Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you have the right to murder your own clone?

Options
  • 23-11-2006 12:30pm

I know this is a contriversial subject but I'm not appraoching it too heavily

more of a for instance type of view
    But I seen this movie last night (The Prestige)where a guy used a machine to clone himself in order to trick an audience
    Brilliant movie and I have some theories on it myself

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055014275

So do you you think you would have the right to murder your own clone?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You saw the movie...

and I'd say no...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Well, now I don't have to go see that movie, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

how about this. All the cells in your body replace themselves completely every seven years or so. This means, at the age of seven, you don't have any of the cells that were present in your body when you were born. So, if you commit murder, and get sent to prison, seven years later, there is not a cell in your body that was there when you did the deed. So should you be released?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

tbh wrote:
    how about this. All the cells in your body replace themselves completely every seven years or so. This means, at the age of seven, you don't have any of the cells that were present in your body when you were born. So, if you commit murder, and get sent to prison, seven years later, there is not a cell in your body that was there when you did the deed. So should you be released?

Surely brain cells are different or else memories would only go back seven years?
    What if your clone committed suicide and framed you for its murder?
    What if you made a "clone" of yourself that was of the opposite sex? If you had sex with it, would that be incest or masturbation? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

SPOILERS, WOMAN, SPOILERS!!!!

HAven't read the rest of your post nor the link for fear of wanting to go see the move (just stopped in time), but....

Moe - Oh well, time to murder my clone
    Clone - hang on - I thought YOU were the clone!!
    Moe - Aw, Jeez - not this again...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I honestly can't believe you just ruined that feckin' film! I was going to go see it tonight!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I am confused and strangely intrigued by your suggestion, agamemnon.

I wouldn't shag me if I was still a male.

I'd make a hot female. I would definately do me. I probably wouldn't have a chance in Hell with myself though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Thanks for spoiling the movie CSG :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

tbh wrote:

The Irish Judicial System explained. :D Life = +/- 7 years, brilliant! I can stop my searching now.

Yes you should have the right to kill your clone.. and anyone else's clone too for that matter. If your clone cuts me off on the M50, I can guarantee that your clone yould have a cap in his/her a$$ fairly sharpish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

chamlis wrote:
    I'd make a hot female. I would definately do me. I probably wouldn't have a chance in Hell with myself though :(

I'd be a hot chick too. I'd be dug out of me with a shovel. Still don't know if it's incest or masturbation but it would be a night to remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

here's another one. These are all from a book called "The Pig That Wants to be eaten".

Let's say you are a doctor, working in a large hospital. One night, you go out after work and get leathered. Your last thought is that you'll go back to the hospital and sleep there instead of trying to go home.

The next morning, you wake up with the usual hangover, and you notice all these tubes coming out of you, tubes which are connected to a guy sleeping in the next bed. You call a nurse over, and she explains that last night when you came in, someone told you that the guy in the next bed would die unless he could be hooked up to someone for nine months, at which point a donor kidney would become available. You volunteered. Now, you are sober. If you disconnect the next guy, he dies. Otherwise, you have to stay connected to him for nine months, then he'll get his op. There is a small chance that the op will kill you. Do you think you should be able to disconnect yourself, seeing as you were drunk when you agreed. You do??? So you believe in abortion do ya? :p

People who seen it , some mite disagree with me even saying what i just said

I've spoken to 5 people about it this morning and two disagreed with me and explained it in a completly diff way so I did not ruin the movie for people

It's a massive magic trick, the whole film or is it?

anyway back on topic

the movie was only brought up a ref

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

No CSG, you've ruined the movie for people.

Can a mod add a spoiler warning to the thread title? Really enjoyed the movie myself and would hate to see people have it ruined for them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

can a mod please edit the title of this thread. film ruined for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

For feck's sake, i was going to see that film!

I suppose you're also going to tell us
    Darth Vader is Luke's Father
    ... ? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Sleepy wrote:
    Can a mod add a spoiler warning to the thread title? Really enjoyed the movie myself and would hate to see people have it ruined for them.

Yeah, i was going to see it on Sunday!!! :(

Anyway, if i had a clone i would never kill it. Two Dragan's is like some kind of unstoppable force and i imagine one of us would be out killing our enemies while the other is providing steady alibi's.

"It couldn't have been me officer, 500 people saw me win a pizza eating contest that day."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I saw the Prestige last night, and yes, it is a brilliant movie.
    At the point in time of the cloning Jackman became two people, and the consciousness was split in two, so it's actually impossible to define one as "The Clone" and the other as "The Original"
    So who is who?
    You have as much right to murder your clone as they have to murder you.
    As far as I can see, they are as much you, as you.
    Same memories, same feelings, same personalities, same everything.

P.S She didn't spoil the entire movie, she just revealed one element of it, there are many more twists and turns to be enjoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Thanks for that missus. While your at it, how does Borat end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

People who seen it , some mite disagree with me even saying what i just said

I've spoken to 5 people about it this morning and two disagreed with me and explained it in a completly diff way so I did not ruin the movie for people
    Is there anything bar the breeze between those ears?
    She didn't spoil the entire movie, she just revealed one element of it, there are many more twists and turns to be enjoyed.
    A major plot element was revealed. Thats enough to annoy me. Thanks to yourself for contributing, btw.

Consideration? On the internet? Impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Hows it ruined? She hasnt said that definitely happens.

I think no. Afaik suicide is technically illegal. So you could e sentenced to life for killing yourself.

This hurts my head to even think about.

• Advertisement

Consideration? On the internet? Impossible.
    Well wtf are you complaining for then?:p

really people not my purpose at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

wow, thanks for ****ing up this movie for me :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

'coolsmileygirl', please go back to school.

Also, you should have no more right to kill your own clone that you would to kill your identical twin. A clone of someone would be a completely different person, despite having the same DNA.

Also, you should have no more right to kill your own clone that you would to kill your identical twin. A clone of someone would be a completely different person, despite having the same DNA.

Indeed, just ask all the Clones that are around the place.....oh......wait......

ok look i'm sick of this I didn't ruin the movie many many different side's to it
    some might even say I'm talking **** and that I was too stupid to understand the movie if what i said was true!:D

I can also say SPOLIER
    there's no fcuking clone and there never was and there are many proof's to back it up but in fairness either theory could be true we'll never know unless we speak to mister director

The Machine does not actually duplicate Angier. The movie is entirely realistic. This is the Prestige. The audience leaves the theatre having seen the movie believing it was just magic
    The duplicates - Angier first notices the machine duplicating things when the blakc cat is placed in the machine and runs outside. There he finds a dozen hats and an identical cat. These were all placed there to con him into believing the machine worked. The designed (Tesla) had no money and nothing to show for it, so he duped Angier. Something Angier would've realised when he lied about what happend when he went into the machine.

How do you explain the stunt he performs for the 100 shows at the end? He gets his stunt double to come back again and play the part of him before he goes into Tesla's machine, he drops through the trapdoor and into the tank. The tank, however, does not get locked on the nights that Alfred didn't go down there. The assistant survives every night, and is unaware that he will be caged to die on the final night. Angier kills his body double on the final night, and that's who is seen in the autopsy room.

The body seen at the end: This is quite simply a case of Angier stealing his body double's body after the autopsy and placing him in the water cage for whatever reason (I need to see the movie again to make more sense of it all). The only other part i have issues with is the scene when Angier shoots himself. This is however a story he is telling, and could easily be a lie (much like 80% of the movie considering it is lived through a diary designed to mislead the other magician).

It's a strong reason why Cutter could not see the workings behind the stage. Cutter had to make a plea in court that Angier was dead, and if he knew the body was not Angier, he'd be lying in court. Angier repeatedly said he didn't want Cutter to be involved, and that's how he managed to do it.

I'm convinced there is no duplication in the movie. The movie functions merely to trick you into believing the movie's plot is based on magic. It's not... It's an illusion. The movie has successfully tricked audiences into believing that it's magic, something magicians have failed to do for years now. The Prestige of the movie itself, is the realisation that the whole thing is an elaborately scripted illusion.

The last few shots quickly snap back to the hats and the cats. The simplest of tricks pulled on the magician himself... And the mention that you never see the prestige because you're not looking for it. The distraction in the movie is the secondary (and obvious) twist that there are two people playing Alfred.
    taken from IMDB as I'm rushing and also it was explained better

Is this where the band wagon stops? Must hop on board...

CSG should be burned at the stake for crimes against whingers ;)

If you want to, you could add (DON'T VIEW THIS THREAD IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN 'THE PRESTIGE') - But I guarantee that people would still view it, and would still whinge. It's about as detrimental as telling someone that Borat may or may not expose thriving American racism.

psst i bet you will still look! :)

If i cloned me I would definitely murder me, what if somebody did something to me and I never knew because it wasn'nt me there it was my clone and if i was truly cloned after a while would I forget which was the original?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Saw the Crying Game last night. Jesus Christ, you would never believe it if I told you.....

If i cloned me I would definitely murder me

I think there are many people who would happily join you? Maybe you could start a business??? :)
    what if somebody did something to me and I never knew because it wasn'nt me there it was my clone

They didn't do it to you, they did it to your clone. It's complicated.
    and if i was truly cloned after a while would I forget which was the original?

Probably, in your case. You could just get a name tag that said "Original" , but they could easily copy that name tag.....your safer to just kill them i think.

• Advertisement

DaBreno wrote:
    Saw the Crying Game last night. Jesus Christ, you would never believe it if I told you.....

They're all ghosts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement