Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guess Who Is gating To Atlantis For Season 4? [SPOILER]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Bad news, it will essentially relegate either carter or McKay to nothing more than a comic device for the other. A total waste of either character.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I thought if anyone was to "transfer" it would be Daniel Jackson. For all the other SG-1 team members there is a counter-part in Atlantis - i.e.

Sheppard and Mitchell
    Teal'c and Ronan
    Carter and McKay.

Daniel Jackson, as far as I can see, has no counter-part on Atlantis and would be a different character (if you could call him that)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i think that her and mckay will be brilliant together! barrel of laughs

User45701 wrote:
    i think that her and mckay will be brilliant together! barrel of laughs

That works when one is there merely to set up lines for the other such as McKay in SG-1 or the one episode of Atlantis with Carter. What happens when they are both main characters in the same show? One becomes a permanant clown and loses the credibility they once had, quickly reducing them to an annoyance.

they will probbley get turns saving the day or something like that or be on seperate missions/teams maybe?

• Advertisement

User45701 wrote:
    they will probbley get turns saving the day or something like that or be on seperate missions/teams maybe?

That might work but the Stargate writers have proved they are far from subtle with Vala. I can see Carter having a similar role in Atlantis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It doesn't say she'll be in all the episodes. Hopefully they are just guest spots.

It doesn't say she'll be in all the episodes. Hopefully they are just guest spots.

I don't know, would be good if it was that but the contract is for a full season.

maybe she is on another team or maybe she spends all her time on the Daedalus or else on Atlantis and is only in it for bits and pieces and then sometimes a full episode?

I would have liked Daniel to join, but Carter is abad choice.

• Advertisement

the lates info says one of the main charactors will not be there for season 4 i dont know who it is and dont want to know, if ur posting spoiler tag it plse

so i guess carter will have more to do then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Romo

I like the way Amanda Tapping is developing. A 40something flowering.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Next time you wanna start a one-liner spoiler thread: don't. Hovering over the thread Url pops up AMANDA TAPPING and it really cheesed me off >:(

What do u mean?

if i saw a thread title "gues who will die next episode" i wont be hovering over it

if i was on the BSG forum and saw "guess who turns out to be a cyon next season" i wont read that thread either

Beckitt leaves.

Someone had to do it.

dammit i didnt know who was leaving and i didnt read the news on who is leaving cause id dint want to know

To be honest lads it sort of makes sense that McKay would be leaving. If Amanda Tapping/Carter has to be in Atlantis next season then she should have to replace McKay, not join up with him and the others. As most of us will agree the 2 of them (i.e. Carter and McKay) in the full season togethr wouldn't really work as it would relegate one of them to a pale shadow of their former selves.

Hewlett/McKay himself is a lot more funny than Tapping/Carter and it will be very interesting to see will she fit in as well as Hewlett/McKay. Also Atlantis will be loosing the classic banter between McKay and Sheppard.

One other thing of note - what happens if Atlantis runs to a fifth series - something that is very possible (if season 4 is even reasonable). Will she continue in Stargate for a 12th season. It's hard to see it, IMO.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Kojak wrote:
    To be honest lads it sort of makes sense that McKay would be leaving. If Amanda Tapping/Carter has to be in Atlantis next season then she should have to replace McKay, not join up with him and the others.
    But McKay isn't leaving. I'd imagine they'd be very keen to keep him on - he's the only character in the Stargate universe, for example, to have his name in an episode title. They revolve episodes around him more than others because they know fans love the great comic timing they can get out of him, especially - as you point out - with Sheppard. I'd be horrified if he left...

Carter really doesn't make too much sense. There's obvious humour there in the way McKay has a crush on her, and more could be enticed from their rilvary but do really need another genius scientist there? Let's not forget Zelenka is also highly intelligent - is he going to be further sidelined?

Daniel easily makes the most sense as there's noone there currently acting in a role similiar to his. His knowledge of the Ancients would be very useful too. I wonder if they offered Shanks the role and he turned it down? It just seems insane that he wouldn't be their first choice.

ixoy wrote:
    But McKay isn't leaving. I'd imagine they'd be very keen to keep him on - he's the only character in the Stargate universe, for example, to have his name in an episode title. They revolve episodes around him more than others because they know fans love the great comic timing they can get out of him, especially - as you point out - with Sheppard. I'd be horrified if he left...

Carter really doesn't make too much sense. There's obvious humour there in the way McKay has a crush on her, and more could be enticed from their rilvary but do really need another genius scientist there? Let's not forget Zelenka is also highly intelligent - is he going to be further sidelined?

Daniel easily makes the most sense as there's noone there currently acting in a role similiar to his. His knowledge of the Ancients would be very useful too. I wonder if they offered Shanks the role and he turned it down? It just seems insane that he wouldn't be their first choice.

Apologies lads, I read Beckett as Hewlett :o

Agree with the Shanks thing, ixoy. He is (would be) the only unique chararcter in the Atlantis programme. With Hewlett (I got it right this time :D ) and Tapping there, it will be doubling up on the same type of character. Also will McKay now be the one who is failing and coming up with ideas that don't work?? This would be a massive departure fro his existing character where he nearly always gets it right.

With Daniel Jackson's knowledge of Ancient history/languages he would have been a welcome addition, especially if the Atlantis crew came across some ancient ruins. Now that I thin of it, Atlantis hasn't really had much of that type of thing - i.e. where the team discover some form of ruins that have the secret of some brilliant weapons/out-post etc.

Carson Beckett leaving - I'm not too bothered about it. He was a character who went missing, IMO, from many episodes. SG1 survived without a medical doctor as a main chararter for years, I think Atlantis will as well. Does anyone know if Paul McGellion (sp?) wanted to/was asked to leave the show????

From what I read in Gateworld it's not confirmed but they had quotes from McGillon and he seemed to want to come back. I think he is gone though, too bad I like him. Think Atlantis had a different dynamic to SG-1 and while there was no doctor in SG-1, I think the Beckett character fit in very well in Atlantis. If they're gonna start sacking Atlantis actors to accomodate Sg-1 alumni then they can stick the show up their arse to be honest.

• Advertisement

In fairness, Beckitt was great in his supporting role in season 1, but promoting him to full time cast ruined him.
    All of a sudden stories had to be written to include him and that wasn't very good for the show, not to mention the fact that they over played everything about him since his promotion. I'm not glad to see him leave but I blame his promotion.
    As for the Sg-1 characters replacing Atlantis characters...if they did it properly, I would be interested.
    I just can't see how Tapping is going to work for a whole season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Beckett was great, but Tapping AND Kaylee (from Firefly) together will be better!
    http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/10/jewel_staite_returning_to_iatlan.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

Guys...please please please...see the light...kill mackay....please kill him. The series would be so much better without him. Burn him at the fires of the Ori!!!!!!! Slowly and then never speak his name again.

THE most annoying character I've ever had to watch. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Surion wrote:
    Guys...please please please...see the light...kill mackay....please kill him. The series would be so much better without him. Burn him at the fires of the Ori!!!!!!! Slowly and then never speak his name again.

You realize you're in a minority of probably one, yeah? There's not a chance in hell they'd kill him off. He's the most popular member (and rightfully so). How can you hate the McKay brilliance?! :confused:

Ye i have to agree with Ixoy on this one.
    Mckay has probbley kept some people watching SGA just cause he is in it and he is relay funny

Surion wrote:

:eek: Get out!!!! :p

Surion wrote:

Are you feeling alright, mate???? McKay is the best character in Atlantis, IMO.

Would you prefer Angry Ronan to be the lead character? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ixoy wrote:
    You realize you're in a minority of probably one, yeah? There's not a chance in hell they'd kill him off. He's the most popular member (and rightfully so). How can you hate the McKay brilliance?! :confused:

Just a question...does anybody else feel McKay is also being over-played abit?

Just a question...does anybody else feel McKay is also being over-played abit?

A bit yes, they are deffinately aware that he is the most popular aspect of the show. Hope they don't use him so much as to dilute his appeal.

• Advertisement

Or as such that they'll have to get rid of him next year.

Advertisement