Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the biggest mistake you've made at work?

Options
  • 09-11-2006 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Today I am as stressed as I have ever been in my life because of an oversight I made at work. A mistake was made by someone and it was my job to catch it and I didn't and now there will be some very serious consequences. I decided to ease my fears about my P45 being on my desk next week by drinking as much wine as I could without being sick. And having done that, I want to know what f**K-ups other people have made? I don't mean leaving the person who you realise now was destined for you or any other such b****x, what have you done that nearly got you fired? Or even better (such is my schadenfreude mood) actually got you fired?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead doesn't really do any work so unfortunately I wouldn't be the best person to ask. Anyway just popped in to say, great thread buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

OP, did you kill some one?

If not, it's hardly the worst mistake ever.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Arohanui wrote:
    Today I am as stressed as I have ever been in my life because of an oversight I made at work. A mistake was made by someone and it was my job to catch it and I didn't and now there will be some very serious consequences.

So what'd you do?

and......

maybe he did YORE MA!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Hope its got nothing to do with a Life Support Machine and a fcuked fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I got fired for telling the manager that the company sucked and they treat customers like shoite and that I'm not going to lie for them and how dare they ask me. It wasn't a mistake though.;) I suppose I wasn't really being fired either. It was more them saying "well if you feel that way I wouldn't be the best manager if I let you stay with that attitude".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

My advice is start blaming the system. Fast. First offence? Talk your way out of it.

Eh..... my biggest mistake in work? Possibly the time a part went on a machine that was the most important machine in the production line. Thousands of computer chips would be sitting useless unless this part was replaced. We didn't hold one in stock as it was extremely expensive. Year's salary expensive, kinda thing.

So, I ordered it from the manufacturer in Japan. Got it ferried to a plane. Got it flown to Ireland. Got a taxi to collect it from the airport and drive like the clappers to the plant.

Grabbed it at reception and ran down the hallway to hand it to the maintenance engineer....... and dropped it.

In fairness, he tried to catch it. With his foot. Both our faces drained of colour as we watched this part shatter all over the corridor. Ahhh, fun times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Arohanui

Ok, I didn't actually kill anyone. I really don't want to get into specifics because I know that workmates frequent this place. I'll just say the mistake that I didn't spot will potentially cost a scary amount of money in factory downtime. That's all I'm prepared to say at this juncture :-) Bring on the horrific stories people!!!!

Silverfish is setting the bar high. That's the calibre of story I am expecting to make me feel remotely better! I seriously feel your pain and thanks for a story well told :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Silverfish wrote:
    My advice is start blaming the system. Fast. First offence? Talk your way out of it.

Eh..... my biggest mistake in work? Possibly the time a part went on a machine that was the most important machine in the production line. Thousands of computer chips would be sitting useless unless this part was replaced. We didn't hold one in stock as it was extremely expensive. Year's salary expensive, kinda thing.

So, I ordered it from the manufacturer in Japan. Got it ferried to a plane. Got it flown to Ireland. Got a taxi to collect it from the airport and drive like the clappers to the plant.

Grabbed it at reception and ran down the hallway to hand it to the maintenance engineer....... and dropped it.

In fairness, he tried to catch it. With his foot. Both our faces drained of colour as we watched this part shatter all over the corridor. Ahhh, fun times.

Surely insurance covered it?

I would hazard a guess that the downtime in production cost far more than the part itself cost...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I don't make mistakes! :p

Well ok, this one time at band camp...... Upgraded the wrong database and lost 5 years worth of important data. :eek: Luckily we had a backup but system was down for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Broke the safe key in the safe so it couldnt be opened or closed. Another time I mislaid ten grand but thankfully it tuned up in the end ..phew...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Scraggs wrote:
    Broke the safe key in the safe so it couldnt be opened or closed. Another time I mislaid ten grand but thankfully it tuned up in the end ..phew...

Just resting in your account was it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Silverfish wrote:
    My<snip> Ahhh, fun times.

Your manager wouldn't have thought to order 2 incase it happened again no? And it did, because of you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭thomj42

dude, chill out, it won't be as bad as you think. work isn't really very important in the scheme of things.
    i haven't done anything particularly stupid, although i know a guy who was interviewed by a woman for a position, and then when asked how he got on by another colleague proceeded to explian how "he couldn't concentrate because the interviewer had savage tits"... he wasn't aware that the colleague he was talking to happened to be the interviewers sister... eeek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

That time I got caught having a ****.... man that was bad. :(

Thanks for the encouragement Thomj42 - but the first friend I relayed my tale to after was less than encouraging

"Don't be worried, sure it's not like you're the only supplier in the world"

"well actually, well-meaning friend, we are"

"well, it's not like anyone is going to die, is it"

"well actually, this will potentially impact at least on the quality of peoples lives in the short-term. Dying is not an impossibility"

"Ooooh.........you're f***ed so."

"Yeah, I know. Thanks."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Can you not fix this mistake or at least try limit the damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Hmmm... I was messing on one of the phones at the customer service desk. Well, two of us were. I hit the "P.A." button, that supposedly doesn't work any more and started talking into it. About 20 seconds later the guy in tech knocks on the window at me an tells me he can here me. I start shouting obscenites at him and what not. Every colourful word under the sun.
    Just after I'm done, I find out that the P.A button now broadcasts to every phone with a loudspeaker on it. It just so happens that there is one of those phones in the managers office, and one in the training room - where there happened to be 15+ managers from other store branches!!! :o
    Biggest Mistake Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

biggest mistake I ever made in work was not telling my boss(from a couple of jobs back) To FUKK Right OFF.

seriously if you reckon youre gonna be fired you'll probably just get a "ticking off" take it like a man & give it all the "wont happen again" act.
    Everyone is essentially paranoid i've managed to stop myself from waking up in the middle of the night wondering did i do something right or wrong in work.
    Also if its your job to make sure somebody has done there job correctly youre already one level of abstraction away, can you always imply that the other guy fooked up in such a way that it wasn't noticed.

• Advertisement

Oh don't worry, damage limitation is being employed to the max but there is only so much you can do when lead time exceeds the amount of time left in an essential material in production...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

when in doubt , just blame everything on that foreign guy Tebor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

sjones wrote:
    That time I got caught having a ****.... man that was bad. :(
    at work:eek: control yourself man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

My biggest mistake in work would have to be the following:

When i was in charge of a group of ppl one of the staff emailed me asking for time off, but this person was taking days of left ,right and centre for job interviews, and my boss and i knew this.......So i emailed the boss saying "Is he/she taking the piss i know for a fact he/she is going for an interview, does he/she think we are stupid, we need to have a serious talk with them"

Of course i NEVER hit the Forward button, i hit the REPLY button :eek: :eek: :eek: , and of course the mail was sent back to the staff who orignally sent it. I just wanted the ground to open up and swallow me...........Man i was fooked.....thought i was getting by P45 by 5pm that day:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

el rabitos wrote:

LMFAO:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

el rabitos wrote:
    Ah tebor, how many times have you saved my ass?

On another note, I actually used to work with a guy named Tebor. I laughed my head off my first day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Slurms wrote:
    Ah tebor, how many times have you saved my ass?

On another note, I actually used to work with a guy named Tebor. I laughed my head off my first day!
    dont tell me he`s hungarian:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

I've never made any holy sh1t mistakes at any job I've had.

But I can relate a tale from my previous job. A Fabulous error made by upper management!

I needed a disk containing vital information to forward off to a customer.
    Two people in the company had copies of this disk. My Boss, Bill, and our Gov't sales Manager who just happens to be gay.

I sent E-mails to both asking for a copy of that disk.
    Ten Minutes later the Gov't Sales Manager comes running up to my desk yelling "Don't read it! Delete! Delete!" with this look of terror on his face.

He was too late, though. I was already rolling in laughter at his failure to use spell check.

His reply was "I think I gave my d1ck to Bill.":)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I think the time i took the server room key to Hi:Fi and locked the entire company out of there for the whole weekend.

Thankfully no server fell over, if it had i would have been lynched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

ROLF L4L

I once sent confidential informationabout one company to one of their rivals. This was accounts and stuff:(

Advertisement