Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Condom...

Options
  • 19-11-2006 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello there,
    I wus having sex with my gf d other nite. When I put the condom on it broke(ripped) half way down the penis but I didnt have any spare ones so I just used it anyway. The top was still perfect but it was ripped at the side. After I came (inside her) I pulled it out and most cum was trapped in the top of the condom. I told my gf what happened and she said she would get a pill. I havnt really stopped thinking about it since, worrying that she might be pregnant. Is a side rip really a big deal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

There is a good chance that the cum would have travelled down the side of the condom so I would deal with that, get your girlfriend to get a pregnancy test and be more careful in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭claire-g

If ur girlfriend isnt on the pill or if ye were not using any other form of contraception it is a possibility that she mite become pregnant......your girlfriend can take the morning after pill for up to 72 hours afterward and its quite effective (tho not 100%).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Get the morning after pill within 72 hours if you are worried about pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 CharLit

Agree with other posters: never, ever use a ripped condom! If the pill your girlfriend was going to get was a morning after pill, you'll be fine, but don't take this kind of risk again. You can still have fun without having full sex if you don't have any condoms handy.

Edit: It's not clear from your post when you told your girlfriend what had happened: if it was after the deed, it seems rather unfair: you should have given her a say in whether or not to take this risk, since SHE's the one who will get pregnant if it goes wrong.

Maybe your girlfriend should go on birth control pills or get an implant or shots to help prevent these kinds of scares?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

that's like one of the urban legend horror stories you hear like people thinking girls can't get pregnant if you have sex standing up.

never ever ever used a ripped condom. i can't believe this even needs saying. definitely get the morning after pill immediately and of course a pregnancy test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

that's like one of the urban legend horror stories you hear like people thinking girls can't get pregnant if you have sex standing up.
    Not to mention the "first time's a freebie" myth!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

basquille wrote:
    Not to mention the "first time's a freebie" myth!

Personal experience? lol

Sorry.

On a more serious note, what were you thinking? If it's ripped, it's ripped.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

You may both want to look into STI tests to be on the safe side unless you're both very sure that neither of you is infected with anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

CharLit wrote:
    Agree with other posters: never, ever use a ripped condom! If the pill your girlfriend was going to get was a morning after pill, you'll be fine, but don't take this kind of risk again. You can still have fun without having full sex if you don't have any condoms handy.

Edit: It's not clear from your post when you told your girlfriend what had happened: if it was after the deed, it seems rather unfair: you should have given her a say in whether or not to take this risk, since SHE's the one who will get pregnant if it goes wrong.

Maybe your girlfriend should go on birth control pills or get an implant or shots to help pervent these kinds of scares?
    OP wrote:
    I told my gf what happened and she said she would get a pill

He did tell her

Also, OP, don't use a torn condom! Try to restrain yourself next time.

Hope your gf got the MAP in time, don't forget to get her to take a test too. Good luck, and learn from your mistakes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 CharLit

rugbug86 wrote:
    He did tell her

I know he told her, but from the post it kind of sounds like he told her AFTER they had sex, when he knew the condom was ripped before they started.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭claire-g

CharLit wrote:
    I know he told her, but from the post it kind of sounds like he told her AFTER they had sex, when he knew the condom was ripped before they started.

Ya thats what i thought too and i agree that if this is the case its unfair, she should have been informed and could have made an informed decision as to have unprotected sex!!! She may have been able to tell you that it wasnt a gud idea to carry on......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Hello there,
    When I put the condom on it broke(ripped) half way down the penis but I didnt have any spare ones so I just used it anyway.Is a side rip really a big deal?

No, the side rip isnt a big deal, but the fact that you continued on anyway is. Im sorry if this spoils your fun, but next time, just stop and try and to avoid penetration. You can have oral or anal sex, get a handjob or a blowjob, finger her, whatever, but you just shouldnt risk it for your own good.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

You deserve to spend your time worrying! How would you feel if your girlfriend was pregnant knowing that you could have prevented it from happening? You can't have much respect for her to put her in this situation. Have you really so little self-control? A side rip could easily have turned into the whole thing coming off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Jesus man that's a ****ty thing to do to your gf, why the hell didn't you tell her before actually having sex???

Also, i'd be more concerned about the fact that the condom broke so easily, maybe there were other faults with it also that you didn't notice.

Maybe stop and think next time??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

You deserve to spend your time worrying! How would you feel if your girlfriend was pregnant knowing that you could have prevented it from happening? You can't have much respect for her to put her in this situation. Have you really so little self-control? A side rip could easily have turned into the whole thing coming off!

my thoughts exactly

surly if there was a rip in it, any stretching of the rubber near the rip will cause the rip to grow so the whole thing should have split and fallen off as soon as the rip occured, like a baloon bursting

think this...no actually hope this is a troll, if not he is a very untrustworthy lover

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No, the side rip isnt a big deal,..

WTF? Worst advice ever.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 81,915 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Was she really not worth the wait, for you to run into any random Pub/Hotel and operate the Bathroom vending machine? You complete tool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Overheal wrote:
    Was she really not worth the wait, for you to run into any random Pub/Hotel and operate the Bathroom vending machine? You complete tool!

What a pompous self rightous shower the responders to this thread have been. Condoms split, its a fact of life and carrying on when you know one is split is likely to get you the title 'daddy'. The guy's girlfriend clearly has the situation under control.

Oh, and a general point, how many times has a decison on when to become a father been taken away from a man by a woman not telling him she is not using contraceptive (all those wee accidents).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Carrigart Exile, unhelpful and off-topic posting will get you banned from this forum.
    Do take time to read the charter which contains the rules and abide by them.
    Have a nice day.
    Thaedydal

esel wrote:
    WTF? Worst advice ever.

I only meant the side rip isnt a big deal in comparison to the fact he didnt tell his girlfriend it was broke, and it depends where on the side it was ripped, if it was near the top then its not the worst thing that could happen but it is a bad thing that he used a condom that was broken and didnt tell his gf until afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

If it was ripped near the top then the rip could still have grown, and the rip itself is a sign that maybe the latex wasn't in good condition.

It's quite simple. Condoms work by providing a physical barrier so as to prevent sperm getting anywhere near the ovum and germs from passing from one partner to the other. They are not anti-fertility charms and do not work by magic. If its ripped you bin it.

Talliesin wrote:
    If it was ripped near the top then the rip could still have grown, and the rip itself is a sign that maybe the latex wasn't in good condition. If its ripped you bin it.

Good advice, personally I always have, but it seems the OP did not and that was his first mistake while his second was having no respect for his girlfriend to inform her of his decision to engage in sexual relations.

I would actually dread to see what would have happened if it had 'slipped your mind' in all the excitement and you neglected to tell her afterwards, thus getting her preganant. Jesus, that would have been horrible beyond belief

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

it does seem like he did not tell her until afterwards... not very wise at all; she should have known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Thaedydal wrote:
    Carrigart Exile, unhelpful and off-topic posting will get you banned from this forum.
    Do take time to read the charter which contains the rules and abide by them.
    Have a nice day.
    Thaedydal

It wasn't off topic nor was it unhelpful; over moderation is however. The young lad was getting it in the neck from all and sundry and all I was pointing out the number of people who seem to be taking a lofty view of the lad. Yes he acted stupidly, but who hasn't at his age and in that situation.

Yes he acted stupidly, but who hasn't at his age and in that situation.

I havent, I have shown restraint, and NEVER used a broken condom. Especially when the girl I wanted to have sex with wasnt on the pill. On the one occassion she was, I still went to the shops when I had no condoms, because there was a still a chance the pill would fail (she'd had a cold)

I feel that warrants repeating, I havent, I have shown restraint, and NEVER used a broken condom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Questionsoflife

Im not going to defend myself here because Im after completely accepting responsibility for what was the stupidist thing Ive ever done in my life. Just to inform everyone, even though this is absolutely no excuse, I was a virgin and I extremely wanted to break my viriginity. Another reason was she wasnt a virgin and I was, but she thought otherwise because I was too embaressed to admit it. She wanted the lights off and that made it alot harder to monitor what was going on. I was greedy, decieving, completely irresponsible and stupid and I cant believe I let myself do it. Words cant describe how down and paniced Ive been feeling lately about it and all Ive been trying to do is make her feel happy 24/7 now I know how badly I disrespected her. Although this might sound the biggest hypocritical statement but I really am an honest guy and the one thing I cannot deal with is the feelings of guilt and shame. If anybody is wondering yes, the thought of her becoming pregnant and me being the knowing cause of it sends me into deep despair, and shivers down my spine. It has been crossing my mind lately about telling her, I know she would probabily dump me, but id deserve it for being such a greedy stupid pig. About the rip, it was a small enough rip to start with but I think what scared me most was I think I saw it had widened a lil when I took it off. I seriously believe there would have been a good chance some escaped the condom. I simply paniced and flushed it away. My gf said she went to the doctor today (within 24 hours) and got a pill and everythings sorted. She siad theres no chance of becoming pregnant. Can anybody explain the probabilities of becoming pregnant using this pill? Im sure there is still a chance. Is it simply a matter that hopefully a sperm hasnt reached the egg yet? Somebody made a comment about running into a pub or hotel quickly to get condoms because I cudnt wait - well actually thats what did happen, I bought my condoms for €5 out of a vending machine-how many frowns will I see now? :( . They looked safe made by durex and labelled "extra safe". Are these condoms notoriously bad or wot? I know you might laugh at that but personally I thought youd get the same kinda ones in a chemist. If anyone asks me what happened to the other two out of the pack I tried one on before alone recently before having sex and it tore hugely then also (thats because I really tugged it on), and a friend asked me for a lend of the other. I think that was the main cause that made me rip the condom when I put it on before sex, tugging it on rather than rolling it on very slowly. I asked her to is she going to take a pregnancy test, and she said no, theres no point. Im positive that very recently (4/5 days) before we had sex she had her period so is that a good or a bad thing? Do you think I should convince her to take a pregnancy test and when can you take it? I havnt told her this yet I know I will not have sex now until she is absolutely sure she isnt pregnant which is at least a month right? I simply wont able to enjoy it. I want to enjoy having SAFE sex with her and although you people might hate me for disrespecting her so much Its been a reality check for me and Ive really been looking into the reasons why I put her (or why I would anyone) in the position I put her in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Questionsoflife

BTW the point I Im getting at by saying I was a virgin and she wasnt is that she wasnt is that if I had disclosed I was a virgin we would have surely taken it slowly and carefully but instead we ended up having really really full on sex in the dark.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If she took the MAP within 24 hours, she only has about a 1% chance of getting pregnant. She should probably still take a pregnancy test though.

My gf said she went to the doctor today (within 24 hours) and got a pill and everythings sorted. She said theres no chance of becoming pregnant. Can anybody explain the probabilities of becoming pregnant using this pill?

The pill is, if used correctly, 99% efficent against pregnancy. Im not 100% sure how it works, but do know its very very good, prob the best contraceptive you can get. But as for the morning after pill, this works in much the same way, only that it flushes out the system and doesnt allow the egg to stick to the lining of the womb I believe. She should be safe.
    Im sure there is still a chance. Is it simply a matter that hopefully a sperm hasnt reached the egg yet?

No, although you become pregnant in the 72 hours following sex, the chances of your sperm reaching her egg would be extremely - even if she hadnt taken the pill - and the fact that she has makes it a virtual impossibility now
    Somebody made a comment about running into a pub or hotel quickly to get condoms because I cudnt wait - well actually thats what did happen, I bought my condoms for €5 out of a vending machine-how many frowns will I see now? :(

:( Actually, to be honest, you did right on this one. Although, if you had a choice, you should have chosen the chemist over the vending machine. Which machine was it actually? Pub machines are notorious for condoms being left for months.
    They looked safe made by durex and labelled "extra safe". Are these condoms notoriously bad or wot?

I use them myself, and theyve never let me down, but as ive said above you may have just gotten a packet that were either expired or in the wrong conditions for months and months. Extra Safe are actually supposed to be stronger then most condoms so the fact they did break makes me think they were expired.
    I know you might laugh at that but personally I thought youd get the same kinda ones in a chemist.

You would. I have, so im not laughing, and Ribbed and Flavoured are also good brands two btw:D

I
    f anyone asks me what happened to the other two out of the pack I tried one on before alone recently before having sex and it tore hugely then also (thats because I really tugged it on),

You should obviously bought the packet a little while before sex, i mean, you had time to try one and then give another to a friend. Once the first one broke I would have binned the other two. Despite how hard u pull the condom, it shouldnt really rip, unless you didnt put it on properly
    and a friend asked me for a lend of the other.

Id get it back from him, before he uses it, cause its prob dodgy too
    I think that was the main cause that made me rip the condom when I put it on before sex, tugging it on rather than rolling it on very slowly.

More then likely
    I asked her to is she going to take a pregnancy test, and she said no, theres no point.

theres no real point
    Do you think I should convince her to take a pregnancy test and when can you take it?

not unless you reckon you have super sperm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Everyone on this thread that has gone on their high horse over this guy making a mistake, maybe you should get the hell off it right now. He made a mistake.

He didn't know it was a problem that it was ripped, if a woman came on and said ...

I was on anti-biotics and i'm on the pill ... i had sex .. is there a chance i'm pregnant ?

Would you say ... "You big idiot !! You should have told your boyfriend.. blah blah blah" Mother of god .. the lad came on here looking for advice and all you assclowns can do is slate him ?

He came here asking because he wasnt sure .. if he wasn't sure now .. do you think he was sure of what to do at the time ? Maybe he didnt want to blow it.

Seriously, think about it, if you werent educated on the subject and didnt know, what would you do ?

I'll put it this way ? Do you know what pressure the tyres in your car should be ... NO then your a total f*cking idiot. stop driving your going to murder someone with your wrecklessness.

Bit of a rant .. but i cant get this across any other way :)

Advertisement