Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olé, Olé, Olé Chants...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Originally Posted by monkeyfudge
    It would be great if they'd stop applauding when an airplane lands sucessfully as well

It would also be great if people stopped shouting" hey baby where the free birds fly" and " IRA" during the fields of Athenry, used to be great to get the nerves tingling at a Match but its abit cringe these days......

Havent heard people clapping the landing of a plane in years although one guy attempted it last week...nobody joined in

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ole Ole thing - Can't stand this either. I remember Italia 90 and liked it then, but that was a long time agi now. Move on ffs.

Clapping at a plane landing. Has happened about twice ever on the 100+ flights I have been on.

Clapping in the cinema - Only heard that at a movie I was at in the states.

Fields of Athenry thing - For some reason I thought this was cool 10 years ago in the college night club at the end of the night. I think it is ridiculous and shameful now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Yeah I really hate when a crowd tries to create a bit of an atmosphere for themselves. FFS why cant people just sit/stand in silence and watch the show.

If we were to go by the rational that its a spanish song then we could say the same about Munster Rugby fans singing a song about a place in Connaught. Its just tradition. Its something that people enjoy doing. If someone gets a little kick out of a collective ole ole ole or a bash of the fields then let them. If you dont get a kick out of it then dont join in.

As for the airplane / cinema thing that really gets on my manboobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

i think you'll find the olé olé olé chants and the "oh baby let the free birds fly" IRA chants during the fields are generally performed by the same bunch of rednecks at every venue, most having they're origins from counties cavan,leitrim,mayo or meath. course thats a huge generilisation but its my experience.(as a roscommon man i cant claim to be exactly metropolitan :D )
    i actually brought this subject up in a post about metallica on monday on the rock boards and nobody passed any heed on it so maybe it dosent irk all the concert goers!!

the stupidest/disgustingest thing iv ever heard was an idiot who shoute "up the ira" during a minutes silence for the a bombings victim at a gaa match, forgive me for not knowing who roscommon were playing that day and am unsure which side this idiot claimed to be from as i wasnt in striking distance of him that day.luckily for him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Olé, olé, olé olé and 'free birds fly' = drunken fools imo, gucci as a Dub I can tell you it happens in Dublin too, where've you been?
    is_that_so wrote:
    Germans clap all the time.

Hmm, recently flew into Berlin and out again the same day on a business trip and nobody clapped for landing. The people beside me were suspiciously German looking too, all shifty and German-like! :D

I've only ever been on one flight where people clapped and that was flying from Tampa to Atlanta during a bad storm and yes, it was mostly the US folk who were clapping including two or three chanting "USA, USA, USA!" :rolleyes:

I've been on at least 100 Ryanair flights and have yet to hear any muppet clapping :)

Clapping at the cinema, I went to see Schindlers list twice when it came out, the first time everyone left in dead silence, the second time, people stood and applauded :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

How did this turn into a thread about clapping on planes ;)

I don't disagree with it, I just dont get it and like the majority of people its cringe stuff....can't we just stick to what we're good at and get locked and start fights...less of the tacky chants ;)

Advertisement