Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you get on with yer parents???

Options
  • 09-11-2006 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Well, do ya?

Me:

Dont get on with or even talk to my mam at all

Get on great with my Dad

Do you get on well with your parents? 128 votes

Yes, both
    0% 0 votes
    No, neither
    75% 96 votes
    Just my mam
    8% 11 votes
    Just my Dad
    16% 21 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

My mum and I are very close and mostly always have been, except for a few of my wild teen years. My dad passed three years ago, but I was very close to him as well. Enjoy your parents while they are here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The other one isn't gone, just locked as theres no need for two threads, you have the poll here. Also care to give your own thoughts first?

Get on fine with both Mam and Dad, as mentioned enjoy them while they are here. A good few friends of mine always regretted not knowing their own folks or respecting them enough while they were around.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Both my parents are young, both 40 and i 22, so I have always got on with them because there isnt a huge age gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

No problems here, get on well but i am a bit sick of living with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Obviously there are the irratating moments, but get on great with them other than that, and think the world of them both.

Might sound silly but sure hey its true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,812 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Reminds me of the scene in The Breakfast Club:

Bender: "Sporto, do you get along with your parents?"
    Andrew: "Well, if I say yes I'm an idiot, right?"
    Bender: "You're an idiot anyway. But if you say you get along with your parents, well then you're a liar too."

Ahhhhh, John Bender. Never will be see a ballsier character in a motion picture! :D

PS - yeah, get on with both my parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes, but I haven't lived with them in the past 20 years. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Yeah get on really well for the most part do loads dont think the age gap matters dads 60 and im 18 and we still do loads of stuff together we have the same way of thinking and like all the same things so its grand and handy if a bit strange

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

im in same situation

my bro is in his 2nd year of college and im stuck alone with the parents
    im in 5th year now so can't wait to move out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Get on well with both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

iFight wrote:
    Get on well with both
    Thats strange, Pighead was under the impression you fought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

^Poor at best Pighead old chum.:) Keep trying, you can do better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Yeah cant wait to move out but sure i suppose youd be ****ed without them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Yeah cant wait to move out but sure i suppose youd be ****ed without them :D
    the sad truth

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Yep I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Ah yeah I get along well with both of them. Connect with them on different levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I haven't talked to my dad in years and have no intention of doing so in the future.

My mam and I didn't get on well while I was a teenager but I like to think we would have gotten on well now that I'm older and not such an immature cow! :D Unfortunately she has degenerative mental illness so I can't find out. From what I remember of her before she got sick I think we'd have gotten on really well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't really ever see them but yeah, grand. I argue a lot with them, but I love to argue and shout and stuff...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I get on with them just great when I'm not living with them. When I am living with them, we vary between getting on great and fighting horribly.

I'm far closer to my Mum than my Dad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I supose I do, although they get on my tits most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

We wouldn't be that close, but we get along whenever I'm at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

As a teenager, I didnt speak to my father at all. I got on better with my parents when I moved to Dublin, and I didnt live at home. Now I'm back at home, they're wrecking my head again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

my dad is an idiot. my mother is a saint. she'd have to be to have not murdered him by now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

An auld mammys boy myself,Get on great with my mam and step dad. Funerals,weddings I normally see my dad. Enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Arohanui

Have to say my perspective on my relationship with my parents changed after I became a mum myself. I would imagine most new parents will admit to that! Having said that, I'm quite close to my mum but quite distant with my father but that is mainly due to issues that he has. I think getting older involves acknowledging your parents are only human with their own problems and not superhuman infallible as we would have liked to think. All you can do is your best...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I adore both my mum and my dad, I just can not live with them as I have my own life now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Get on with my mother well, But we have our arguements.

Havent talked to the sperm doner for years. And hope not to for many years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Get on great with both, probably closer to my dad. Same interests and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,756 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I get on well with both of them - a little better with Nana Billy, but that's just coz Grandpa Billy is a bit quieter.

Becoming a parent myself certainly made me appreciate them both a whole lot more.

Parents FTW!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I get along with my one parent splendidly (most of the time...then there are those times when revolt is called for!).

Advertisement