Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HID Xenon's Aftermarket Kits

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I got a H7 kit off a seller on ebay. Installed yesterday into my Avensis, very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

MarkR wrote: »
    I got a H7 kit off a seller on ebay. Installed yesterday into my Avensis, very happy with them.

Did you wire it your self? Was it hard ?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

Vain wrote: »
    Did you wire it your self? Was it hard ?

I have done wiring myself on Honda Civic fitting H4 Bi-Xenon kit. What car do you have? I have couple of fitting manuals might be useful to you? I have already attached one on this thread earlier..please check it. if you have doubt let me know I might give you a hand. :) But its pretty straight forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mav09

New to this thread. Anyone have advice on whether to install HID's on a 99 Avensis. Drive a lot at night, often on poor roads. Use philips x-treme bulbs but curious about the performance of HID bulbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Mav09 wrote: »
    New to this thread. Anyone have advice on whether to install HID's on a 99 Avensis. Drive a lot at night, often on poor roads. Use philips x-treme bulbs but curious about the performance of HID bulbs?

Not worth it mate unless you have projector style headlights. Not sure if the 99 spec Avensis is though.

• Advertisement

Duff wrote: »
    Not worth it mate unless you have projector style headlights. Not sure if the 99 spec Avensis is though.

No they're reflectors...that's what i thought, projectors seem to give a cleaner line, newer avensis at home, 2004 has them alright..not the one i drive though!!

Cheers for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if HID's aren't going to be any good to you and you want some very good bulbs that will give you the maximum amount of usable illumination without blinding oncoming traffic I'd highly recommend Osram Nightbreakers.

And don't buy anything with a blue lense as it will actually give you less 'useable' light, by filtering out the other colours of the spectrum containing more illiminating colours like yellow and violet. And more 'dazzle' for other road users, because the human iris is much less reactive to blue light and does not instinctively contract the same way as it does when regular bright light is shone at it.

Cheers, i'll look up a set of them and try them out.

i have a pajero so my lights are higher up than most and in 6 months i've only been flashed once and that was last weekend as i was coming over the crest of a hill just as some numpty was coming the other way and his eyeballs were directly inline with the beam of my headlights. he probably still would have flashed me if i'd been holding up a candle. :)

if you're looking for flashy headlights that will make you look cool at custom car meets you will be disappointed, but if you want the maximum amount of useful light to guide you down country roads without searing the retinas of oncoming drivers, they can't be beat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Howdy all, bit late to this thread. Been toying with the idea of a conversion kit for a while, but wasn't sure about the lagality of it all. Started using Osram Nightbreakers in November, and they are a massive improvment over the standard H7, but the problem is the don't kast pissing time. i've been through 5 sets since November. Think it's due to the fact that I spend 10- 12 hours a day behind the wheel, with my lights on. So, finally gonna bite the bullet and get a kit.

• Advertisement

the proper HID conversion kits (the ones with the ballasts etc.) have come right down in price recently, you can pick them up for 40-50 quid delivered off ebay. i'm seriously thinking of moving up to a set myself to see what the fuss is about. :)

just remember the 'K' (kelvin) value is the important bit and that it is inversely proportional to the brightness. i.e. a lower K rating will mean brighter lights, not the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭smitas5

HID ARE A LOT BETTER. I drive arround 60K a year and have conversion done on my volvo... had a bit rusty converter once because it got wet... other than that no problem for a year and a half now... just get decent color like 5000 ... a lot of kits will change the color later to more blue so if you get 8000 or so later they will look stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Oh I'm aware they're alot better alright. One of our lads has it done on a 5 series, and the difference in light is amazing. Didn't get it done at the time, because I was being quoted stupid money to have it done. But, given the amount of money I've spent on bulbs since, I'd have saved a fortune!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I am looking for a H11 Xenon bulb for the Fog light of an A4. Is there anybody in Dublin selling therse individual xenon bulbs? I have the car booked into an Auto spark today so need this fairly urgently.

Hi there, why would you need xenon bulbs in fog lights?
    fog light are beeing used less than 1% of the driving time... if you are using them all the time then you are blinding other drivers and that is very stuping and selfish of you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

smitas5 wrote: »
    Hi there, why would you need xenon bulbs in fog lights?
    fog light are beeing used less than 1% of the driving time... if you are using them all the time then you are blinding other drivers and that is very stuping and selfish of you

I didn't ask for your unhelpful comment, thanks. Go learn how to spell.

Got it sorted in the end. It was a faulty ballast, not the bulb.

I'm just tired of drivers with always on fog lights... and the best excuse I get is: they are spot lights :) (fog lights are used for a foggy conditions)
    anyway... on third party xenon kit ballasts are 90% to fail, when on original manufacturers fitted, bulbs are the ones to fail..
    is that helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

gebbel wrote: »
    I didn't ask for your unhelpful comment, thanks. Go learn how to spell.

Got it sorted in the end. It was a faulty ballast, not the bulb.

Theres no requirement to be able to spell correctly on these forums, English may not be the posters first language, do not pull someone up on there spelling or you will get an infraction.
    smitas5 wrote: »
    I'm just tired of drivers with always on fog lights... and the best excuse I get is: they are spot lights :) (fog lights are used for a foggy conditions)
    anyway... on third party xenon kit ballasts are 90% to fail, when on original manufacturers fitted, bulbs are the ones to fail..
    is that helpful?

Plenty of other threads where opinions on fog lights can be voiced, do and search

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement