Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone else off the beer?

Options
  • 22-11-2006 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i need SOME reason-ANY REASON! HELP!!!!!!!!

im off the drink and i have been invited to a wedding friday-a very rich friends son is getting married

and its a FREE BAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP ME DEAR GOD HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Are you an alcoholic? If you aren't, it really shouldn't be that hard to avoid drinking.
    If you are, there is help available.

EDIT: Oh and theres no need for so many exclamation marks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

pepper wrote:
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im off the drink and i have been invited to a wedding friday-a very rich friends son is getting married

and its a FREE BAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP ME DEAR GOD HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(
    Are you an alcoholic? If so perhaps bring someone with you to help you stay away from the bar

If you're not an alcoholic, cop the hell on
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

rb_ie wrote:
    Are you an alcoholic? If you aren't, it really shouldn't be that hard to avoid drinking.

Did you not see the "free bar" bit

I will probley never have a free bar again in my life!!!

ps-Im not an alco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ouch!!! One of your exclamation marks, hit me in the eye!!!!:eek: Just go to the wedding and make an excuse to skip the reception, or skip the whole lot and you won't have to get a present. Free minerals ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I'd usually be sanctimonious with everyone else...but a free bar is taking the piss. You have my sympathy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

pepper wrote:

ps-Im not an alco
    You sound like one. You don't need to drink alcohol just because it's there.

pepper wrote:
    Did you not see the "free bar" bit

I will probley never have a free bar again in my life!!!

ps-Im not an alco
    So what? Its a free bar, doesn't mean you have to drink from it. I'm sure you'll encounter them again btw.

If you're not an alcoholic, you don't have anything to worry about. Its not like you've a dependency on alcohol, so at least you'll now have as much free cokes/7ups/other non-alcoholic drinks as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

What better way to test your will power than to laugh in the face of this free bar.

Go to this wedding and scoff at all the others as they slug down those nice free cool refreshing pints, while you sit smugly knowing that you could have one too, but chose not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

You sound like those dolts (mainly Dubs ) who go off the beer for the month of November.Then you spend the whole of December tryin to catch up.

Get a life and cop yourself on...if you want a drink ,have one!

Won't make the slightest whit of difference.

You sound like those dolts (mainly Dubs ) who go off the beer for the month of November.Then you spend the whole of December tryin to catch up.

:confused:

I'm from Dublin and this is something I've never, ever, witnessed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

rb_ie wrote:
    :confused:

I'm from Dublin and this is something I've never, ever, witnessed.

From cork. Never heard anything before about people giving up the drink for november.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Crucifix wrote:
    I'd usually be sanctimonious with everyone else...but a free bar is taking the piss.

Giving the piss? :D

Can't see the problem op. Don't drink.

thrill wrote:
    From cork. Never heard anything before about people giving up the drink for november.
    Nor have I, anywhere in Ireland infact.

I've a feeling FlutteringBantam is talking out of his arse.

It's out of respect for the dead lost in various wars, I think.
    I hear it's not usually an Irish thing though, but it's done, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

rb_ie wrote:

EDIT: Oh and theres no need for so many exclamation marks.

what he said, even if it is a free bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Do they have any crunchies?

Da dumdum tsshhh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

pepper wrote:
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about because you're a human being, not an automaton, and you were blessed with free will? That is, the ability to say no.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If alcoholic, attend the wedding and then make a very short appearance in the receiving line, then leave. If not, then try to control your drinking by staying away from the bar. Or order virgin drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Go and make full and flagrant use of the free bar, whilst proceeding to make a complete twit of yourself, possibly involving falling into the cake and/or trying it on with the bride or groom (or both!)

Problem solved. You'll have both witnesssed the awesomeness that is the Free Bar™, and precluded yourself from evr seeing one again, since no-one else in your social circle will ever even consider inviting you to anything that involves alcohol again.

Or you could just go and notdrink. Or go and drink just a bit. Or get sh*tfaced.
    It's only alcohol you've given up...not oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Can't believe everyone isn't familiar with the concept of giving up the beer for November - its in memory of the dead(not just in wars) or "for the holy souls" as they say. Mainly of course its done to save money/test yourself/detox etc before the Christmas blow out.

As regards the OP if I were you I would just drink - whats the big deal? what are you trying to prove? and to whom? Have a few drinks, enjoy the day no biggie. Obviously if you were advised not to for medical reasons/ had to drive or whatever - then it would be bad if you couldn't enjoy yourself without alcohol. But if there's no good reason then just do it - your mate won't be getting married again.

• Advertisement

wow sierra wrote:
    Can't believe everyone isn't familiar with the concept of giving up the beer for November - its in memory of the dead(not just in wars) or "for the holy souls" as they say.

Before I read this thread, I had never heard of it before. Oh well, sure Novembers almost over, no point in starting now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

wow sierra wrote:
    Can't believe everyone isn't familiar with the concept of giving up the beer for November

not heard of it until this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Or order virgin drinks.

Ditto. Also you can down them faster than if they had alcohol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

rb_ie wrote:
    Nor have I, anywhere in Ireland infact.

I've a feeling FlutteringBantam is talking out of his arse.

'Scuse me Miss,none other than An Taoiseach, Bartholemew Ahearne ,I'm reliably informed,follows this custom.So please retract that statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If you're that cut up about the possibility of missing a free bar then maybe you're better off being off the drink. As I see it the options are:

- go and drink on the basis that you won't be going on the beer again for a while and it's costing nothing
    - turn up, put up with not drinking, and try to enjoy yourself
    - hide somewhere at home feigning illness to hide whatever you need to hide

The real question I have after reading your post is do you want us to justify you going on the beer for the day, justify you keeping off the drink or justify you weaseling out and not going. I'm not going to pick one for you. Do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

I gave up drink in the early summer as it made my wifes morning sickness 10 times worse so i decided to give up drink while she was pregnant, I havent had a drink since didnt even wet the baby's head and I dont miss it, nor do i miss the sore head in the morning, I wont say i will never drink again but right now i dont have the disire for it, and anyone that says they cant say no has a serious problem, think of it this way, if you went to a party with free pints of milk all night, would u even drink one? at the end of the day its only another drink with side effects, yes I enjoy my social jar, but no more then I enjoy a social coffee, or coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I thought the no booze for November was common enough!!

Never bothered to think about the reasons but I always done/tried
    it to save cash and detox before December when theres always
    Christmas parties and meet up/reunions etc.

Few things have come up this year in particular that has warranted
    going out for a pint or 2 in November so I just went ahead but took
    it fairly handy.

Free bar is always tempting, due to the rip off prices of drink under
    normal circumstances, so if you want to avail, do, but if it makes you
    feel guilty just don't to town on it.

Oh, and in my experiences of many a wedding, no matter how wealthy
    the people are, the old free bar only lasts a few drinks anyway.

Remember, they didn't get rich by giving everyone free beer!

Anyway, enjoy the wedding, kick back and have a beer if you feel like it.
    Dont get all wound up about letting yourself down, fcuk it, theres always
    the Janurary dry and next November to try.
    And don't get depressed at the thoughts of the "if you cant enjoy a night
    out without a drink you must be an alco" brigade! I'm sure they can live full enjoyable lives staying off beer, but hey, thats them and your you.

Unless it's a medical reason your off it, sucumb to drink if not to save money before xmas !
    Although just have 3-4 as usually when there's a free bar people at the said event aren't the kind to be doing tequila and aftershock off the bar so behave!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Whats giving up drink in November got to do with remembering the dead?

OP can I go in your place?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

I'm really surprised at most peoples responses....'Oh, if you can't resist temptation you must be an alcoholic!!'....bullsh*t!!

I understand OP, I'm not an alco either but I'd find it pretty hard to go to a wedding with a free bar and not have a drink. People tend to get completely wasted at weddings too, especially one with a free bar and being surrounded by drunk people when you're sober is no fun. If you haven't given up for medical reasons than maybe just give in and have a drink that day. Take your time and alternate each drink with a non-alcoholic drink. Just enjoy yourself...

Advertisement