Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL complaints

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Sponge Bob wrote:
    ye are better off emailing it to customer.care@ntl.ie and cc ing odca@entemp.ie

that ways the consumer affairs people have evidence of when you initiated the complaint and NTL know they do .

*EDIT* Irrelevant. I just read the rest of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

312k down and 210k up.

Its worse this thing is getting.. Has anyone actually managed to get through to them and speak to someone who remotely acknowledged the problem??

Im paying for a 2MB connection... and Im on hold for the last 20 mins.

Im about to go... mad. :mad:

connectionspeed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Min is hopeless tonight - its getting worse and worse
    Pings are 100-200ms

Downloads and browsing is very slow - feels almost like dialup and this is meant to be a 6meg line...

Im almost a year with ntl, contracts nearly up so its back to dsl for me next year i think

I always found the service a bit ropey buts its rapidly going downhill...

I cant even be bothered attempting to ring up or write and complain... i get the feeling like others id be hours on hold with no satisfaction at the end of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

C:\>ping 213.244.180.165

Pinging 213.244.180.165 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 213.244.180.165: bytes=32 time=208ms TTL=54
    Reply from 213.244.180.165: bytes=32 time=178ms TTL=54
    Reply from 213.244.180.165: bytes=32 time=167ms TTL=54
    Reply from 213.244.180.165: bytes=32 time=169ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 213.244.180.165:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 167ms, Maximum = 208ms, Average = 180ms

used to be fine before the change over, then the pings went through the roof, but i was getting 30-40ms for the last few weeks and thought maybe it was back to normal...but no, now its gone back to the way it was.....its an absolute joke :mad: ive been with ntl since sep 2001 and it never gave me any trouble, but the last 2-3 months have been a disgrace d/l and ping wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

being with ntl for 5 or 6 years now and its being fine very little downtime good speeds but up untill about 2 months ago i have being getting awfull lag and a constant 200ms jumping to 300ms at peak times,

anybody here living in tallaght area able to get a nice 50 or less ping at peak times with whatever isp they are with i cant bare this horse**** that is ntl anymore :P

Well I got through to "Tech Support".

Yes I have rebooted the modem. Yes.. Its plugged in.

..and yes.. I really do believe you that someone from broadband tech will ring me back tomorrow.

I pity the poor girl I spoke to, she sounded so tired. No way I'd kick and scream to someone like that, they're only the messengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bernardo

Same problem here in Lucan (with NTL since 2001)
    for 4 months now ... it's a bloody joke

tracert 195.20.109.115

Détermination de l'itinéraire vers server109-115.4u-servers.co.uk [195.20.109.115]
    avec un maximum de 30 sauts :

1 6 ms 18 ms 8 ms 10.91.128.1
    2 24 ms 22 ms 8 ms 089-101-162049.ntlworld.ie [89.101.162.49]
    3 25 ms 27 ms 7 ms dbln-t2core-b-ge-2-2-0-0.aorta.net [213.46.165.17]
    4 229 ms 238 ms 247 ms dbln-bb-b-ae1-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.174.57]
    5 258 ms 238 ms 239 ms man-bb-b-so-100-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.174.45]
    6 251 ms 263 ms 230 ms man-bb-a-ge-000-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.187.177]
    7 204 ms 192 ms 191 ms lee-bb-b-so-100-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.194]
    8 230 ms 249 ms 242 ms lee-bb-a-ge-000-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.187.185]
    9 238 ms 275 ms 256 ms nth-bb-b-so-100-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.101]
    10 257 ms 231 ms 234 ms tele-ic-1-as0-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.184.2]
    11 224 ms 203 ms 222 ms 212.250.14.110
    12 257 ms 228 ms 224 ms te4-1.telehouse-north.core.enta.net [87.127.236.38]
    13 243 ms 222 ms 239 ms 62-249-255-186.no-dns-yet.enta.net [62.249.255.186]
    14 236 ms 240 ms 267 ms sov-r1-rtr1.4u.net.uk [217.146.81.254]
    15 256 ms 260 ms 249 ms server109-115.4u-servers.co.uk [195.20.109.115]

I've tried Magnet here in Lucan, joke as well ... to far away from the exchange ... is there in Ireland a real ISP ?

OMG !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

KilOit wrote:
    anybody here living in tallaght area able to get a nice 50 or less ping
    im in Tallaght too and my ping was always 30-50ms for 5 years, then this shower go and screw it all up. Even at peak times my ping was steady as a rock never went above 50ish never disconnected, never went down etc, but as u say, now right now its 220ms and goes up and down like a jockies....and disconnects more than ever, browsing at the mo is impossible too. Short this out ntlhell or there will be a chorus of voices tellin every new potential customer what a great service it USED to be. rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

Would someone mind PMing the complaints number to me too? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

Ryaller wrote:
    Why am I not surprised? I haven't received an undeliverable message yet, but fully expect to within the course of the day.

The guy who sends them out must have been on lunch.

Astro1996 wrote:
    im in Tallaght too and my ping was always 30-50ms for 5 years, then this shower go and screw it all up. Even at peak times my ping was steady as a rock never went above 50ish never disconnected, never went down etc, but as u say, now right now its 220ms and goes up and down like a jockies....and disconnects more than ever, browsing at the mo is impossible too. Short this out ntlhell or there will be a chorus of voices tellin every new potential customer what a great service it USED to be. rant over.

whats actually changed in the past few months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

They got rid of their nice speedy peering at INEX and their nice speedy NTL owned fibre ring which covers all of england at super speeds.

Now they load all of your messages into giant trucks, and slowly deliver them in rush hour traffic to some retarded company called Aorta in the UK, who may or may not take about 300ms to get your message back to the house next door.

This is not a dramatization.

well is it going to change for the better any time soon? it seems to be getting worse by the week, and its being such a good service till now i hate to switch to another company since i dont know much about them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

aorta is owned by GUESS WHO ??!! UPC thats who.

Seeing as Irish support has evaporated I can see from here the contact details for the backbone are him and and her and him and them so contact them all and tell them to sort their routing and peering and backbone connections out for we Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

I'm in Santry, in the evening and this is every evening from around 6 (could be earlier but this is when I get home) NTL broadband does not work until around 9, 10 or sometimes 11 PM the ready light flashes and all looks fine then I'm down to one green light....I complained before and they said it was my modem, I advised that everyone in my apartment block had the same problem...they had to send out 5 engineers to each apartment until they figured their was a problem with the exchange or something......I phoned them the other day to add sky sports package, they could not find me on their system, 'you must be on our new system, sorry' eventually got through to someone who had the 'new' system, guy said it would take an hour to go through, 5 days later nothing......phoned today, a nice girl on the phone said he never put it through!! Joke....I want to move to magnet as I have the Fibre cables in my apartment, but they won't just give me the broadband package...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

i was about to post the exact same thing Easy Rider , except I'm in Finglas getting to the stage where you turn of your PC and cross your fingers that you can connect but between 5-8pm theres not a ****ing hope in hell

does anyone know if theres an end in sight to this as i tought they were "upgrading" i seriously cant take much more of this so am switching at the end of the week to someone who can actually allow you to at least connect to the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

really, there signup form doesnt say you are required to take TV
    http://www.magnet.ie/packages/intro.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

My BB has been down since 16th November, and I mean "down". Not intermittently. A technician (though I use the term loosely) - hi techie;) , in case YOUR broadband connection is still working - visited the following Wednesday 22nd. Before even entering the property, he told me that my problem was with a waterlogged cable somewhere in the area, and that NTL weren't being allowed access to fix it. He couldn't tell me when , if at all, it would be fixed. He also couldn't tell me what the next course of action was.
    I asked him to make sure I wasn't being billed for it while it was down, but of course, he was "only a technician". I would have to spend another hour on hold waiting to get through to accounts to sort that out.
    Next day, I got through to a woman who could barely speak english. I explained my predicament to her, and she gleefully explained to me in broken english that I would have to continue paying for my BB connection, but if they ever got around to fixing the problem, I would be credited!!!
    I just hung up. Couldn't handle it anymore.
    I've emailed every address given in this thread, and sent a hardcopy by post too, but I've heard nothing from anyone at NTL.
    The only bright side is that I don't have a D/D, so if they want any more money from me, I guess they'll have to do the chasing from now on.

its sad how much of a joke this whole affair is turning into...

And to think 6 months ago they had 10 meg connections - last night mine was down to 0.1Meg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

Im in templeogue, around the corner from one of the ntl nodes and i am getting a good enough service at the moment:

Pinging www.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=54
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=54
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=54
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 82.133.85.65:
    Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 27ms, Average = 24ms

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.136.250] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=51
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=51
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=51
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.250:
    Minimum = 39ms, Maximum = 46ms, Average = 42ms

ntlscreen.JPG

getting pretty much full speed from servers in the us/uk and mainland europe
    but only aroung 512Kbps to heanet. i have stopped picking heanet when downloading stuff from sourceforge.. my ping to heanet says it all about UPC's arrangements in Ireland:

Pinging heanet.webhost.heanet.ie [193.1.219.79] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 193.1.219.79: bytes=32 time=379ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.219.79: bytes=32 time=369ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.219.79: bytes=32 time=376ms TTL=52
    Reply from 193.1.219.79: bytes=32 time=360ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 193.1.219.79:
    Minimum = 360ms, Maximum = 379ms, Average = 371ms

Peering at Inex better be in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Our broadband was down from 23rd of November till the 4th of December. Any time we tried to connect to the internet, we'd get a page asking for username and password. My housemate was on hold to them day in day out, and we had several promises of a callback but no callback. Eventually when he did get through to someone who wasn't a complete and utter monkey, all they did was give us the username/password combo which we typed in and everything worked smoothly from then. You'd think someone in first line support would have been able to tell us that first day.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Im about to cry, these guys are a total joke. Got NTL Digital & 6mb Broadband installed on the 15th of Nov, working for two days and both have been totally down ever since.

Email i sent....
    Address:Vernon Street, Dublin 8.

I got Digital Max & 6mb Broadband installed on the 15th of November. It worked great for two days and then the Digital Box could not get a signal and neither could the broadband.
    I reported the problem on Friday 17th (around 7pm), and was told that it was most lightly an issue with the area and that someone would call out and check it that night.
    No difference on the Sat/Sunday, No Contact, called Customer Services again on the Monday and was advised that they would make sure someone would check the area, and if
    it was ok it would be working that night, otherwise someone would be in contact with me within 24hours to arrange a callout or sort out my account details if that was the issue.
    I waited until Wednesday eve and there was no contact and both services were still down.
    Called the accounts dept to make sure there was no problem with my account, it was fine and they said they definitely did not cut me off.
    Was put through to Customer Services again, and explained what was wrong, the guy I was talking to said it sounds like a problem with the connection outside
    the house as both points within went at the same time & the local exchange should be fine. He said there was no need for me to be there as the service guy would check
    the outside, if nothing was found I would be contacted to make a proper appointment but I should wait 24/48hours. I was happy with this as I would not have to take off work.
    Still no connection or contact from NTL by Monday 27th so I called again. An appointment was made for Friday 3rd at 1:30-5:30.
    I waited until Friday morning and called to confirm that I was still due for a callout (as I did not receive a confirmation text message like I got before the install).
    When I got through to Customer Services they had no record of a callout for that Friday, but had one for Saturday morning the 4th.
    I had requested a half day off work to meet the service engineer so cancelled that when I heard the news.
    About an hour later I got a call from Sarah Jane in the Callouts division confirming that I had an appointment for Friday evening, I explained that I had called
    and been told it was for Saturday morning instead. When she tried to confirm the address it was showing up as Lucan so she had the wrong number associated with
    another account, I thought ok that’s fine, and she said she would make sure I was scheduled for Sat morning.
    About 40mins later I got a call from Sarah Jane in Callouts again trying to confirm my appointment for Friday Evening.
    Told her the story again and after some checking she found the appointment but the wrong callout person was booked in (P. Kenny, D3 Area Support).
    She said she was in charge of all the D8 Area Callouts and would make sure that someone would be out to me on Saturday Morning.

Got up at 9am on Saturday morning to wait for a callout, also had my Mobile switched on, no one called in or contacted me. Tried to contact NTL and ended up being on
    hold for close to an hour with no answer.

At this stage I am very annoyed as you can imagine. I have made a total of 7 phone calls, taken time off work when I shouldn’t have needed to and been without TV or Internet for 2 & 1/2 Weeks.
    My two house mates are also extremely unhappy with this and since it’s my responsibility to get it sorted out I am getting the brunt of the complaints.
    I work in an IT Helpdesk, so im very patient in general but the customer service NTL have offered is a disgrace.

Speed seems back to normal here
    Pings have dropped to "normal" too which is 50-80 for most servers but is back down from 100-200

Still think ill go for DSL next years - pings are still too high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭hk797

Just got back from a stag to learn we were getting rid of Eircom and going to a 6M NTL service - 30e / mth for 6 months then 60e for 6 months - a bargain compared to the 80 / month for 3M service - great says I ... have you checked them out with boards.ie ... no says SWMBO ... well says I if its ok by boards.ie then its ok by me ... five minutes pass ... that basket never told me about those issues - good job I checked with boards.ie says SWMBO :rolleyes: ... I don't know what we would do without boards.ie ... thanks to all those who posted and saved the day ... sorry for your troubles ... sleep soundly with that knowledge that you have saved another household from joining your ranks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Same story here, my connection has been consistently awful since late summer.

I'm gonna have to cancel soon. I can't keep paying for this service, its depressing.
    hk797 wrote:
    Just got back from a stag to learn we were getting rid of Eircom and going to a 6M NTL service - 30e / mth for 6 months then 60e for 6 months - a bargain compared to the 80 / month for 3M service - great says I ... have you checked them out with boards.ie ... no says SWMBO ... well says I if its ok by boards.ie then its ok by me ... five minutes pass ... that basket never told me about those issues - good job I checked with boards.ie says SWMBO :rolleyes: ... I don't know what we would do without boards.ie ... thanks to all those who posted and saved the day ... sorry for your troubles ... sleep soundly with that knowledge that you have saved another household from joining your ranks ;)

Your shtick is really irritating says i.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

NTL will be gone in the next month for us, utterly sick of their shít. There is no way I'd ring up a place and ask them to fix their routing when they're getting about 70 quid a month from us for the "pleasure" of their digital tv and broadband.

Back to BT I think, with €50 a month for 3 Meg BB and phone line rental. I'd be happy to be able to play an FPS again for the first time in 2 months, even if I had to take a serious hit to connection speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

JNive wrote:
    really, there signup form doesnt say you are required to take TV
    http://www.magnet.ie/packages/intro.shtml

Ahhh, either their sales team are trying to sell me the tv package or they did not understand....must have missed that package.....used to be able to get a higher speed off them....so the price is 52 euro per month, this not including vat?....what would the line rental be for if I am living in a Fibre optic equiped apartment?? Seems very expensive package......

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

its €42 per month for the first 2 months, then its €52 per month thereafter, that includes vat and line rental ( line rental still applicable to FTTH as far as i know, since its not eircom rental you are paying its magnet rental )

now again, the package is stated as being 4mb, but if you dont have the TV service on that, you will actually get between 5 and 6 fairly easily, at least us on ADSL2+ do. if you want to take their VoIP service with unlimited calls to ireland , its anotehr €10 onto the price. Otherwise the Intro package is a pay per minute ( no call bundle or inclusive minutes )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I had serious problems with NTL at the start but now it's bang up and super fast.

Anybody have any luck with the number I gave out?? I wasn't sure if it was still as good as it was for me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement