Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olé, Olé, Olé Chants...

Options
  • 14-11-2006 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Just listening to an outdoor gig I went to there in the summer and stopped to think why the fcuk do we Irish people sing fcuking Olé, Olé at every half baked opportunity in a crowd gathering of more than a few thousand people :confused:

Yes, it was the national anthem at Italia '90 and was cool...then, but why the fcuk are we still singing it, arrrggghhh !

I'd imagine most bands / teams that play here are totally confused :o

Answers on a postcard ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I think it's pathetic to be honest. It's a spanish mantra (if I could call it that) and I think it's time we moved on. I cringe everytime I hear it at EVERY event that involves an Irish person.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It would be great if they'd stop applauding when an airplane lands sucessfully as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

always wondered why people applaud for the landing of an airplane

wish someone applauded me when i finished work

Mossy Monk wrote:
    wish someone applauded me when i finished work
    I'm about to leave the office for the day now, feel free to give me a bit of a clap for not crashing the building where I work into the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It would be great if they'd stop applauding when an airplane lands sucessfully as well.
    Haven't heard that in a long time now, tbh :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

Dont think ive ever not been on a plane when people havent clapped.What grinds my gears is when people clap after the cinema.Grrrrr.

But yeah the ole ole ole really get on my nerves too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i have never heard anyone clap, but I've only flown 14-15 times in my life. I dunno, wouldn't bother me all that much... I'm usually grateful to the pilot for landing the plane safely and without incident.

It's all the muppets sitting on the plane with me who take a half hour to disembark that annoy me.

actually, when did deplaning become the term to be used? never heard it before in my life, and then it was used on every one of my flights this autumn.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

maxi-twist wrote:
    Dont think ive ever not been on a plane when people havent clapped.What grinds my gears is when people clap after the cinema.Grrrrr.

But yeah the ole ole ole really get on my nerves too!

I love when people clap in the cinema. Only happened twice though.

And apparently airline staff/crew really like it when people clap! (Though I'm sure Aer Lingus/Ryanair are sick of it :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 33,111 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Peteee wrote:
    I love when people clap in the cinema. Only happened twice though.

Some bloke
    stood up for the Kazah national anthem
    at the end of the Borat Film. Someone else threw a crucnhed up popcorn bucket at them. :D
    (Not a serious spoiler, I know - nothing to do with the plot - but playign it safe)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Germans clap all the time.

• Advertisement

I don't like clapping in the cinema either... the only person who you could possibly be congratulating is the projectionist... and he's probably a computer these days anyway.

Although if the director or cast are present it makes sense to applaud. Actually I was recently at a screening in the IFI and the director was present so I figured I'd be able to legitimately clap at the end of the film... but the film was sh*te so I sat there with my arms folded as the credits rolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Mordeth wrote:
    actually, when did deplaning become the term to be used? never heard it before in my life, and then it was used on every one of my flights this autumn.

Fling to/from the USA or Canada by any chance? I've only ever heard Americans use this term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Mossy Monk wrote:
    always wondered why people applaud for the landing of an airplane

It was usually an Aeroflot thing as it was a major acheivement to get there in one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Stephen wrote:
    Fling to/from the USA or Canada by any chance? I've only ever heard Americans use this term.

Yeah I've flown a bit and only heard it on a Canadian airline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

The Irish soccer fans sing a spanish song to british players on an Irish team.

Yep... 'deplaning' is a stupid term... it should really be 'unplaning'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What next? debussing? decaring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I always try to get that going :D hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Bond-007 wrote:
    What next? debussing? decaring?
    Decarring made me laugh until I had to wipe away tears. Just in cae you care.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I think its great cos it brings back the memories of italia 90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

imagine being called Ole.........put up with that !!..........Love it though....Fathers name, my name and my sons name.....and hopefully his sons name also !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I remember on a school trip to England the lads at the back started shouting and applauding "Funcking best flight of my life." Fake tears and every thing very funny but I remember on a normal flight and they started applauding I just looked at my mate with shock like this :eek: "what are they doing".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

The other night I was getting the bus into town, and a drunken bunch of culchie bints from college were on the bus (probably for the first time), and sang ole ole for most of the jouney. Yep, they were just that excited to be in the big smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

Tthe big smoke.

please please, it's pronounced "shmolk".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Just My View

I've no problem with that as long as everyone boos loudly if they crash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Sizzler wrote:
    why the fcuk do we Irish people sing fcuking Olé, Olé at every half baked opportunity in a crowd gathering of more than a few thousand people
    There's a lot of bull?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The same reason they shout Whiskey in the Jar, they are idiots. It's so annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've no problem with that as long as everyone boos loudly if they crash.
    aye, gotta have consistency

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I advise all those who have gripes with people doing things to not go out in public any more.

FFS get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

If we were to dump the 'Ole Ole Ole' tomorrow... what would the new chant be?

Suggestions on a postcard.

eg. Gwan te fcuk, Gwan te fcuk, Gwan te fcuk!! :confused:

I think we should keep it, it makes us seem interesting and more 'European' :D

As for clapping.. I remember loads of people clapping after Jackass in screen one in the Savoy. There wasn't enough M&Ms available to fire at these people's heads :(

You can be sure I feckin clapped after landing in Lanzarotte!! I could see the sea bed as we were coming in to touch down, thought we were gonners for sure. Fair play to the aul captain for doing the job! Death would have been crap :o

Advertisement