Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queens of the Stone Age

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dyflin, ya should hear the live version of Songs for the Dead...if ya like the cd ending, ya aint heard anything yet! Id say Burn the Witch would be more poppy than most on LTP, but it does show some of the quality that is on the album. Glad your enjoying SFTD anyway, definately worth it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Where is this live version of A Song for the Dead that you speak of? I MUST hear it. :D

Well they have a live DVD called Over the Hills and Through the Woods, taking from their two London shows in August 05, that comes with a cd of some songs that are on the dvd and also some other songs that arent on the the dvd. I dont know would ya bother buying it, but Im sure its up for download(legally) somewhere. Just make sure its London 05 though if ya do it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Regular John Live FTW. I know its not on sftd but its a really good song.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Mushy wrote:
    Well they have a live DVD called Over the Hills and Through the Woods, taking from their two London shows in August 05, that comes with a cd of some songs that are on the dvd and also some other songs that arent on the the dvd. I dont know would ya bother buying it, but Im sure its up for download(legally) somewhere. Just make sure its London 05 though if ya do it that way

Don't ever "buy" downloaded music. You're not "buying" anything, it's a rip off.

• Advertisement

Slutmonkey57b, I know, I dont download music at all, just others might, like the person I was referring it to, do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Don't ever "buy" downloaded music. You're not "buying" anything, it's a rip off.

CDs are the rip off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Giblet wrote:
    CDs are the rip off ;)

Quoted for truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ciantheod

right this is the truth.listen to all of there albums lots,then research the desert sessions .then get them all and listen to them from newest to eldest.then put on some kyuss ,dont mind the vocal but just enjoy the jam.then imagine it all live .no one touches them .enjoy .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bk2020

ciantheod wrote: »
    right this is the truth.listen to all of there albums lots,then research the desert sessions .then get them all and listen to them from newest to eldest.then put on some kyuss ,dont mind the vocal but just enjoy the jam.then imagine it all live .no one touches them .enjoy .

Everything stated above.
    Could not have put it better myself.
    NO ONE TOUCHES THEM.
    It'll be intersting to see where Josh goes in the nexy few years.
    My prediction is a continued revolving door polcy and a "disbanding" of QOTSA as a unit, instead Josh will contiune to release "Desert Sessions" through a download set up on a website. Each one featuring classic tunes and quirky little numbers to accompany them. And tons of great musicians.
    In fact Josh's real musical contribution to the world might not have even started yet!! :pac:

He has already voiced his anger at record companies, and he has pretty much cemented himself into contemporary rock. I think he'll tire of big gigs and tours, and instead do smaller more eclectic tours in the future. Just hope he remebers his pals here in Ireland.

YEAH I KNOW ITS AN OLD POST......

...BUT SO FCUKIN WHAT.......:p .......ITS QOTSA BABY!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Why did the same poster drag up two old QOTSA threads?:confused:

But yeah I reckon Josh will probably focus more on Desert Sessions and stuff like that than QOTSA in the future. He's producing the next Arctic Monkeys album too which could be another direction for him to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Oh god no. I hate Arctic Monkeys. Why is he lowering himself in to that rubbish?

Josh and QOTSA are the exact opposite of Arctic Monkeys - good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bk2020

Carlsberg don't do holidays.....

....in fact they should just stick with brewing till they get that right.

However, cheq diz ............
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eS1r3B_4Uo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I don't understand why people drag up threads almost 2 years old?! The stupidity is 90! Oh well... Queens Of The Stoneage rule!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Oh god no. I hate Arctic Monkeys. Why is he lowering himself in to that rubbish?

That has to be rubbish!!!! Please tell me it's a lie!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

JaneyMc wrote: »
    What?! Is it a lie he's working with them or that the Arctic Monkeys are shìt?!
    Anyway, they are shìt.

Nailz wrote: »
    What?! Is it a lie he's working with them or that the Arctic Monkeys are shìt?!
    Anyway, they are shìt.

No, he does be working with them. Doesnt really bother me, its nt gonna affect the quality of his music at all really. Maybe thats what he meant when he'd be back in the studio by the end of this year.

I'm glad to see these threads again...forgot about the. I'm gonna go listen to Born to Hula now(once I leave this library). Also, kinda directed at mods, I know of this really cool site that has downloads of live shows(found it through official forum, QOTSA's that is), and am just wondering would it be wrong of me to post a link up to it here? General comment bout it...some great gigs I have CRACKIN Desert Sessions songs(Cake, Eccentric Man). Has a whole catalogue of years of gigs...brilliant source to find different versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

JaneyMc wrote: »

Josh has talked a lot about how much he likes them. Last year he used to go on about how 'badass' he thought they were and the two bands even played together. I didn't think he would be producing them but I knew he would be doing something with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Mushy wrote: »
    No, he does be working with them. Doesnt really bother me, its nt gonna affect the quality of his music at all really. Maybe thats what he meant when he'd be back in the studio by the end of this year.

I'm glad to see these threads again...forgot about the. I'm gonna go listen to Born to Hula now(once I leave this library). Also, kinda directed at mods, I know of this really cool site that has downloads of live shows(found it through official forum, QOTSA's that is), and am just wondering would it be wrong of me to post a link up to it here? General comment bout it...some great gigs I have CRACKIN Desert Sessions songs(Cake, Eccentric Man). Has a whole catalogue of years of gigs...brilliant source to find different versions.

Bootlegs are legal man, fire away. Let us know the best versions.

Kold wrote: »
    Bootlegs are legal man, fire away. Let us know the best versions.

Ok, I'll take your word on it. Mods can do whatever they want if not allowed.

www.q-o-t-s-a.blogspot.com is the site. Has loads of gigs, plenty of videos(altho I havent looked at any of them). Their best known gigs, the ones where everything goes right, would be: Bizarre 1998, Big Day Out 2001(really hope thats there), Eurockeenes 2005...they are classed as some of the best shows they've done. Other mentionable ones for top quality...Natasha Schneider Benefit(2008), De Loft Berlin 1998, Berlin Colubiahalle 2007(they streamed this at the time, vids on youtube, whopper set), Montreaux Jazz Fest 2005, Live But Rare(big collection of rare songs played live...could ye have guessed?:D)

I'm sure ye'll find something in there to tickle your fancy...take a look at setlist before downloading. Also, Winzip will be needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Yeah this is a wicked site alright.

Also found this on another site
    http://getoffmyelevator.blogspot.com/2008/07/ultimate-qotsa-collection_24.html

The 5:15ers are a project started by Josh Homme and Chris Goss.They haven't released anything solid,they just played a few shows,covering some songs from Era Vulgaris,Mark Lannegan albums and Masters of Reality.Some of these shows have been floating around the internet.
    [http://rapidshare.com/files/127000325/515ers_live_arthurball.rar

Haven't had a chance to download myself, only found it yesterday.

Share the QOTSA love. :pac:

oldscoil wrote: »
    Yeah this is a wicked site alright.

Also found this on another site
    http://getoffmyelevator.blogspot.com/2008/07/ultimate-qotsa-collection_24.html

The 5:15ers are a project started by Josh Homme and Chris Goss.They haven't released anything solid,they just played a few shows,covering some songs from Era Vulgaris,Mark Lannegan albums and Masters of Reality.Some of these shows have been floating around the internet.
    [http://rapidshare.com/files/127000325/515ers_live_arthurball.rar

Haven't had a chance to download myself, only found it yesterday.

Share the QOTSA love. :pac:

Wow...have heard a lot of these, but only listened a small bit...nice find!

Also, if ye hop over to the Gigs/Events forum, ye'll see Mikey is in Ireland this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

QOTSA are by far the best band there is going atm. I've worshiped them since i heard queens of the stone age(my sig :]). I heard 'gamma ray' after i heard teh qotsa album and knew that was it.

If i was you i would get them in this order for the following reasons.

Lullabies To Paralyse
    Well rounded album, rocks hard yet very emotional. Catchy tunes, with a modern sound, yet in a way that only josh can produce.

Queens Of The Stone Age
    This album rocks sooo fking hard. Mexicola, Regular John, If only, you cant quit me baby.. Jesus that album is amazing. If you want a seriously hard rocking album, go for this

Rated R
    Real "stoner" type album imo with a nice cover or two in there. Check out in the fade, monsters in the parasol, better living through chemistry.. Amazing

Songs For The Deaf
    Its the staple qotsa diet that album. Amazing tracks, everyone knows it, not much to say really.

Era Vulgaris
    Great album, not their best imo, good to listen to, but nothin like their older stuff.

red_ice wrote: »
    QOTSA are by far the best band there is going atm. I've worshiped them since i heard queens of the stone age(my sig :]). I heard 'gamma ray' after i heard teh qotsa album and knew that was it.

If i was you i would get them in this order for the following reasons.

Lullabies To Paralyse
    Well rounded album, rocks hard yet very emotional. Catchy tunes, with a modern sound, yet in a way that only josh can produce.

Queens Of The Stone Age
    This album rocks sooo fking hard. Mexicola, Regular John, If only, you cant quit me baby.. Jesus that album is amazing. If you want a seriously hard rocking album, go for this

Rated R
    Real "stoner" type album imo with a nice cover or two in there. Check out in the fade, monsters in the parasol, better living through chemistry.. Amazing

Songs For The Deaf
    Its the staple qotsa diet that album. Amazing tracks, everyone knows it, not much to say really.

Era Vulgaris
    Great album, not their best imo, good to listen to, but nothin like their older stuff.

Oh how I wish I was into them back in the very early days. Oh no, I do be only a SFTD/LTP fan(mostly LTP I must admit). But from there, I just knew they'd be brilliant throughout. Love their varying sounds in albums, makes it interesting to see whats next. I still dont understand the LTP bashing, so many good songs on it. Prob over half the album too.

Still though, Better Living Through Chemistry is just too brilliant. Flawless song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Yep the first three albums are the best. I'd find it hard to pick my favourite of these. LTP is ok. Era Vulgaris is poor.
    I first got into them when I heard John Kelly playin songs off the first album on the Rock Show on Sunday nights. Then I was in the US when R was released, I listened to it for weeks non stop, and went to see them at Ozfest. They were on at 1.30pm for a half hour, which was a pity. Good stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Only a noob so didnt want to start a new thread..so thought this place most suitable for this.

Anyone else REALLY excited about them crooked vultures:D:D cannot wait for this tour!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Songs For The Deaf
    Give it a few listens straight through, great album...

The song 'The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret' from Rated R got me into them, but then I got SFTD and it blew me away
    Yes Songs for the Deaf most definitely. No-one knows probably one of the greatest "hard rock" singles written in past twenty years.

ttoppcat wrote: »
    Only a noob so didnt want to start a new thread..so thought this place most suitable for this.

Anyone else REALLY excited about them crooked vultures:D:D cannot wait for this tour!!

Ha, that is if they do a proper Europe tour that'll include Ireland. I don't see TCV being a permanent band, it'll be more a once-off album for now, then more over time. They'll be on-off, a lá Desert Sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Aw man don't say that..this would be one kick ass band to see live. I'm really hoping they squeeze an Irish date in somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

John wrote: »
    I listened to Lullabies to Paralyse last night for the second time ever (once when I bought it). I thought I must have missed something on the first time but no, listening to it again it is a woeful, woeful album. I don't know how this is the same band that did Rated R and Songs for the Deaf (OK, I know it's not the same band).
    Yes listened to half of songs for deaf again yesterday and again what a brilliant album. great thread.

Advertisement