Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCLA Student gets tazered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

poor guy, thats not nice to watch.

The students who were interviewed in the report don't seem the brightest...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Shocking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

What a sick abuse of their powers, at least the whole ordeal was caught on camera and there were plenty of witnesses about.

Not a nice watch at all, can imagine how difficult it would have been to stand there watching the poor guy getting abused like that and not being able to do anything.

Unbelivable how they give these potentially lethal weapons to retards who don't even know their capabilities, then again, it is America.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

tbh he deserves the tazing for screaming his head off at the start, what a drama queen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What a wuss......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I HAVE A MEDICAL CONDITION.......lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Thats highly disturbing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Goldfinger

Bambi wrote:
    tbh he deserves the tazing for screaming his head off at the start, what a drama queen.
    From what I can tell he's screaming at the start of the tape because they're tazing him....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

you gotta love the yanks,so gun-ho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

That's ****ing terrible. They might as well have broken out the tear gas ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Seems excessive all right.

But which part of "stand up, stand up, stand up, stand up, stand up, stand up, stand up, stand up, stand up, stand up, stand up, stand up" didn't he get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

biko wrote:
    But which part of "stand up, stand up, stand up, stand up, stand up, stand up, stand up, stand up, stand up, stand up, stand up, stand up" didn't he get?

The electrical discharge of a tazer disrupts your motor functions, he physically wouldn't be able to stand up. The gob****e with the tazer should know that they're used to imobilize people. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I couldnt see your man who was getting but going by his
    Mostafa Tabatabainejad he was of middel east origin and looks like he was singelled out. Pricks!

How long does it take to recover from something like that? After to first shock his voice seemed like nothing happened but after the second one you could hear in his voice that he was struggeling.

I wonder what will happen to the "cops" if anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

In Soviet Russia, Police Attack You!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

In fairness we didn't see the beginning of the incident but looking at that it does look like a gross mishandling of the situation by the police. They repeatedly ordered him to stand up or he'd be tazered and in the end you can see two cops just carried him off anyway.
    Why insist he stand up and when he couldn't tazer him repeatedly only to carry him away in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah, the American tax dollars at work. "Assume everyone's a terrorist until they kill themselves in the line of duty". Has vague similarities to Salem...

A bunch of students should have jumped the two guys, "peace officers" or otherwise, or at the very least attempted to remove the tasers from their hands. If they were the type of tasers which shoot the bolts (as opposed to the type you press against someone), then there's no way the officers could have turned around and use them on anyone, as they have arrowhead spikes which specifically embed and latch onto the skin.

There's no such thing as a non-lethal weapon, any any weapon should be the very last line of defence. If they had to drag him out of there by his ankles, it would have been a more appropriate response.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

America tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Stand Up For Fu€k$ Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Stand Up For Fu€k$ Sake
    Shall we taser you and ask you to stand up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Shall we taser you and ask you to stand up?

You would'nt reach me from there.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

seamus wrote:
    A bunch of students should have jumped the two guys, "peace officers" or otherwise, or at the very least attempted to remove the tasers from their hands.

That probably would have escalated the situation and given the officers reason for assault, I think they were doing enough by asking the guards to stop and by asking for the officers badge (which was ironically meet by "back off or you will get tazed).
    Seamus wrote:
    If they were the type of tasers which shoot the bolts (as opposed to the type you press against someone), then there's no way the officers could have turned around and use them on anyone, as they have arrowhead spikes which specifically embed and latch onto the skin.
    Article wrote:
    The officers used the "drive stun" setting in the Taser, which delivers a shock to a specific part of the body with the front of the Taser, Young said.
    eo980 wrote:
    In fairness we didn't see the beginning of the incident but looking at that it does look like a gross mishandling of the situation by the police.

Exactly, it's hard to judge exactly how "mishandled" the situation was when we don't see how it began. I doubt he said "OK, I will leave" and then they just started tazing him. The report say's he was leaving, then a guard took him by the arm, he shouted, cue escalation. Certainly an abuse of power by the end of the footage.
    biko wrote:
    Article wrote:
    But according to a study published in the Lancet Medical Journal in 2001, a charge of three to five seconds can result in immobilization for five to 15 minutes, which would mean that Tabatabainejad could have been physically unable to stand when the officers demanded that he do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

biko wrote:
    Seems excessive all right.

Proberly the part that a 3 second shock will disable you for moving for up to 15 minutes...!

Hope the rent-a-cops get sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, I guess you're tired after repeated muscle spasms. I wonder if these sec guys ever was tasered themselves. Some cops do it to see what it's like for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭pvt. joker

Let's clarify a few things:

#1: the "student" did not have an ID card. It's policy that you need ID to be in the library after hours. Student workers called campus police (who have the same authority as the LAPD)

#2: standard police tactics include first using verbal commands. If person does not respond, you up the level to pain compliance (taser, mace, pepper spray). This kid was asked to get up more than a few times, he refused and was tased.

#3: Tasing stuns you momentarily. It does not paralyze you. There's videos on youtube of police officers getting tased (in order to use a taser you have to be tased yourself). It's a split second jolt to knock you down. It's not pleasant for the millisecond, but it does not last past that time.

#4: the suspect was verbally and physically combative. The police tried to reason with him, he refused multiple times and was tased. I forwarded the video to 3 friends who are police officers and all three agreed that's the same thing that they would have done and it's what they're taught to do. Especially when dealing with a combative person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

pvt. joker wrote:
    Let's clarify a few things:

#1: the "student" did not have an ID card. It's policy that you need ID to be in the library after hours. Student workers called campus police (who have the same authority as the LAPD)

#2: standard police tactics include first using verbal commands. If person does not respond, you up the level to pain compliance (taser, mace, pepper spray). This kid was asked to get up more than a few times, he refused and was tased.

#3: Tasing stuns you momentarily. It does not paralyze you. There's videos on youtube of police officers getting tased (in order to use a taser you have to be tased yourself). It's a split second jolt to knock you down. It's not pleasant for the millisecond, but it does not last past that time.

#4: the suspect was verbally and physically combative. The police tried to reason with him, he refused multiple times and was tased. I forwarded the video to 3 friends who are police officers and all three agreed that's the same thing that they would have done and it's what they're taught to do. Especially when dealing with a combative person.
    Sounds like youre garda friends are just appeasing you. Police are dealing with kids like this every second of the day, and there is a correct way of approaching it. If you don't see whats wrong with the actions of the police in this video then you need to educate yourself better.

Illkillya wrote:
    Sounds like youre garda friends are just appeasing you. Police are dealing with kids like this every second of the day, and there is a correct way of approaching it. If you don't see whats wrong with the actions of the police in this video then you need to educate yourself better.
    Agree 100%.

Oh, and his friends aren't Gardaí...they're American Cops...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

rb_ie wrote:
    Agree 100%.

Oh, and his friends aren't Gardaí...they're American Cops...
    That explains it :)

Illkillya wrote:

he was trespassing and refused to either produce proper ID or leave. he wasn't walking out as people have described. he was refusing to leave, becoming vocal and beligerent. it's police academy 101 and escalation of authority

pvt. joker wrote:
    he wasn't walking out as people have described.

Oh you were there were you? I think I'll believe the witnesses for now, thanks.

• Advertisement

rb_ie wrote:
    Oh you were there were you? I think I'll believe the witnesses for now, thanks.

there's multiple blogs out there right now that say he was never walking towards the door. with the amount of bull**** the cops go through today with assinine lawsuits they're not going to tase someone calmly walking towards the door. This is how internet falacies are born.

He could have said "gee, i don't have an id i left it at home" and got up and left like any average person would do. he didn't, instead he chose to be a rebel and got tased for it. Now all of the sudden the US is a "police state". This whole ****ing thing is laughable

Advertisement