Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the biggest mistake you've made at work?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I remember when i was 16 i worked in rish rail in dun laoghaire dart station. Back thent hey had a massive flight of steps down tot he platform. I was checking tickets like a carefree 16yr old would, i.e leaning against the steps railing and not really giving a f*ck. This guy comes up to me and start talking, but i cant understand a word this dude is saying. Hes like 'het de hook ourra weyyyy', and im like 'ummm what?'. So im standing there leaning on the railing listening to this dude who i think is drunk or something going het de hook ourra weyyy for about 5 minutes until it dawns on me: The dude is handicapped and cant get down the stairs with me leaning on the railing. het de hook ourra weeey = get the f*ck outta the way :D
    Current job, a couple of weeks ago, i was upgrading one of the board memebers blackberries firmware, 'backup all data?', naaah, f*ck that! click next, all data erased, 'umm why isnt it just downloading it all from the server now??'. Whoops. All contacts, email and whatnot gone forever. This guy is like a government advisor or some sh!t :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I've made no big ones but then only 6 weeks into first permanent job so I suppose I could fcuk up big time yet. However a girl I know was working as an operative in a large multinational medical devices company. She had been out the night before and had a major hangover. Anyway she gowns up (takes ~ 5-10 mins), goes onto the floor and goes to her workstation. A couple of minutes later she realises she has to puke. Runs towards the gown room, doesn't make it and throws up on the floor.
    The factory had to close down the whole line for 2 weeks:eek: to decontaminate the place. Cost millions. And she kept her job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Only in my new job a month. Answered the phone yesterday:

Me:"Good afternoon, Harvey Normans, **** speaking"
    Customer:"Er, do you mean Harry Corrys?"

Girl at the next til nearly fell over laughing. May my boss never know. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Dan133269 wrote:
    care to tell us what it was?

typed 30:20 instead of 30:15 but i wont tell you the significance or where it was because it was recent enough that there are still one or 2 things to work out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Many years we had a planned power outage in work. It wasn't a problem because we had huge f**k-off UPS which would support all of our servers for 4 hours ....... until Yours Truly decided that a cup of tea was in order and plugged the kettle into a UPS socket. Poof .... 4 hours of server power drained in a couple of moments.

Ooops. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

One of a number cockups I can remember over the years was years ago when I worked night shift and I formatted the wrong hard drive on a machine, it had load of production data on it. The moment I hit the enter key I realised what I had done and I could feel a cold sweat breaking out. That was a bad shift, trying to figure out how to get away with it.

Funny thing I did get away with it and nobody coped it for weeks by then it was too late to track who was working on the machine in question as records were suitable doctored in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Silverfish wrote:
    My advice is start blaming the system. Fast. First offence? Talk your way out of it.

Eh..... my biggest mistake in work? Possibly the time a part went on a machine that was the most important machine in the production line. Thousands of computer chips would be sitting useless unless this part was replaced. We didn't hold one in stock as it was extremely expensive. Year's salary expensive, kinda thing.

So, I ordered it from the manufacturer in Japan. Got it ferried to a plane. Got it flown to Ireland. Got a taxi to collect it from the airport and drive like the clappers to the plant.

Grabbed it at reception and ran down the hallway to hand it to the maintenance engineer....... and dropped it.

In fairness, he tried to catch it. With his foot. Both our faces drained of colour as we watched this part shatter all over the corridor. Ahhh, fun times.

Hey Silverfish - that didn't happen to be a factory in Tallaght did it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

h2s wrote:
    Hey Silverfish - that didn't happen to be a factory in Tallaght did it?

Busted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

reformatted a webserver before i remembered to back it up. my boss had backed it up before giving it to me, but he let me sweat it out for a day to teach me a lesson, i never made that mistake again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Not my mistake, but a manager mistake. While working in a fast food kip a manager decided she was in a pisser and screamed and roared at a mate and I for a few mins for no reason. So we said **** this, we went down to the chemcial store and ****ed about 5k worth of chemicals down the drain (the years supply).

Stupid, dangerous and environmentally disasterous, but when your a 16 year old working in a kip like that for feck all money, you dont give a flying ****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

One I let somebody lie about the progress of a project to the boss while I was in the room. When the boss found out the actually progress the liar turned around and said I lied to her about how much work had been done. She claimed if I knew we were so far behind I wouldn't have let her lie about the progress. The boss belived her !! After that I informed the boss of every delay I saw and then got accused of being a nay sayer. When I left I sent an e-mail from her address telling the clients about all the faults in the system she had been hiding from them and denying.

When I was phoned about a job I thought I was on hold and continued to talk about the drink and substances I was consuming at the time. When the person eventually came back on the phone they asked me a few questions and then told me they heard everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Working as a nightporter last year in Dublin city centre I was pretty bored in reception and started looking around the little office for stuff to amuse me. I saw these little walkie talkies (or what I thought were walkie talkies) and started messing with them pressing all the buttons trying to get em to work. No luck so went back to the internet. About five minutes later two Guards came running in the door shouting "Where's the trouble?" Me leaning back in the seat says what trouble and they tell me the panick button was pressed and its only used in emergencies (ie if I'm being held at gunpoint)

Finally dawns on me that the 'walkie talkies' must be little mobile panic alarms and start laughing and say to them 'Ah lads, I was messing with these earlier. That must be it.' They weren't best pleased with that, Started screaming at me calling me every name under the sun...

Also in that job I flooded the basement twice by accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Houston Griffin

I once destroyed two trucks in a single day. It was before I had an office job, when I was a garderner for the city. There wasn't much for garderners to do in the winter, so when it snowed, they sent us to the roads department to help plow snow. Nobody bothered to explain to me how to plow (even though I told them I didn't know what I was doing). They just put me in a truck and told me to get to work. I was getting the hang of the controls and was merrily clearing a parking lot when the truck suddenly came to an abrupt halt and smoke was pouring out from under the hood. I blew the engine because I didn't know you could only plow snow in first gear (I don't think the temperature guage was working). After getting chewed out, they put me in a salt truck. I salted the roads for many hours without any problems, until I noticed I was running low on fuel. I didn't realize it was a diesel truck (all the garden department's truck ran on gas), and filled the tank with gasoline. My punishment was that I was sent back the gardens department to sit on my ass and collect a pay check until it was time for Spring planting....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Arohanui

I can't remember when I've laughed so hard, these stories are great!

To give an update on my original problem, I prayed for a miracle and I got one!! When I went into work today, I was ready to confess all to management and prepare for the fallout before it was discovered. But before I did, I asked for a check on the material that was almost out of stock just so I could tell them exactly how dire the situation was. But I got a very surprised phone call back to tell me they had found twice the normal amount of stock we hold even though we were absolutely definitely almost out yesterday. Noone has any explanation as to where they came from. But I'm not going to argue. I haven't been in the job all that long and bringing the entire factory to a standstill for days was not how I wanted to make my mark (or exit).

I don't think the coathanger grin slipped from my face all day...But I hope the stories keep coming because even if my worse case scenario had happened, it would have been reassuring to know others have done worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Arohanui

I can't remember when I've laughed so hard, these stories are great!

To give an update on my original problem, I prayed for a miracle and I got one!! When I went into work today, I was ready to confess all to management and prepare for the fallout before it was discovered. But before I did, I asked for a check on the material that was almost out of stock just so I could tell them exactly how dire the situation was. But I got a very surprised phone call back to tell me they had found twice the normal amount of stock we hold even though we were absolutely definitely almost out yesterday. Noone has any explanation as to where they came from. But I'm not going to argue. I haven't been in the job all that long and bringing the entire factory to a standstill for days was not how I wanted to make my mark (or exit).

I don't think the coathanger grin slipped from my face all day...But I hope the stories keep coming because even if my worse case scenario had happened, it would have been reassuring to know others have done worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I used to work in a Deli.

There were these chicken ovens that had to be cleaned of fat after the roast chickens were taken out and put in their display. The fat that had drained off the chickens as they cooked would be emptied into an empty coleslaw bucket and dumped around the back of the shop by the skip.

Anyway, this one time, the health inspector showed up for a surprise visit. A bucket of fat/grease was lying on the floor ready to be taken out. Of course, I grabbed it being the nearest one to it, only the have the bucket handle unhinge before me, letting the grease go everywhere.

Have you ever tried to get solidifying fat of the floor with a mop and bucket?

Luckily, the inspector was in a different part of the shop at that time.

It doesn't come free that easily!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The usual Friday evening thing, I screwed an extra screw in the wall and started packing up. Came back in on Monday. First thing I get from the head man was a "You, come here!", "Did you screw that in there?"
    What happened was the plumber installed the main water pipe behind the wall and I happened to do the worst. The place got flooded.

I'll never forget the slagging I got from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

Sparky-s wrote:
    The usual Friday evening thing, I screwed an extra screw in the wall and started packing up. Came back in on Monday. First thing I get from the head man was a "You, come here!", "Did you screw that in there?"
    What happened was the plumber installed the main water pipe behind the wall and I happened to do the worst. The place got flooded.

I'll never forget the slagging I got from that.

lol eveyone of yis is not fit to work priceless.keep em coming:D

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

I work part-time in a DIY retail store that has a yard & trade centre aswell.

Anyway July bank holiday weekend and we're doing a massive promotion where if you spend a certain amount of money your entitled to a free gift example: 250 euro - Kettle,toaster etc & on to up to 10,000 where you can get a free bathroom suite blah blah blah...

I was behind the till which was giving out the smaller of the free gifts tv's and what not when a man and another chap (which I later discovered was his brother) came to collect their free gift. He had just spent roughly 2,000 on flooring and doors.

So whilst he was getting his gift brother approaches me with an air compressor in his arms saying that he had just bought it in the trade centre and they had forgotten to remove the security tag. He asked me if I would oblige and I said no problem removed the tag they got their free gift and were on their way.

Cut to 2 days later manager comes thudering down the shop and asks me if I ad removed a security tag on an air compressor because apparently one had gone missing and they were checking cameras to see if it was stolen. I said I had when he then informed me that he hadn't paid for it at all and that it was worth 900 euro.

Needless to say I was left red faced, but not as much as the fella who robbed
    it because we were able to contact his brother because he had an account in-store and tell him that he better return the compressor or the gardai would be called.

HA!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I was an apprentice at the time and me and the boss were installing access control in a large office block in Santry. We had to drill through one of the concrete floors to get the cables through, he was drilling for ages and eventually got through but the hole wasn't big enough so he changed the drill bit and kept drilling to enlarge the hole. He was nearly through when all of a sudden water started gushing down through the hole like a river. The whole ground floor was flooded, we were kicked out by the boss of the company, they had to Kango hammer out a ten foot section of the floor above us to replace the pipe (think it was the old steel type). We ended up going back to finish the job but there was a bit of an atmosphere to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

there is a transport company next to where i used to work. on his first day, a new driver was going overnight from cork to dublin and jack-knifed his truck in kildare. result: bent truck. bent trailer. i heard he had to sit next to his soon-to-be former boss in the bent truck on the trip home the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Worked in a medical devices company during the summer. About 20 minutes from the end of a night shift I accidently hit an emergency stop button that stopped the entire line I was working on. That was one severe oh **** moment especially so close to the end of the shift. Took about an hour to get the line restarted and well it didn't run incredibly well for a few shifts after that.

Cheers
    Rory

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Worked as a Localisation engineer in dublin last summer.

Once sent back and entire batch of files untranslated. Read as, I was too lazy to check the files and assumed they had been translated. Major printer company were not happy.

There was a meeting about it and everything. Processes were changed and what not. My boss came up to me afterwards and said 'just be more careful in future'.

My boss also deleted an entire project off the live work server, while he was trying to impress upon me how I had to be careful :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Jaysus, I have a good few...

I rmember being 14 and working in a car park at a stadium, a bus came along and dropped off the passengers, and needed someplace to park, asked me and I told him to drive down to where the storage entrance (Which was covered by a metal roof) was, knowing there'd be no stock dropped off until the day after. Was helping him back in...when I heard a massive crunch & grinding of metal...and realised that, though I knew the bus would fit in lengthways and widthways...I had forgot about the height.

Neither the Driver or my boss wasn't best pleased...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

This has got to be fairly high up there:
    http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/11/hot-tub-mishap.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭ucd_guy

Sure what about the guys in Vincent's Hospital who ****ed up and took out yer man's stomach? Ultimate bad day!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

ucd_guy wrote:
    Sure what about the guys in Vincent's Hospital who ****ed up and took out yer man's stomach? Ultimate bad day!
    I'd say it would be the lab technicians who mixed up the samples that had the bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Simona1986 wrote:

I love how everybody scampers to get out of the water

I once added up the wrond square metreage on a project and told the client the building would be a few million less than it would really have cost. Luckly he was clued in, figured something was afoot and asked me to recheck it, so sloppy on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭samo

I used to work as a travel agent and on 3 seperate occasions managed to book a passenger to the wrong city (thankfully not the wrong country!)

Am still laughing about earlier story with the girl in the micra offering the guy in the truck a tow!!!

OP - glad the situations looking better for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Simona1986 wrote:
    Ah at the taught of sounding stupid ah what does she do? :o Does she s.hit her self?

Advertisement