with the vocal. but i could see why, if you didn't like yer man's vocal, you wouldn't like mine. not entirely dissimilar tone and body wise.edit/

dunno, i suppose you either like a singer or not. personal preference and all that. there are loads of factors to what makes a vocal subjectively appealing; colour, tone, pitch etc.

but one gripe i would have with john's opinion of "i certainly don't think he's a good singer" would be that he confuses subjectivity with objectivity. he may not like the subjective qualities of my voice, which is fair enough, but the thing is i am a good (technical) singer. i have been a professional singer since i was eight. whether or not the subjective quality of the vocal appeals or not is entirely that, subjective.

floyben!! so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Ah now, I wasn't going to post (though it is a rather funny thread), but I've seen Pinky play live and one of my biggest complaints was the amount of flat notes he was hitting (or not as the case may be). It made me say "classical trained singer... my ass", though maybe that was just down to the night in question, when a certain promoter had Pinky supporting a band he was totally unsuited to and it resulted in boos and general abuse from the crowd.

which gig was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

pinksoir wrote:

/edit just listened to the myspace. not my thing but i can't see (hear) any problem with the vocal. but i could see why, if you didn't like yer man's vocal, you wouldn't like mine. not entirely dissimilar tone and body wise.edit/
    Actually it's mostly his accent and the way he enunciates that annoys me

touché.

pinksoir wrote:
    which gig was that?

I can't say exactly cause it's against ye olde forum rules, but lets say some hillbillies were crankin out some AC(lightning strike)DC, K?

hahah. i git yi *tips nose*. had a feeling it was that one. yeah that was ages ago. pretty odd one to be doing i'll agree. couldn't wait to get off the stage!

• Advertisement

pinksoir wrote:
    but one gripe i would have with john's opinion of "i certainly don't think he's a good singer" would be that he confuses subjectivity with objectivity. he may not like the subjective qualities of my voice, which is fair enough, but the thing is i am a good (technical) singer. i have been a professional singer since i was eight. whether or not the subjective quality of the vocal appeals or not is entirely that, subjective.

Just because you sing professionally doesn't make you good. The time I saw you live you hit a fair few flats like Frankie said (different gig, you were supporting The Jimmy Cake). It wasn't just my view, the others I was with were of the same opinion. In any case, not all great vocalists are good singers but unfortunately, in my book, you are neither a good singer nor a good vocalist. In any case, I was asked why I don't like your music (look at the third post in this thread) so I gave my opinions which yes are subjective but at the time of the gig I was listening to you objectively because that's what I do when I listen to someone for the first time.

As for artists that stick out that I come back to time and time again:
    Einstuerzende Neubauten
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    Neil Young
    The Jimmy Cake
    Coil
    Throbbing Gristle
    Current 93
    Nurse With Wound
    Sigur Rós
    Cat Power
    My Bloody Valentine
    Sun Ra
    Albert Ayler
    Tindersticks
    Can
    Faust
    A Silver Mt. Zion
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Fovea Hex
    Planxty
    Larsen
    The Flaming Lips
    Low
    Melvins
    Swans
    The Angels of Light
    Bonnie 'Prince' Billy
    The Velvet Underground
    Nurse With Wound
    Tool
    Wire
    Joy Division
    Antony and the Johnsons

would be all artists I'd listen to at least one album a month by (some of them I'd listen to every day).

jimmy cake in the village? if so that was when we were only really starting off and i can attribute the flatness to nerves and general early day incidentals, as i'm sure you may appreciate. ah well. either you like a vocalist or not. and you obviously don't!!

yeah, a fair few of those bands are sweet. can, faust, sigur ros, godspeed, jimmy cake, flaming lips, velvets, anthony.

for me it would be kinks,
    beatles,
    david bowie,
    paul simon,
    stevie wonder,
    shiina ringo,
    blankey jet city,
    jellyfish,
    michael knight,
    aretha franklin,
    django reinhardt.

and therein the differences lie!

John you said Nurse with Wound Twice, that's minus a gizzilion points for you I'm afraid.

They're so good they need to be mentioned twice.

pinksoir wrote:
    wonder what gig that was. well, as it says in your signature "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man". incidently a view that includes quite a low opinion of women when it comes to music.

must have been the 'threads'. women clearly can't form their own opinions about music that isn't based on the clothes the act wears. good observation.

Well my sig is a quote from a movie, which is also where my username comes from. People's gender doesn't affect my opinion on their tastes at all, my comment was one made in jest. The girls that were there however I don't value their opinion that much, but that's based on the music that they themselves like and create themselves - a bit wishy washy overall.

As someone stated - if you can't take criticism without getting your back up then perhaps you should stop performing live. Personally I found your stuff to be too samey-samey. One song was pretty indistinguishable from the other.

i dunno. my back never really went up at any stage. i'm certainly not gonna stop performing live. the fact that i keep getting given supports, especially for the acts that i really admire, is very encouraging. add to that the fact that people whos opinions i value (music critics, gig promoters, other accomplished musicians) are very impressed with my work this far, and i would see it as a good indicator that i am on the right track. most importantly i do love what i do and am genuinely excited about what will come. success or not.

it's nice and interesting to hear negative criticism too though. i am not so naive as to think that there won't be any people who don't like or understand my music. thats part and parcel of the job. up until now i have never heard any negative feedback, probably because most people who don't like something rarely tell you. also possibly because a lot of people did like it. one could only speculate. either way, in the future i should expect a lot of negative criticism and this particular thread should serve as a start to dealing with it!

i suppose nobody likes to hear bad things said about them, especially about something that they put so much time and love into. but thus is life.

pinksoir wrote:
    add to that the fact that people whos opinions i value (music critics, gig promoters, other accomplished musicians) are very impressed with my work this far, and i would see it as a good indicator that .

Fair enough - don't listen to music critics though, especially if they 'write' for Hotpress.

Hey don't paint all music critics with the hot press brush!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I shall try to work through that list of your's John, alot there that i have never heard of. Thanks

• Advertisement

believe me, i am well aware of hotpress 'writers'. but please don't tell them i said that...! i was thinking more foggy notions.

Advertisement