Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play.com and VAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Amazon wont ship PS2 games to ireland is there any online retailers that ship from within Europe .Or am i stuck with Game and the like here .I have had some stuff stopped from Play and i need to get some stuff for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kali.mist

Folks,
    How lomg does it take to get the letters? Is there a number you can ring.
    I am waiting on some play orders since around the 15th :(

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭cianc1

Well i have sent a letter to eddie hobbs asking him to clear up the issue.....i hope for a reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Polbot

I have just received an order today from play.com valued at 68.99 Euro. I was worried that I would have to pay VAT after reading this thread, as I had ordered on 14/11/06 and there was no sign of the boxset, despite receiving books that I had ordered since. I suppose sometimes An Post are just slow. It doesn't seem like customs are stopping all play.com packages at least.

If you do not receive your package from play within 14 days you can mail their customer services department and they will refund your credit card. All they ask is that you return the item should you receive it later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

All they ask is that you return the item should you receive it later.
    I wonder how many people actually do that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

If the item comes from europe and vat is paid in that country then there should be no charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Does this affect any other sites? I've a couple of large orders from online retailers, non-jersey ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

FYI: Recieved game from Play Asia in Hong Kong today, value on package is $54.90.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭event

will www.blahdvd.com or www.movietyme.com be affected do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭samo

Blah are based in the channel islands so yes imagine same applies to them. Movietyme post their items from the UK so should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭event

well then ill be grand, just keep using movietyme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

does anyone want to tell me why it is then that on the play envelope it has "import vat pre-paid" and then an authorisation number??? i ordered dvds and it came to 36 euro. i got them yesterday and this was on the label. if the vat wasnt paid then why is on the label?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

subway wrote:
    looks like our governemt just wants to make sure we dont get anything cheap so now we pay the vat which more than likely covers the cost of the staff who check the packages.
    Exactly the way I see it. The funny thing is you will all vote them back into government in the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 colmod

To be fair, Play.com do have it in their terms and conditions, buyer beware...

http://www.play.com/HOME/HOME/6-/AboutUs.html?page=terms

If your delivery address is outside of Jersey, you may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once a shipment reaches your country. Any such additional charges for customs clearance must be borne by you. You should note that customs policies vary widely from country to country; Play.com advises each customer to contact their local customs office for further information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

from CDWOW terms and conditions. This is a bit more promising.
    Items over the UK HM Customs & Excise VAT Personal Import allowances
    Orders containing items over the UK Customs & Excise VAT personal import allowance are sent via Hong Kong Post, our postal agent.
    Hong Kong Post arranges the payment of VAT and or any other taxes and duties which may apply to UK H M Customs and Excise on your behalf FROM THE AMOUNT YOU HAVE ALREADY PAID. You will not be asked to pay any additional sums upon delivery / collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Pretty bad news, although thankfully most stuff I've ordered online is below €22. But I did get a €45 delivery from Play last week and a €55 from Play today without any of this trouble. Seems I got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

djkeogh wrote:
    from CDWOW terms and conditions. This is a bit more promising.

I think the problem is that both Play and CDWOW are passing on VAT to the **UK revenue** but NOT to Irish revenue ie when they post to UK addresses they send VAT to UK Revneue but when they ship to Ireland they pocket the lot.I had a demand for a Play parcel and when i rang up the customs person said they want Play to come to the same agreement with them as they have with the UK.I think it is Play that need to get it sorted and "Play" fair with its Irish customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    I ordered The Beatles Live At The BBC from Play. The cost was €25.99 and the package was posted 8 days ago. Still no sign of it or a letter demanding the VAT.

Package arrived today. No demand for VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭berengar

so has joe duffy talked about this at all on his show ??

No, someone needs to ring him. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Got a delivery from Amazon.com today, stung €35 for VAT ..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭samo

Paddy@CIRL wrote:
    Got a delivery from Amazon.com today, stung €35 for VAT ..... :(

ouch - not nice. :(

Definitly making me more aware of sourcing customs friendly suppliers from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭ondafly

/scare-monger on
    Just because your package has arrived - does not mean you won't get a letter at some stage, stating you owe Tax. This has happened to me with car parts, so I assume the same can happen with a €23+ CD/DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

terrible terrible terrible. so how doà we actually know that stuff under 22 euro will be alright? and is there any official publication from the customs office, like any newspaper article or anything?
    I'm gonna cry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Sendit.com ship all their Euro currency orders from the UK so that may be worth noting. I ordered a package from them Monday afternoon and it arrived yesterday morning, best delivery time I've ever had when ordering online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

/edit should read thread before posting :rolleyes: order is below €22 so should be ok.

Does this effect other places like 7dayshop.com who post from Jersey as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Jip wrote:
    Sendit.com ship all their Euro currency orders from the UK so that may be worth noting. I ordered a package from them Monday afternoon and it arrived yesterday morning, best delivery time I've ever had when ordering online.

it says at the bottom of their site that they're in Jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

what If I buy bond films 2 for 1, each one is 18euro. will they be shipped seperately and say 18euro on each and get through no problem

Correct.

When I got my free DVD from play it was sent with a value of €0.00 on it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Sounds like play & co will lose a lot of the irish market. I see there people got a free dvd. How about this for a possible solution?

DVD box set €42
    When you buy it play.com send it out marked €21.50 & send out a second package with a cheap/crap dvd for €21.50

Total price you pay is €42 & get your box dvd without paying VAT etc & play get to keep their Irish customers, too much hassle or could it work??
    Obviously buying larger items wont be more hassle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement