Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone else off the beer?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

bluewolf wrote:
    Are you an alcoholic? If so perhaps bring someone with you to help you stay away from the bar

If you're not an alcoholic, cop the hell on
    :rolleyes:
    I think most of you are forgetting the main point- when you are drunk, the drunks around you are your best mates. When you are sober, the drunks around you are slurring, talking out of their arse, shouting and generally wrecking your head, even if they actually are your mates. You have to be drunk with them, rather than sober around them.

Saint_Mel- my mate goes to innumerable weddings (mother is from a family of 13 or something) according to him there is free bars with champagne, brandy and all till 5am.

Ive only ever been at two weddings :( My cousins are more the baby first maybe wedding in 5 years types.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

petes wrote:
    Whats giving up drink in November got to do with remembering the dead?

OP can I go in your place?

First of november is the feast of the Holy Souls; the month is in memory of them. I know, for instance, that 'round these here parts, 'prayers are said for the month of november in the graveyard every sunday at 3pm, weather permitting' is announced every sunday at mass in november...

*edit*

oh yeah and OP...it's possible to go to a wedding and not drink and enjoy the gig. If you enjoy a drink though, the fact of the matter is that it'll be a hell of a lot more fun if you've a few scoops into you. Personally, as previously stated, unless the reason for giving up is medical, then i'd have a pint; you sound like you'd be in danger of boring people with the 'I'm not drinking even though there's a free bar' line....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

First of november is the feast of the Holy Souls; the month is in memory of them. I know, for instance, that 'round these here parts, 'prayers are said for the month of november in the graveyard every sunday at 3pm, weather permitting' is announced every sunday at mass in november...

Fair enough, but thats not what I asked. Whats giving up drink have to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

shane86 wrote:
    Saint_Mel- my mate goes to innumerable weddings (mother is from a family of 13 or something) according to him there is free bars with champagne, brandy and all till 5am.

Damn, I gotta start going to better weddings :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

shane86 wrote:
    I think most of you are forgetting the main point- when you are drunk, the drunks around you are your best mates. When you are sober, the drunks around you are slurring, talking out of their arse, shouting and generally wrecking your head, even if they actually are your mates. You have to be drunk with them, rather than sober around them.
    That's the biggest load of rubbish I've heard in my life.
    If the company of your friends is that bad, leave.

Unless you think that joining in by shouting and wrecking people's heads is perfectly acceptable. Should everyone get completely drunk just to make sure noone is offended? And why does drunk have to mean *that* drunk?
    I'm really surprised at most peoples responses....'Oh, if you can't resist temptation you must be an alcoholic!!'....bullsh*t!!
    This is why I'm more convinced daily that most of Ireland has a drinking problem... :rolleyes:
    You can give up any time you want, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

oh - it's, er, atonement and denial innit for the benefit of the dead. the theory being (and any cardinal lawyers who know more might want to weigh in here!) that the dead don't go straight to heaven, rather they go to purgatory - otherwise known as heavens waiting room.

the idea is that those on this earth can intercede for those in purgatory by prayer, self denial and the like...and november is the month devoted to this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

pepper wrote:
    anyone else off the beer?
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i need SOME reason-ANY REASON! HELP!!!!!!!!

im off the drink and i have been invited to a wedding friday-a very rich friends son is getting married

and its a FREE BAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP ME DEAR GOD HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

I'll gladly go in your place and drink enough for both of us.

Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Caliden wrote:
    I'll gladly go in your place and drink enough for both of us.

Cheers :D

I asked first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

You sound like those dolts (mainly Dubs ) who go off the beer for the month of November.Then you spend the whole of December tryin to catch up.

Get a life and cop yourself on...if you want a drink ,have one!

Won't make the slightest whit of difference.

Well the taoiseach Bertie Ahern gives up drink for November.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

petes wrote:
    I asked first.

I've got an oversized trenchcoat and a set of shoulders

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

if it bothers you that much, drink coke and tell people theres jack daniels in it...or get some non alcoholic beer... duno if the bar will have it but i know that some bars did serve it... been to quite a few free bars myself through the old job so i sympathise where ya coming from. no one likes turning down a free night, not having to pay for a drink makes it taste all the more sweet doesnt it :)

splinter wrote:
    or get some non alcoholic beer... duno if the bar will have it but i know that some bars did serve it...

Good ****ing God stay away. Last night our designated driver decided to try a bottle of Indian non alcoholic beer called Cobra.

This may be misinterpreted as racist, but it actually did smell like a curry :eek: As for the taste.....well, our driver had a mouthful then decided she was having no more. Drank a drop, it tasted slightly like the vomit you get at 11am the morning after having sank about 15 pints in 4 or 5 hours the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I gave up the booze about 9 months ago , for a year , still off it -- but its really hard - especially with Christmas coming up --
    I gave it up due to bad hangovers, and over doing it -- binging -- which now seams to be a national past time.
    It raises the question what is an alcoholic ?
    I didn't really drink spirits , never drank in the morning , but when i started that was it -- keep going -- i probably would be defined alocoholic by those alcoholic tests and by strict puritans (but sure 40 % of the country would also !) -- but then i don't know what really defines an alocohilic , its no longer just someone homeless with the bottle of sherry cider living in half way houses , but i don't buy into the idea its a disease , then again maybe it is .
    Anyway still sober !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

shane86 wrote:
    Good ****ing God stay away. Last night our designated driver decided to try a bottle of Indian non alcoholic beer called Cobra.

This may be misinterpreted as racist, but it actually did smell like a curry

how the fook could that be misinterperated as racist?

Cobra is actually quite nice. you should also try Tiger Beer

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

tiger is alcoholic though aint it?

Mossy Monk wrote:
    how the fook could that be misinterperated as racist?

Cobra is actually quite nice. you should also try Tiger Beer

Theres people here who dont think John Ward deserved to die and Nally should be locked up. I wouldnt put any accusation past them.

Cant believe anyone can drink the Cobra stuff, yid be sicker from 3 of them than 16 of alcohol beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

ok ok i went for it

*cries*

was so worth it though!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

pepper wrote:
    ok ok i went for it

*cries*

was so worth it though!!!:D
    So you can't actually control yourself around alcohol afterall?

Thats sad to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

splinter wrote:
    been to quite a few free bars myself through the old job so i sympathise where ya coming from. no one likes turning down a free night, not having to pay for a drink makes it taste all the more sweet doesnt it :)

I'm really amazed at what the general consensus is here. I've always found people's attitudes to free stuff very representative of what type of person they are. How flaming cheap! If you want a drink go and buy one and have a bit of bloody dignity. So just because it's free people feel compelled to make complete swines of themselves? Purlease.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Are you complaining that people take free stuff when its offered to them? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Aoife-FM104

Cobra is alcoholic!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Are you complaining that people take free stuff when its offered to them? :confused:

Yeah, fine. OK to accept the offer of a couple of free drinks graciously but personally I find it vile when people make themselves almost sick tripping over each other "because it's free".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Cobra is alcoholic!!!
    There is a non-alcoholic variant too.
    Miss Fluff wrote:
    Yeah, fine. OK to accept the offer of a couple of free drinks graciously but personally I find it vile when people make themselves almost sick tripping over each other "because it's free".
    Most of them would do the same thing even if it wasn't but there's always a few who'll be up at the bar asking for double brandy, etc just because it's free. The end of the night at a wedding is always messy anyway. I've turned up at the end of one as a designated driver collecting my father and ended up being called a 'pr*ck' and a 'dry c*nt' by people I'd never even met because I wouldn't accept a free pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

do you need a date ;). People in this thread always try and take the higher ground accusing you of being an alcho so what if you drink once its in moderation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ANXIOUS wrote:
    do you need a date ;). People in this thread always try and take the higher ground accusing you of being an alcho so what if you drink once its in moderation
    I'm not sure a lot of people around here know what moderation even means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the high horse is getting sleepy. you better get off for a while

I haven't posted in a while the horsy was getting bored :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

ah now, a free bar is a free bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

If you are not an alco why are you off the drink? - what a waste of a free bar you are! why is it that people feel the need to punish and deprive themselves of things that they want?

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote:
    I'm not sure a lot of people around here know what moderation even means

Mammy I thought I told you to quit posting here. Yer wreckin me buzzzzzzzz

Wasnt it Richard Harris or someone who once said "Moderation? BOLLOCKS!" :)

Advertisement