Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you drink and drive?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Your looking for empirical evidence? Heres some of the statistics from the Garda report from 2004 on Road Traffic Accidents. Easily found with three clicks on the RSA website:
    http://nra.ie/PublicationsResources/DownloadableDocumentation/RoadSafety/file,1948,en.pdf

I'm copying and pasting some bits I found interesting if you don't want to read the report yourself.

Thirty-six per cent of all fatal collisions in 2004 were single vehicle only collisions.This represents an increase of three percentage points over the 2003 situation. This collision type, which involves no other road user, is strongly associated with two causal factors, namely excessive speed and / or alcohol consumption.Single vehicle only collisions accounted for just 20 per cent of injury collisions.

Now some statistics dispelling the "fact" that young drivers cause most of the accidents. The following can be seen from pg 32 onwards in above report.

47% of all male car drivers injured or killed in crashes are 35 or over
    24.7% are between 25-34 yrs old (probably the biggest single group on the road so statistically will have more accidents)

Also out of the 167 males killed in vehicles on the road 46 were driving motorbikes which are notoriously dangerous. They are only involved in 10% of accidents (for males) but account for a little under a third of all deaths.

So the message is guys don't drink and drive, don't speed, don't ride motorbikes, don't drug drive and don't drive late at night if you can avoid it. If you do all these things chances are you won't be involved in a fatal accident. I'm not saying that speeding doesn't kill people and that inexperienced drivers don't make more mistakes but the thread title was about drinking and driving and not overall road safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

JustCoz wrote:
    Are you taking the piss??? How ignorant can you be? I think the death toll on the roads so far this year is 319 now.

Yeah, and how many of those 319 were drink related?

Advertisement