Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you get on with yer parents???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Haven't seen my parents since May, and before that it was October 2003, so we get on just great :D

The odd phonecall is friendly, but it would be hard to argue on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I get on quite well with both my parents...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Get on okay. Have just moved home recently for a few months. Haven't lived there for about 4-5 years. I'll see how it goes. Still don't see them that much when I'm at home. Get in at 7. Have dinner. Go to room. Weekends I go out on the lash. At the same time I am looking forward to moving back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm not getting on to great with my mam right now jsut because off the usual teenage arguments ie wont let me out late etc.get on well with my dad though.he lets ym mam do the disciplining

My dad, Yes
    I can tell him anything and he'll give me honest advice and he'll do anything at all to help me
    My mam is more bitchy and controlling toward's me so no, not so much!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I fought terribly with my mum all through my teenage years, we could barely be in the same room for more than an hour, but we get on great since I left home (and the country!) See her about twice a year now and really look forward to our get togethers.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Mom - not good for a long while. Came to a head at my wedding. Told her folks their daughter was a manipulative bitch (she's not! - then if I was whipped I would say that!v:D) then hit the bar (No particular reason - just felt this was a good time for it in front of all my / her friends and familty). Next time I elope! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

Always got on well with my Mummy but even more so in the past couple of years, i phone her pretty much every day. Didnt get on with my Daddy for alot of my life for various reasons but then when he gave me driving lessons when i was 17 we managed to make up so i get on great with him too. My parents are the nicest people in the world (much better than yours :p).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Don't know my father, never speak to him nor particularly want to. He took off when I was young and despite making a few poor attempts he has never had the courage to face me since. He's an alcoholic and only ever rings when he's drunk.

Get along great with my mam though. We argue and disagree all the time but I've never had an argument with her that lasted more than a few hours. We shout and scream and then its gone and forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭exCrumlinBoyo

I get on great with my parents. Probably for the fact that I live in Florida and they live in Dublin. When I was growing up as a teenager we had some hairy moments and crazy arguments. At 19 I decided it was time to move out on my own. The mother and father could not believe it. They were like; he will back in a month. A year went by and they were actually very impressed and respected me for the fact I could look after myself. We got on a whole lot better and the mammy would love it when I would come each and every Thursday for Dinner. When I would leave she would be stuffing my pockets with sausages, pudding, frozen vegetables ect. She would make sure I was eating.

Now, we speak on the phone each and every weekend and still can’t believe that I settled down and got married have gave them two grand-children. We go back to Dublin once every two years and my family come to visit me every year in between that.

I was not until I left the nest and went out to the world myself that I got on with my parents. I seen them and they seen me in different lights. I seem them as human beings for the first time in my life, instead (and as well) as my parents and that they are allowed to make mistakes as well. My parents (now separated) have made huge mistakes during mine and my siblings life times which caused us all a lot of heart ache at the time, but forgive and forget is my motto as again, they are more than your parents, they are humans and make mistakes. They tried their best. I would not change them for the world. They have been there for me when I needed them most and I have been there for them and still are. When we all speak on weekends, they ask me for advice, their eldest 27 year old son. Its funny, I am like a parent to them sometimes more than they are to me, but it’s a fair swap for all they have done for me over the years.

I know too many people who hold resentment and blame their parents for a lot of their sh it. They tried their best, made mistakes as you will with your own kids. What matters most is that their there for you when you need them most and visa versa.

Tell your parents what you want to tell them because one day they will be gone and you may not get another chance. Regret is a horrible thing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I get on really well with my mum, don't get on so well with my dad. No particular reason why, probably just a personality clash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I get on well with your ma.

3 pages in I cant believe nobody had said it........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭exCrumlinBoyo

shane86 wrote:
    I get on well with your ma.

3 pages in I cant believe nobody had said it........

Jayis Christ.... get over the ma thing.... its so old and boring now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Get on ok with both, but not especially close to either. My sister doesn't talk to my mother though and hasn't for many years.

Surprised by the poll results - 26% of respondents so far don't get on with their dad. That's alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I get on well with both of them, but I have "moments" with my Mam. We are very very alike, and as such, it causes friction. I'm a Mammy now myself, but sometimes my Mam just won't let me get on with being a parent to my daughter. She's always telling me I'm doing stuff wrong, don't do that, do this etc... It grates on the nerves as she made mistakes when myself and my siblings were kids (every parent makes mistakes!).

My Dad - I get on well with him, but I don't really "know" my Dad. He's the strong, silent type. He doesn't talk about how he feels about stuff. He is Mr. Practical and worries constantly about money, and is always lecturing me and my siblings on money... I suppose every Dad is a bit like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

I get on well with both my parents, sure there was the odd hairy moment growing up, but now, it's hard to describe, we talk every couple of days, never for long, and see each other odd weekends here and there when it suits everyone, and it's really easy to just get along...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I get on freakishly well with my parents and my brother. Its easy cos they're all lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I get on quite well with my parents. Although I do have more arguments over nitty things more with my mam than my dad. My dad and I can have a fight maybe once every 3 months but it wears off in about 3 hours. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Jayis Christ.... get over the ma thing.... its so old and boring now. :rolleyes:
    I got over yore ma!
    or.....
    Yore ma's old and boring now!
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I've never met my father, and I get on fine with my mother which is good since I'm still living at home...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

NotMe wrote:
    I got over yore ma!
    or.....
    Yore ma's old and boring now!
    :rolleyes:

Gah! Beat me to it.

My mother....eh.....she can wreck your head, primarily because she can be so out of touch with the real world. As the oul man says, if she says its raining out and its actually bone dry, it is raining and she cant be told any different. Shes alright, but one or two things annoy me about her (laziness and an inabillity to admit shes wrong being the biggest). Jesus Christ, she never stops going on about how hard her day in work is. I know for a fact my work is harder but I dont feckin go on about it. Shes always moaning about how she has to keep in line with production targets and such. Jesus, y`know what, so do I. Its generally expected that good employees meet certain requirements, nothing wrong with it. Typical womens attitude to work to be fair.

Advertisement