Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you drink and drive?

Options
  • 12-11-2006 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I find it really disturbing the amount of people who are dying on the roads every weekend.
    I thought that the young generation of new drivers was getting better when it comes to drinking and driving but was talking to some people recently about it and apparently alot of people I know do it.
    Do you?

Do you drink and drive? 146 votes

No, I never would
    0% 0 votes
    Yes
    92% 135 votes
    I'd like to say no, but I've done it before
    7% 11 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This thread has been done to death. Have a quick look and you'll find your answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

No. I have a son to come home to. If i want to drink i leave the car behind. if i want to drive i dont drink.

Its a simple choice really. I think you know before you go out and make the conscious decision if i take the car i CANNOT have a drink.

In saying that i know a lot of people who have one or two and drive.

I just couldnt live with myself if i hurt anyone or worse killed them or myself and leave my son an orphan - all for the sake of 15 quid in a cab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Young drivers are a lot less likely to drink and drive than older drivers. Young drivers just speed more...

I'd lose all respect for anyone I found out drank and drove... it's one of the most ignorant irresponsible things anyone can do

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

What's the fastest way to find if something as been "done to death"? The seach facility is ****e on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Unfortunately, I have in the past. Never above six though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I do most weekends, but my cut off is about 4 or 5 pints. Anything after that and I get a bit wobly on the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

most i ever had was 1 pint before jumping into my car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Never have and never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

20 years driving, never have, never will.(and I do enjoy a few pints and good red wine.)
    and I have no respect for anyone who does or symphaty for anyone caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I wont get behind the wheel of the car after any more than 4 and a half pints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I take it you all mean you never drink and drive while over the legal limit? Does this mean you dont drive the day after having a skinful too?

CiaranC wrote:
    I take it you all mean you never drink and drive while over the legal limit? Does this mean you dont drive the day after having a skinful too?
    No, like I said. I don't get behind the wheel if I've had over 4 and a half pints. Just to be on the safe side. I only speed if I've had less than three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's good to see how successful the ads are at changing public opinion :)

I don't drive yet but I won't be drinking and driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

if you drive you shouldnt drink ANYTHING with alcohol in it. its that simple. anyone who does shouldnt be allowed to drive in my opinion. its stupid people that drive having had a drink that are killing people on the roads every weekend.

and i dont care how much you have had to drink. one pint is too many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Ah, you sound all just chill out a bit and have a pint ;)

i see someone finds people dying on the road needlessly funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

Wouldnt even have one...then again id b drunk on a barmans fart!

Funny enough all the bad prress young people get yet i know none of my friends would do it yet mosta my parents friedns will drink after one or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I never drink and drive - don't intend to either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Binomate wrote:
    No, like I said. I don't get behind the wheel if I've had over 4 and a half pints. Just to be on the safe side. I only speed if I've had less than three.

I really hope that you're very tall and very heavy. I wouldn't be able to see straight after 4 and a half pints, never mind get in the driver's seat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Faith wrote:
    This thread has been done to death. Have a quick look and you'll find your answers.
    yes done to death
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=280109&referrerid=&highlight=drink%20and%20drive?

Faith wrote:
    I really hope that you're very tall and very heavy. I wouldn't be able to see straight after 4 and a half pints, never mind get in the driver's seat!
    I sure as hell am.

http://hunch.se/stuff/hard-core-heavy-metal-midget.jpg

That's me on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Font22 wrote:
    if you drive you shouldnt drink ANYTHING with alcohol in it. its that simple. anyone who does shouldnt be allowed to drive in my opinion. its stupid people that drive having had a drink that are killing people on the roads every weekend.

I agree completely.
    Gautama wrote:
    What's the fastest way to find if something as been "done to death"? The seach facility is ****e on this site.

Yes, yes it is! Now go voice your concerns about it on the feedback forum:)

I'm not insured so amn't driving at the moment, but when I was I never drank and drove. Never have and never will. People who think its fine to have a few and get behind the wheel absolutely disgust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

what gets me is people going out drinking on a friday night at 9 get completly ratted go home maybe half one or 2 and then go off to work at 8 and think there ok.thats just as dangerous.i make out that causes a lot of accidents in the morning times.tiredness as well has a big role to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anyone who drinks and drives knows what they're doing is obviously wrong, but they will use any excuse to justify it. Much like those who smoke or drink while pregnant, drive in bus lanes, etc.

The fact of the matter is that there will always be a subset who will drink and drive. The only way to reduce this subset is to have someone close to them die (not the ideal way) or to make them think that if they do it once, they're likely to be caught. Random breath tests are great for this.

I would argue that really young drivers (18-22) and older drivers (> 45) are more likely to drink-drive than others. Younger drivers because they're still in their "I'm indestructible" phase, and overestimate their control while drunk, and older drivers because it's a tradition.

I would hazard a guess that our increase in binge drinking will serve to lower incidence of drink driving; For a lot of people now, "going out for a few" actually means "Won't be home till 5am, well oiled". With this in mind, they're going to take a bus or taxi. If someone actually thinks they're heading out for three or four pints, then they're more likely to take their vehicle on the promise of, "If I end up having too much I can leave the car there". But the presence of a vehicle and reduced inhibitions are bad bedfellows.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

I don't see how anyone can justify driving a car after consuming any drink what so-ever. Very stupid thing to do.

If you drink and drive you should be shot with a ball of your own s**t imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Never. I've had a pint after judo and drove home once or twice. But that's it.. And even at that, I wouldn't make a habit of drinking, even after one pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

So far 78% have said No. Which begs the question...

WTF IS WRONG WITH THE 22%? :mad::mad::mad:

What will it take to make these people understand? If any of the 22% are reading this, at least have the courage to explain yizzer selves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Shellie13 wrote:
    Funny enough all the bad prress young people get yet i know none of my friends would do it yet mosta my parents friedns will drink after one or two!

This is legal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Shellie13 wrote:

you do realise that you can drink a certain amount (varies person to person) before driving

Advertisement