Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Anthem being played at the end of a night

Options
  • 23-11-2006 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

What are peoples opinion of the National Anthem, Amhrán na bhFiann, being played at the end of the night in a pub or club?

My personal opinion is it is cheap and tacky move by the DJ to get a last hurra and takes away what the songs represents.

Thoughts?

Should Amhrán na bhFiann be played at the end of a night? 95 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    41% 39 votes
    Indifferent, still trying to finish the extra pints I bought
    58% 56 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It doesn't bother me, people still go around, do their own thing and get their last few pints anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Do they still do that??? Jasus I thought that was only in school discos where the DJ was anything but a pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Should only be done on special occasions, like when Ireland have done well in sport that day. It probably should never be played in a lap-dancing club though.
    I'll admit to disrespecting it sometimes when I'm really drunk by making up my own words to it.

This town, is coming like a ghost town. Doooo doo doo doo doo doo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i hit yes before thinking about it, i dont think they should play it,the people in bars dont care about the national anthem, and its only really played in working class areas where people say they hate the brits while wearing their premiership
    jerseys and slagging off anything Irish like the eircom league and Irish music etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

gar wrote:
    My personal opinion is it is cheap and tacky move by the DJ to get a last hurra and takes away what the songs represents.

Yes, a mad conspiracy theory where DJ's feed their own egos by playing a national anthem (for one last huarrah), yes. :rolleyes:

The last place I gigged, the manager insisted that I played the anthem at the end of every night cos if I didn't then people would mill about insisting that the night hadn't ended. Seriously. And they would too, one night I forgot the Anthem CD and I just stopped playing music - and people just stayed on the dancefloor for another 20 mins +. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

admiralgar wrote:
    i hit yes before thinking about it, i dont think they should play it,the people in bars dont care about the national anthem, and its only really played in working class areas where people say they hate the brits while wearing their premiership
    jerseys and slagging off anything Irish like the eircom league and Irish music etc..

A little harsh, but I see your point. I think the playing of the national anthem has a unifying effect at the end of a party such as a 21st and you also know that the party and the music has ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

They should ban it from pubs and clubs tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭gar

My point is that it is our national anthem and should be saved for national events. Im sure Mr. Collins & co will not be thinking "Johnny drank ten pints, danced his heart out, that deserves recognition, hope they play the anthem at the end"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i like it if pubs played the anthom as the last song every night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They used to play it in our local nightclub but they stopped ages ago. I miss it, it does feel like the night comes to an abrupt stop and somethings missing and the lack of the unifying national anthem has seen fighting go up approximately 58.2%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Budd

if you are still hearing that in pubs clubs then you obviously don't go to the right ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Myth wrote:
    This town, is coming like a ghost town. Doooo doo doo doo doo doo...

Ah the Spinmaster! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a signal that the fun is over and it's time to go home, or an afterparty.
    I don't mind, play away. It's not like I'm gonna stand there, hand over heart, and sing along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ateam wrote:
    A little harsh, but I see your point. I think the playing of the national anthem has a unifying effect at the end of a party such as a 21st and you also know that the party and the music has ended.

i didnt mean what i said in a harsh way, im very patriotic and republican and i would like to see it played, but i meant no because i think its played in clubs/pubs in the wrong context

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

meh

doesnt bother me tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

I'm with you on this one Gar.I'm stuck up in Castlebar for 6 months and was amazed to find this rammed down your throat at the end of the night in most pubs/clubs-never happened at home in Ballinasloe or galway.Strange looks when you don't stand up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think it gets played more in the country than in Dublin from what I have experienced.

The DJ we hired to play at my wedding played it without warning though which severely p*ssed me off.

I don't like it being played outside of sports or civil ceremonies and think playing it in a disco is lowest common denominator tiocfaidh ar lar crap.

That said, apart from making a point of not standing up: if people like hearing it, i'm cool with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

If I was a DJ I'd play God Save the Queen for a laugh..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

As a student I played with a bunch of older folks around the south east at weekends in a golden oldies covers band. We would always end off the night with the national anthem. All the people in these little dingy country pubs would stand up, straight as arrows, hands on heart. I used to play the tune in the way that Jimmy Hendrix plays the star spangled banner with the rest of the band backing me.. ahhaha... good times ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

This is never do in any pub I've been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,165 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yes, absolutely. And I think it should be done live by a seventy-year-old fella on a hammond organ.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've never heard it played in any club or pub I've been in... Is it a regular thing?

Anywho, no, I don't think it should be played. It's not something I feel strongly about, but it is quite tacky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

cxcully wrote:
    I'm with you on this one Gar.I'm stuck up in Castlebar for 6 months and was amazed to find this rammed down your throat at the end of the night in most pubs/clubs-never happened at home in Ballinasloe or galway.Strange looks when you don't stand up.

Exactly, its nothing more than an excuse for drunk Cavan folks to live their fantasy of being in the IRA. Ive seen people threatened down there for not standing. Its only the country plays it afaik.

As if the boys in 1916 died so that a bunch of pissed gob****es in 2006 could pretend to be IRA men. Theyre the type who hate Protestants but dont see an irony that their favourite band is called the Wolfe Tones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

shane86 wrote:
    Exactly, its nothing more than an excuse for drunk Cavan folks to live their fantasy of being in the IRA. Ive seen people threatened down there for not standing. Its only the country plays it afaik.

As a brit , when i was down in Kerry with my mates who were locals, I would always stand.. simple mark of respect i guess.

Never occurred to me that there may be some p***ed up wannabee republican boyo waiting with a pool cue.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

I really don't care. I have no problem with standing but I don't know the words. I just mumble , noone seems to notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

agamemnon wrote:
    It probably should never be played in a lap-dancing club though.
    Yep... because when you stand up everyone would see that you have an erection.

I don't particularly like the anthem... I'd prefer it wasn't played anywhere let alone at the end of the night.

There are other songs that tend to finish off the night fairly well... New York, New York usually does the job nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Lorax wrote:
    If I was a DJ I'd play God Save the Queen for a laugh..

Im sure it would be a laugh to the boys in the pub.

I think they play it just as a way of saying that's it finish your drink and get the **** out.

Kinda funny though im sure most people in the pub hardly know it in irish never mind even what it means in english.

Although I dont see any harm in it were irish so why not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Yep... because when you stand up everyone would see that you have an erection.

Something to hang the flag from then :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

admiralgar wrote:
    i hit yes before thinking about it, i dont think they should play it,the people in bars dont care about the national anthem, and its only really played in working class areas where people say they hate the brits while wearing their premiership jerseys and slagging off anything Irish like the eircom league and Irish music etc..

Quite so. I used to play in a lot of pub/wedding bands around the Nerthsiade in the 90's and we always had to play it. You are right, it is a very working-class thing. I've never seen it done in culchie-land though.

Usually the middle class establishments have piped-in Andrew Clayderman/Philip Glass music.

Advertisement