Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Anthem being played at the end of a night

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

admiralgar wrote:
    i hit yes before thinking about it, i dont think they should play it,the people in bars dont care about the national anthem, and its only really played in working class areas where people say they hate the brits while wearing their premiership
    jerseys and slagging off anything Irish like the eircom league and Irish music etc..

Care to name these areas?
    What do they play in upper class areas?
    Irelands call? the makey-up national anthem.:D

(although i agree with you about the brit hating premiership supporting twats)
    National anthem shouldnt be played in a pub at the end of the night.
    from what ive seen of it theres always someone too pissed to give a sh-t & someone else offended by this!!(the cheek of people being drunk in a pub at the end of the night)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Lorax wrote:
    If I was a DJ I'd play God Save the Queen for a laugh..

I doubt you'd get one, maybe a few dodgy drunken stares and the chance of running into a few republican wannabes after closing time.

I stand when its played and though my mouth moves, no sound emerges as i don't know the words.

I should probably be ashamed of myself.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think it's a very nice thing to do.

They often play it at the end of college balls and down the country in general. I remember one college ball myself and a girl temporairly stopped scoring and stood to attention for the anthem. We then resumed after the anthem, not before I noticed that she knew all the words. (She was from the country ftw).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Nationalism for teh lose. It's a crap sounding song, anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

A test to see if you can still stand up?

• Advertisement

Lorax wrote:

Actually the opening notes of our National anthem sound very like the opening notes of the German nationa anthem, you'd probably have some austere faces suddenly looking puzzled if you pulled That!

I really loved the way the national anthem was played when Michelle smith "won" all those medals at the Atlanta olympics, it was done in a really brash American College marching band Stylee!!

Several years ago i Heard a radio debate about whether we should get rid of the national anthem or not - one guy said he didn't like it because he found the lyrics offensive (i.e.the words FIANNA FAIL )his point was that It gave undue favour to a political party .He was takin the piss but he suggested By way of appeasement that we change the National anthem to the Theme tune from The Sunday Game!!

Have to say I'm down with that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Quite so. I used to play in a lot of pub/wedding bands around the Nerthsiade in the 90's and we always had to play it. You are right, it is a very working-class thing. I've never seen it done in culchie-land though.

Usually the middle class establishments have piped-in Andrew Clayderman/Philip Glass music.

well if you think about it the southside of dublin has more working class areas than the northside, i hate the anti-northside bias that exists among my southern counterparts

to the other person who asked me to name the areas, well anywhere that plays it is working class, middle to upper class bars simply dont play it, because they are frequented by west brits

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

BossArky wrote:
    As a student I played with a bunch of older folks around the south east at weekends in a golden oldies covers band. We would always end off the night with the national anthem. All the people in these little dingy country pubs would stand up, straight as arrows, hands on heart. I used to play the tune in the way that Jimmy Hendrix plays the star spangled banner with the rest of the band backing me.. ahhaha... good times ;)

Ditto mate :D I still do it the odd night, but the rest of the band know I hate the concept of playing the Anthem. I think it's cheap, nasty, and to echo a previous poster, it's really only done in less fortunate areas where people think it's still cool to hate the Brits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I really don't care. I have no problem with standing but I don't know the words. I just mumble , noone seems to notice.

Did you ever see the looks o the Americans' faces at the end of a CTYI disco when we'd all be singing Amhran na BhFiann? Priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

They should bring back God Save Ireland as the anthem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Myth wrote:
    This town, is coming like a ghost town. Doooo doo doo doo doo doo...

Ha ha the only anthem you could ever need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

I think it's cheap, nasty, and to echo a previous poster, it's really only done in less fortunate areas where people think it's still cool to hate the Brits.

And there was I thinking it was just the traditional Irish way of saying "Have yes no homes to go to?" Oh I forgot thats probably a bit working class too!!!!

You don't have to "hate the Brits" to sing your National Anthem. I always associate it with the beginning of Football matches and end of nights out. Generally good times. Just the way it is - doesn't mean I hate the Brits or disrespect the National Anthem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ned78 wrote:
    Ditto mate :D I still do it the odd night, but the rest of the band know I hate the concept of playing the Anthem. I think it's cheap, nasty, and to echo a previous poster, it's really only done in less fortunate areas where people think it's still cool to hate the Brits.

have a bit of national pride ffs. its not cheap and its not nasty, its OUR national anthem. thats the problem with Ireland now, there is no sense of Irishness, no feeling of nationality, in the 80's we were Irish without a job, now we are all working without Irishness.
    like i said before it would be nice to hear it all of the time but, sadly, the times we do hear it are when it is played in the wrong context, like at the end of the night in a working class pub, ' ....agus pacai abharainn na bfiann, focking brits....ira....ira....right im off home, see tomorrow for the chelsea game'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭gar

Ireland is the only country I have heard the national anthem being played at the end of the night. The yanks don't even do it.

Its like national pride is being forced upon you. By hearing this at the end of the club you should be filled with the strength to take on the British empire and everthing associated with it. Then the following morning watch Football Focus, Soccer AM, go the pub follow 'your team', watch your favourite soap or other tan made program. Lets not forget to bad mouth the Eircom league, how expensive it is to live in Ireland, how crap the goverment are... but I am so full of pride when hear the the national anthem....

anyone starting to see any bit of irony here?

gar wrote:
    By hearing this at the end of the club you should be filled with the strength to take on the British empire and everthing associated with it. Then the following morning watch Football Focus, Soccer AM, go the pub follow 'your team', watch your favourite soap or other tan made program. Lets not forget to bad mouth the Eircom league, how expensive it is to live in Ireland, how crap the goverment are... but I am so full of pride when hear the the national anthem....

you forgot to mention go to the chipper on the way home,start a fight with someone you dont know for no reason & throw your litter in the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

so the majority of you are ashamed of our national anthem because you fear people may think you hate the brits if it is played anywhere in your vicinity?
    that's just sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I like the anthem but I don't like to hear it played at the end of the night in pubs and the like. That just cheapens it. I haven't heard it played in a pub/club in years anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Red Alert wrote:
    I think it's a very nice thing to do.

They often play it at the end of college balls and down the country in general. I remember one college ball myself and a girl temporairly stopped scoring and stood to attention for the anthem. We then resumed after the anthem, not before I noticed that she knew all the words. (She was from the country ftw).

What a turn on...:)
    They play it in coppers and flannerys all the time at the end of the night just after they play 'put em under pressure' (Not joking).They also still play it in 'whisper's' my local nighclub back home in Limerick. I HATE when they play it. Everyones pissed and slurring the words and to me it shows a huge disrespect for your country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

biko wrote:
    It's a signal that the fun is over and it's time to go home, or an afterparty.
    I don't mind, play away. It's not like I'm gonna stand there, hand over heart, and sing along.

Ahh isn't it great that our glorious National Anthem has been reduced to something used to clear dancefloors and tell people to piss off home because it's late and you've had enough drink for ****s sake??

A place that plays the Anthem at the end like this is a **** place. Stop going there. And as for Put 'em Under Pressure...

All anthems are ****e anyway, with the obvious exception of The Marseillaise and the old Soviet anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That Soviet anthem is awesome. I've no idea what they're singing but it just sounds powerful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

It used to be played all the time in the pubs/clubs I used to go to. Thats about 5-6 years ago. Don't know if they still do it. These days I'm either not in the club or can't remember if it was played or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

gar wrote:
    Ireland is the only country I have heard the national anthem being played at the end of the night. The yanks don't even do it.

Its like national pride is being forced upon you. By hearing this at the end of the club you should be filled with the strength to take on the British empire and everthing associated with it. Then the following morning watch Football Focus, Soccer AM, go the pub follow 'your team', watch your favourite soap or other tan made program. Lets not forget to bad mouth the Eircom league, how expensive it is to live in Ireland, how crap the goverment are... but I am so full of pride when hear the the national anthem....

anyone starting to see any bit of irony here?

no. what i see is you spouting bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Lorax wrote:

The Sex Pistold version?

I haven't heard the anthem played in a niteclub in ages, usually its cut the
    music, on with the lights and get the fook out and into a queue for taxi or chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

admiralgar wrote:
    have a bit of national pride ffs. its not cheap and its not nasty, its OUR national anthem. thats the problem with Ireland now, there is no sense of Irishness, no feeling of nationality, in the 80's we were Irish without a job, now we are all working without Irishness.

Well that's a big 'ol load of bull crap. For the record, I do have quite a lot of National Pride, I love travelling the world, saying I'm Irish, and receiving warm hospitality as a result of it.

But I agree with a previous poster. Playing the National Anthem at the end of a night is forcing Nationalism on me, and worse than that, for the mindless troglodytes in poor areas who still 'hate the brits', and for whom a good night out includes a fight outside the chipper, it's fosters this ridiculous notion of Ireland for the Irish. We're beyond that now.

As another point of order, and compeltely off-topic, if you want to see Nationalism at it's most chilish, go see a Wolf Tones concert. Celtic Jerseys for miles and miles, and people still convinced there's a war to be fought with our Neighbours. I had the misfortune to share a Hotel with the Wolf Tones, them downstairs playing, us upstairs, and as soon as they were finished, they crowds felll out onto the Killarney roads, barely able to connect a sentence from end to end as a result of drink, and happily knocked the Sh*t out of one another.

I love our National Anthem being played at appropriate occasions, Matches, State Funerals, etc, but I will not see it used as a tool to foster stupidity and ignorance in a pub at the end of a night to clear a crowd in the name of Nationalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I can't remember ever having heard the national anthem played at the end of a night in a club or whatever, it wouldn't bother me though.

A complete joke. Total disrespect for the anthem. It should not be played to an audience of drunks who can hardly stand. Though the last time I objected I got apunch from one of them so now I just go out for a ciggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Budd wrote:
    if you are still hearing that in pubs clubs then you obviously don't go to the right ones.

i beg your pardon.
    Its played in my local every sunday night.
    I've been drinking in that pub and standing to the national anthem since i was 18 (8 yrs ago) so dont tell me i dont go to "the right ones" what is the definition of "the right ones" anyway..is all down to what music they play?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It used to played at the end of the telly night too?

ned78 wrote:
    As another point of order, and compeltely off-topic, if you want to see Nationalism at it's most chilish, go see a Wolf Tones concert. Celtic Jerseys for miles and miles, and people still convinced there's a war to be fought with our Neighbours. I had the misfortune to share a Hotel with the Wolf Tones, them downstairs playing, us upstairs, and as soon as they were finished, they crowds felll out onto the Killarney roads, barely able to connect a sentence from end to end as a result of drink, and happily knocked the Sh*t out of one another.

That'll teach you to stay in the Gleneagles! Every time the Wolfe Tones 'play' (and I use that term loosely, to cover strangling banjos and shouting 'oooh aaah up the 'ra') Killarney, every scumbag gets a free Celtic shirt at Heuston station before they come down to annoy us.

Then again, they show great respect for the National Anthem. On the other hand, if you dared suggest supporting an Irish club they would look at you like you had two heads before going back to talking about Celtic/Bobby Sands...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

biko wrote:
    It used to played at the end of the telly night too?

They used to, not sure if they still do it at all. Pictures of flowers and other schtuff. Reflection of the day or something like that.

Advertisement