Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you have the right to murder your own clone?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

connundrum wrote:
    They're all ghosts?

Nah, your man is dead, the short guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

They all shot each other! no, wait....
    It was a dream, he was already dead..... no.....
    The bad guy is the good guys Dad. Yeah, thats it.

Sorry folks. He asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If i cloned me I would definitely murder me
    Right, on topic so.

A clone of you wouldn't be "you". Its not like we're talking perfect digital copies, it's far, far from that. Who you are is born out of your experiences, there have been many, many external influences on you that helped define who you are.

Unless you were to subject your clone to those exact same circumstances, there is no way in heck that your clone would eventually develop to be the same person as you. Even is you did its impossible to say with any certainty that your clone would react to every circumstance the same way you did. Its entirely plausible to suggest that when subjected to the same conditions for all their lives, your clone would likely make a different choice any some stage.

A clone would just a genetic duplicate, susceptable to the same genetic traits as you are. But it wouldn't be "you" by any means.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

CSG you're an idiot and you DID spoil a major element of the movie and no amount of back-pedalling and "well it's only one viewpoint" crap can take that away. Show some manners and apologise to people. If you were on the Film forum I'd have smacked spoilers around you and given you a verbal warning for pulling that stunt.

As to the point itself, I'd recommend the book "Kil'n People". In it there is the ability to clone yourself, although your clone "dies" after a short period of time. It enables you to send your clone/yourself on various tasks that you're too preoccupied/busy to do yourself. What's interesting is how the consciousness diverges from the original after a certain point, depending on the circumstances they encounter - your environment and actions do shape you. The novel explores all of this in considerable detail - well worth checking out. Eventual answer? No, it's not right to kill your clone because it becomes someone else entirely because it begins to live a different life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hmm, murder my biological replica you say?

What if I was to take him up to the top of a very tall building and take all his clothes off... then push him over the edge.

Would that be making an obscene clone fall?

(I'll get me coat)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I used to work in the Savoy Cinema, and one day, just after Intermission was release I came in to see it.
    The queue was out the door for that movie, literally, and when I had picked up my tickets I went to buy some goodies from the shop - which also contained huge queues...

Anyhow, as I was filling up a bag of sweets from the pic N' mix, my friend comes rushing into the shop. ( A little ginger girl who has worked there, in the cash box, for years. I bet ya Savoy regulars know who I am talking about.)

She had just seen the movie and was all excited, and she said:
    Oh My God, you wont believe what happens, Cillian Murphy's mot get with some auld lad, but they get back together in the end, and Dierdre O' Kane is a bleedin mad yoke, who boxes some fella around in the sake, but gets back with her fella, who was having an affair with Cillian Murphys missus, and Colin Farrell is a bad guy and dies in the end!!!!

Everyone in the Queue went absolutely mental, and people were asking the staff "is she serious? has she just ruined the movie for us?".

They were demanding refunds and everything, and giving me the filthiest looks, even though I hadn't opened my mouth.

Anyhow, what she did could be described as actually spoiling the movie, what CSG did was just give you all a little taster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

what CSG did was just give you all a little taster!
    No excuse. If I want a taster I'll read up on the movie before going to see it. I don't want someone to jump out behind a corner and shove the taster down my throat, thanks. Let's leave it to be my choice, thanks.

could also be this
    and says he was a trickster in order to make people wonder, "just for a second".
    He had to be the one seeing the wonder on people's faces. See below.

why the flipping heck does he keep killing himself? He'd just need one clone and he's got an absolutely perfect magic act. Why on earth would the clones need to be killed every time?

Because Angier (literally) couldn't live with himself. He would have to share the limelight with another, even if it was another version of Angier.

Angier wanted it all for himself. The Bordens worked as a team, which is why one of them ended up the winner at the end.

The whole film is a lesson in 'play nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

connundrum wrote:
    DON'T VIEW THIS THREAD IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN 'THE PRESTIGE'.

Hell, don't view this thread even if you have seen the movie (which was predictable as fcuk imo)! Surely a spoiler like that warrants a banning :rolleyes: In fact, stupidity like that should warrant a banning...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Very annoying.

At least I can exact a small amount of revenge... teehehe...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    I used to work in the Savoy Cinema, and one day, just after Intermission was release I came in to see it.
    The queue was out the door for that movie, literally, and when I had picked up my tickets I went to buy some goodies from the shop - which also contained huge queues...

Anyhow, as I was filling up a bag of sweets from the pic N' mix, my friend comes rushing into the shop. ( A little ginger girl who has worked there, in the cash box, for years. I bet ya Savoy regulars know who I am talking about.)

Yeah! I hated that . Who would have thought Colin Farrell was a Replicant too? Sank the whole film for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bullpost

What's the technical term for such a thing - twoicide? ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I should have locked you up and thrown away the key OP, and your bloody clone too! Some of ye have no brains, what are ye like! 'I R St00pid' award for you and a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Siteban, please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Just My View

There was this man who's business was so busy that he just couldn't cope so he had himself cloned. The process wasn't perfect and the clone had a very bad case of Tourette's. The constant outbursts of obscenities started to ruin the business as people didn't realise that they were dealing with a clone. The only solution was to kill him off. So he lured his clone up to the roof of a tall building and pushed him to his death. Naturally the police became involved and the murder case raised the very question this thread is about "Do you have the right to murder your own clone". A smart defence got him off on a technicallity but an even smarter prosecution lawyer got him sentenced to 7 years for making an obscene clone fall.

I'll get me coat.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Way to ruin the film CSG, thanks a lot. Much appreciated.

Oh and its "I saw" or "I have seen".

but an even smarter prosecution lawyer got him sentenced to 7 years for making an obscene clone fall.

I'll get me coat.:D

Please refer to page 2 where I already used this gag.

Posting a film plot spoiler is one thing, but failing to read the thread properly and then using an already used gag is a serious offence, and should not go unpunished...
    Ruu - I expect a heavy sentance to be handed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

whiskeyman wrote:
    Please refer to page 2 where I already used this gag.

Posting a film plot spoiler is one thing, but failing to read the thread properly and then using an already used gag is a serious offence, and should not go unpunished...
    Ruu - I expect a heavy sentance to be handed down.

Lolz, down with this sort of thing! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Just My View

Ooops, my mistake.:o
    In my defence there was so much spoiling of the movie going on I must admit to having only skipped through the thread.

Ooops, my mistake.:o
    In my defence there was so much spoiling of the movie going on I must admit to having only skipped through the thread.

You should have known clone gags are protected under copyright...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

whiskeyman wrote:

That, in all honesty, deserves a kick in the ass!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I left it long enough to ensure that the spoilers had been dealt with. :)

What's the film anyway? Just the name will do thanks! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

first user added to /ignore list in years.
    well done, CSG. that was some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

if i was truly cloned after a while would I forget which was the original?
    Would you forget if you were the original or the clone? No. That's like asking twins "Do you ever forget which one you are?"

You wouldn't have the right to kill your own clone. They may have the same DNA as you (and depending on what type of cloning we're talking about, memories) but they're still a living person. Think about it. What if you found out you had been cloned from someone years ago and now they wanted you dead. They wouldn't be allowed, nor should they IMO.
    connundrum wrote:
    Lolz, down with this sort of thing! :D
    Careful now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

whiskeyman wrote:

Anyone else getting sick of these double entendres?

...sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

No more puns please!!!!

My hernia can't take anymore!

I vote we skin CSG and burn her in a big of coals... we'll get revenge and have a nice snack afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

/shakes head in disbelief.

I predict Ruu will be murdering this particular thread shortly, thank jeebus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Thread locked as it was going nowhere since..well the 3rd post or so. Swift and brutal revenge towards CSG people, I demand it.:mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement