Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freakonomics

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I read it and thought it was poorly written bird cage lining.

Did it not annoy the crap out of anyone else that the quotes at the start of every chapter telling us how great he is all come from the same article?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

i love this book its great

My thoughts on the book are well known - I didn't like it.

What annoys me is that people read and think they now have a clear cut insight into the work which is done by economists, I mean you don't read the bible and then claim to be a theologian...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

My thoughts on the book are well known - I didn't like it.

What annoys me is that people read and think they now have a clear cut insight into the work which is done by economists, I mean you don't read the bible and then claim to be a theologian...

That particularly annoys me.

What, my post? Or the fact that people think reading Freakonomics is equivalant to a BA in Economics?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

What, my post? Or the fact that people think reading Freakonomics is equivalant to a BA in Economics?

The latter, I have a friend who has delved into such books, and then talks about economics as if he is an expert. You know what they say about a little knowledge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

the fact that people think reading Freakonomics is equivalant to a BA in Economics?
    That was funny. Everyone seems to be an armchair economist today, or have an opinion on why our economy is "in the sh*t" just because they listen to someone like David McWilliams.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    That was funny. Everyone seems to be an armchair economist today, or have an opinion on why our economy is "in the sh*t" just because they listen to someone like David McWilliams.

I'd say they have opinions because financial news has left the pink pages, David McWilliams was only responding to an existing demand so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

i only got to the 3rd or 4th chapter of it.

entertaining but agree with the some of the other posters, it should be taken with a pinch of salt.

the idea of it is great though i must say..

used to read it on my breaks in this bar i worked in until someone robbed it one day:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DiscoHugh

As others have said it can be quite entertaining but is really just a lighthearted way of showing how an economic mind might view things in the world.

For those looking for a basic, digestable introduction to economics, I'd reccommend "the undercover economist". Ive only read the first few chapters but it deals with what I guess you'd call more typical economic matters. I'd compare it to the leaving cert economic course...just without the graphs :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

DiscoHugh wrote: »
    As others have said it can be quite entertaining but is really just a lighthearted way of showing how an economic mind might view things in the world.

For those looking for a basic, digestable introduction to economics, I'd reccommend "the undercover economist". Ive only read the first few chapters but it deals with what I guess you'd call more typical economic matters. I'd compare it to the leaving cert economic course...just without the graphs :D
    In fairness the L-C course is more technical than 'The Undercover Economist' ;)

If you like Tim Harford's book you should buy his second book, 'The Logic of Life'. There's some funny chapters like, why black males can go without getting married (scarcity) and rational racism.

Advertisement