Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying fags and drink online?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

thrill wrote:
    There doesn't seem to be anything about limits that i can see.
    The underground cig market will be hit alright though. Theres no way they could compete with this new ruling.

Or maybe they will benefit greatly by legally importing vast quantities of cigarettes (which can't be seized like their current shipments) and selling them a la Moore Street to people who don't use the internet.

Edit: I realise that importing them won't be legal if they intend to sell them, but it will be harder to prove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Dreamer 7 wrote:
    On the continent the sell john player black, gold and red. Black are red are quite tolerable!

Ah, JP Specials (black), now there's a proper smoke...

*fights craving*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

The judgement is due on the 23rd November. It will be up on http://curia.eu.int. After a year of studying EU Law finally they're doing something useful for us :D

It could still fall through but the Advocate General believes that the tax should be levied in country of origin, i.e cheap smokes and booze for all. Historically, the AG's opinion is followed in 80% of cases.

So the chances are good come on the 23rd!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

God I hope not. The tax at the moment at least in some way helps to pay for the cancer and heart disease treatments you drug addicts will be demanding in a few decades time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

The EU are working "tirelessly" to level prices accross the Union. Eventually it won't be cheaper.

Anyway, much in the same as with what would happen if VRT was made illegeal by the European Parliment (on the way) the Government will be waiting with another scheme to recoup lost revenue. They are, and always will be crafty enough to stay one step ahead of the poor aul punter!!
    People of Ireland, we will never win!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

thrill wrote:
    There doesn't seem to be anything about limits that i can see.
    There are limits but they are pretty high. You can go past them but must prove it to customs, i.e. you are holding a wedding party. I think spirits is 10 litres, not sure on smokes. wine is more again.
    The limits were large though, you would not really want to buy more for personal use in one go.

Tax will be raised on other stuff so it is a sort of benefit if you are a heavy drinker and smoker.

There are a few websites already selling duty free stuff, it is liable for duty but it is sent in small amounts so customs dont bother, probably costs more on administration to collect the money, than the money involved. I have gotten lots of booze online for less than 1/2 price, including the postage. Look on google for duty free online.

I can see far more resturaunts offering a corkage service, I am surprised at the lack of them taking up this loophole. You could have a normal pub claiming to be a resturaunt, serving pub grub at extortionate prices with free corkage, set a minimum order quantity and a set sitting time. pub owner and punters both are better off.

If Ireland set its duty very low then other countries would buy from us. In the end the country with combined low postal costs and duty will see huge benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/?jp=CWIDGBCWQLAU

So much for that.
    Nothing changes there.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Kilkenny

kippy wrote:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/?jp=CWIDGBCWQLAU

So much for that.
    Nothing changes there.
    Kippy

Guessed as much! These days, smokers seem to be every bureaucrats number 1 enemy.

By the way, I was told a few years ago by a customs guy in Dublin airport that you were theoretically allowed to bring in any amount PROVIDED you could prove it was for personal use ... that in practice, however, Customs would generally assume that up to about 2,500 / 3,000 cigs per person was for personal use, and would start asking questions after that, and would press harder the more you were trying to bring in.

The catch being how do you PROVE that you're not going to sell on the cigs if you have a big amount, I guess ...

(Please note that the reply quoted is several years old, and from just after the rules were changed, so he didn't even seem that sure of it himself ... can't say if anything has changed since)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

you could just open all the boxes and take one cig out, that way they cant be for resale! and then go sellin 19 boxes :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I wonder if it's still possible to get them cheap before the law is actually applied in ernest?

http://www.lowpricecigarettes.com still have 200 Benson for €35 including VAT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement