Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queens of the Stone Age

• 22-11-2006 3:32pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to buy a Queens of the Stone Age album, which one is the easiest to "get into"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭gucci

if "getting into" you mean the style of music that would be most radio friendly id suggest the newest album,lullabies to paralyze, however songs for the deaf would be my vote for best album. i wouldnt claim to be their biggest fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Ohh...its all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

yeah it's all good. I'd say lullabies is the hardest to get into mind. Rated R or Songs for the Deaf i guess are the easiest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Their first album which is slef titled is by fay their best altough its probably not as easy to get into as the others

• Registered Users Posts: 21,098 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Lullabies to Paralyze definately for a first one. With songs like Little Sister and In My Head, much more easy going than most. Songs For The Deaf is different from their other albums, a more raw, rock sound possibly influenced by Dave Grohl on drums. 'R'(not Rated R) is a great album, but ya might need to be into them a bit more before getting this one. I personally think this one reflects more on Josh's and Nicks other band, Kyuss, which isnt a bad thing. The self-titled album is a great album, but possibly leave it till the end if ya get that much into them. Very different album and one way NOT to get into them is by listening to the intro of Regular John on repeat. All very different albums, but Lullabies to Paralyze possibly easiest for a first timer, thats what I found anyway

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Songs for the Deaf, its what got me into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I second 'Songs for the Deaf'.

It was the first QOTSA album that I got and it was so good that I ended up getting all of their other albums.

While on topic of QOTSA, I was floating about their Myspace page, and it has the people of the band. But it says Josh, Troy and Joey as the players, then the bassist space is left as "the new guy". What does this mean? Has Alain left the band? Kinda adds speculation to the rumour that I saw on this website that the DFA 1979 bassist was to become the new one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Songs For The Deaf
    Give it a few listens straight through, great album...

The song 'The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret' from Rated R got me into them, but then I got SFTD and it blew me away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Songs For the Deaf is their best, in my opinion. Rated R is probably close enough to being on a par, but SFTD has something extra. Lullabies to Paralyse is a pretty bad album, in my opinion; it was about the time that came out that I realised I didn't really like QFTSA. The self-titled album isn't great either, but maybe it just takes getting into, as someone suggested.

For a first time listener, I'd certainly recommend Songs for the Deaf as a starting point, but I'd recommend trying a different band even more fervently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Songs for the Deaf, its what got me into them.

Same. I'd go with this aswell

Heres one way to get into them:

http://www.last.fm/music/Queens+of+the+Stone+Age

It has all the studio albums, listen a bit, then you can decide. Varying opinions can make it too hard to choose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 VCK

Lullabies To Paralyse
    Rated R
    Songs For The Deaf
    Queens Of The Stone Age

In that order.

If you want I can also do a list of songs to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

VCK wrote:
    Lullabies To Paralyse
    Rated R
    Songs For The Deaf
    Queens Of The Stone Age

In that order.

If you want I can also do a list of songs to download.

I listened to Lullabies to Paralyse last night for the second time ever (once when I bought it). I thought I must have missed something on the first time but no, listening to it again it is a woeful, woeful album. I don't know how this is the same band that did Rated R and Songs for the Deaf (OK, I know it's not the same band).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 VCK

John wrote:
    I listened to Lullabies to Paralyse last night for the second time ever (once when I bought it). I thought I must have missed something on the first time but no, listening to it again it is a woeful, woeful album. I don't know how this is the same band that did Rated R and Songs for the Deaf (OK, I know it's not the same band).

The absence of Nick Oliveri, perhaps?

I think Lullabies has a more mainstream friendly sound, but it's still a great album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Mushy wrote:
    While on topic of QOTSA, I was floating about their Myspace page, and it has the people of the band. But it says Josh, Troy and Joey as the players, then the bassist space is left as "the new guy". What does this mean? Has Alain left the band? Kinda adds speculation to the rumour that I saw on this website that the DFA 1979 bassist was to become the new one
    I heard he was just "working with them".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

VCK wrote:
    I think Lullabies has a more mainstream friendly sound, but it's still a great album.

To me it's a little less radio friendly. It just has that appeal for me. Maybe it's because No one Knows was played so much when it came out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

They're one of my favourite bands simply for "Someone's in the wolf" and "a song for the dead"

Get Songs for the Deaf and Lullabies, wouldn't really recommend Rated R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Rated R > Songs For The Deaf > Lullabies > QOTSA

Songs for the Deaf probably best for a first buy, very poppy heavy album that is easy to get into. Rated R is absolute class after about 5 listens of familiarisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Rated R was pretty crap imo. Too many 'quirky' songs on it like feel good hit of the summer. Yeah its cool the first time you hear it but then you just skip it.
    SFTD i got into real fast and got out of even faster. Maybe its the dave 'shameless band whore' grohl bit but i just got sick of it.
    To this day the only qotsa album i can listen to os thier first self titled album. Its easily thier best. Has no stupid 'funny' or 'quirky' tracks. Just all out rock, and no stupid radio bits a la sftd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Man, I don't understand the Rated R hate, probably one of the best rock albums of the last ten years IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Googe

I would recomend getting them in this order

Rated R
    QOTSA
    Song For The Dead
    Lullabies

Although thats just my order of preference. the first album is an absolute gem

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I've liked them since their self-titled back in '98 but I'd probably recommed Songs For the Deaf to get into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Songs For The Deaf. It had me hooked when i bought it.

John wrote:
    Man, I don't understand the Rated R hate, probably one of the best rock albums of the last ten years IMO.

Shared feeling there. Great album, very upbeat...love it! The only thing I find "wrong" about SFTD for a first time listener is that it is quite different than the others. As I said, its more hard rock sounding than anything else, nothing like the "weirder" stuff on the other albums, for example, You Would Know, In The Fade or I Never Came. Personally, thats what I love bout QOTSA, those very different songs. I feel theres nothing like that on SFTD. Im still gonna go with LTP for a first-timer, ffeel it has a good mix of songs, be it older, or a new direction they might be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Songs for the Deaf. One of the ONLY albums I heard playing in a record shop and actually went to the counter to check out the "now playing" display to find out what it was. Brilliant brilliant album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

I'd have to say Songs For The Deaf. it is stilll one of my all time favourite albums. Lullabys i found harder to get into but that was because i liked the raw sound of SFTD too much. the self titiled should probably be the last you check out it is the hardest to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

Dyflin wrote:
    I want to buy a Queens of the Stone Age album, which one is the easiest to "get into"?

Songs for the deaf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

I'm not feeling the Rated R love personally. Granted I've never heard any of theire Kyuss stuff or pre-Rated R QOTSA, but it's a bit poppy for my liking. Definitely Songs for the Deaf for me, really liked the radio format the album took.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

First of all, thank you very much for all the input. Because of all the recommendations I went out and bought...

Songs for the deaf

It took a few listens to get into but I'm enjoying it now. Not blowing me away by any standard, but worth having in the collection. My favourite tracks thus far are 'A Song for the Dead' (what an ending, wow!) and 'Hangin' Tree' (moves along beautifully). I really liked 'Burn the Witch' when I first heard that song on the radio, is it indicitave of the qualiity of the tracks on 'Lullabies to Paralyze'? Plus there's a great video to go with it!

Advertisement