Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying fags and drink online?

Options
  • 13-11-2006 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Did anyone watch news?

You can buy cigs and drinks online next week you only have to the vat in there country not his country.

So does this mean we could buy 200 smokes for say €20?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Well it said you can buy them for personnel use not a container.

Does anyone have info on this? What would personnel use be 2,000 or something like that or maybe even 200 sent to each member of your family :D

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

Did anyone watch news?
    So does this mean we could buy 200 smokes for say €20?

maybe even less cigs in Latvia (silk cut) cost 1 euro for 20, in romania 86 cents for 20

Any websites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Thats brilliant news! Even though I'm trying to quit smoking, ordering cheap booze online will be great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Woo, excellent. Crate of marlboro here I come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I saw on the bbc that the English government will lose around 15 billion euro in lost revenue. If Ireland was to lose out on the revenue on booze and drink then i think that they will try to make it up by putting up prices on other things. Non smokers will then find that they are footing the bill for all the cheap cigs cos i cant see the government taking the hit. That kind of money will have to be made up.
    Sliced pan= 15 euro a loaf:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

exactly, wont affect me smoke wise, john player cant be bought abroad.

the delivery on 24 cans of gargle will cost a serious amount, actually any large amount of liquid is gonna cost a fortune on delivery

VinnyL wrote:

the delivery on 24 cans of gargle will cost a serious amount, actually any large amount of liquid is gonna cost a fortune on delivery

I'd say your right. The average smoker probably wont be ordering smokes by the container load.Or drink for that matter. I think the news is hyping the amount the government will lose anyway. Even if it is made law i would think that the gov. will find a way to get around it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭falipo

any links to this lads?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

is this only the case with alcohol or tobacco or is it with all goods bought online from european websites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

joe robot wrote:
    is this only the case with alcohol or tobacco or is it with all goods bought online from european websites?

It's only relevant to goods with excise duty

Apparently just cigs and alcohol.

How many smokes could you buy at one time?
    joe robot wrote:

Just drink and smokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

This will be a disaster for the Moore Street economy...:D

I'll bet the revenue guys are getting paid overtime at the moment to come up with something to ensure that the vast duties aren't lost. Cigarette Registration Tax (CRT -or FART maybe for fag registration tax?) - any box of fags without the health warning in English will be deemed illegal and in order to smoke them, you have to go to a special CRT office where some ould biddy will stick an approved health warning sticker on your pack for a nice fat fee whilst rolling her eyes and telling you how bad smoking is :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭wba88

Any1 got any good sites to order from?

There doesn't seem to be anything about limits that i can see.
    The underground cig market will be hit alright though. Theres no way they could compete with this new ruling.

thrill wrote:
    The underground cig market will be hit alright though.

Thats a good thing

• Advertisement

alleepally wrote:
    I'll bet the revenue guys are getting paid overtime at the moment to come up with something to ensure that the vast duties aren't lost. Cigarette Registration Tax (CRT -or FART maybe for fag registration tax?) - any box of fags without the health warning in English will be deemed illegal

FART:D

You can bet the Spanish and Italian printing presses will go into overdrive to print English warnings. They will use every loophole they can to get around any attempts to deny them the chance to make money out of the poor Irish smoker and drinker.

Seven English pounds for 200 cigs in latvia

thrill wrote:

Seven English pounds for 200 cigs in latvia

Jayz, no wonder so many of them smoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

VinnyL wrote:

Yes you can. I bought them in Marbella before. Think they export them there specificallly for the knacks on tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Any websites?

http://www.booze.ie

maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

wyndham wrote:
    Yes you can. I bought them in Marbella before. Think they export them there specificallly for the knacks on tour.

ha ha funny, prefer the hedgehogs myself. (benson & hedges)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

They haven't brought it into law yet, the European Legal Court is going to decide in 10 days if it will allow it.

John

Lump wrote:
    They haven't brought it into law yet, the European Legal Court is going to decide in 10 days if it will allow it.

John

And if it is approved you probably wont have to search too hard for sites that will offer to ship the stuff to you pronto.

Tax experts believe the November 23 court ruling will speed up moves towards single rates of tax across the EU.

Conspiracy theorists will probably tell you that it's about getting the single tax rate thing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

thrill wrote:
    When I was in Brussels airport duty free about 3 years ago a rep from Gallaher UK told me that the EU personal allowance when travelling within member states was a maximum of 3,600 cigarettes.

I presume the same EU allowance will still apply.

Happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

VinnyL wrote:

On the continent the sell john player black, gold and red. Black are red are quite tolerable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,205 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Definately available in France anyway. Saw them in red, green, black, silver...maybe one or two more, but not blue!

This doesnt affect me in the slightest as I dont smoke, and a of a few weeks ago, doont drink. Weird ruling though, handy if I do go back to drink

Advertisement