Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fool's errands...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I used to buy buns in our office as a student - and was sent to buy "2 Glenswilly Tarts" from the bakery we used to use - I found it hard to belive so they gave me a description that they had lots of cream with a spot of jam on the top!

The two Glenswilly girls behind the counter went quite red when I asked for them, especially before I realised my mistake and said "I should be able to get them for less than a pound"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ned78 wrote:
    Fallopian Tubes (My favourite)
    Yes - at a tender age I got sent to a plumbing shop for that and couldn't understand what all the burly tradesmen were laughing at. To compound matters, the shop said they were just out of them and sent me to another premises. :o

I also worked in a restaurant at a young age and on my first day we ran out of ice. They told me that if a customer asked for ice, I was to tell them that the ice factory was on strike. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

when I was around 13 doing summer work in SuperQuinns we used to do loads of these, most of which have been mentioned and some others I can't remember. I remember I got stung on my first day, it was my first job so I wasn't about to start asking questions when given orders. One of the guys around 21 comes up to me and says "there is a woman over there who wants to find out the price of this orange, the sticker has been taken off the basket so you'll have to get it checked at the checkout" he handed me the orange and off I went to the checkout. I was in the queue, when the manager taps me on the shoulder saying "what the bloody hell do you think you are doing" It was only as the words "getting a price check on an orange" left my mouth that I realised i'd been duped. :(

The only other one I can thing of is asking someone to fetch a leg of salmon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

when i was in the scouts i was sent to tell the campsite owner that we lost the keys to the field.

i fell for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Worked in Superquinn and I was asked to go get the Keys for Carpark gate,when in fact there wasnt one.I asked a butcher for keys and he said the manager has them and asked him for a long stand!!! I was like a tomato when it dawned on me after a while.

I got an apprentice on site,I sent him to the foreman for a skirting ladder...Haha he went of merrily and came back with a sour puss on him.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

rugbug86 wrote:
    the keys to the field
    Logical enough if it had a gate. Many landowners in my area padlock field gates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Logical enough if it had a gate. Many landowners in my area padlock field gates.
    oh no, this had no gate!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Send someone looking for things that exist, then send them for a "glass hammer". Everyone will know the joke, and send them around the camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,284 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hi can i speak to Annette Curtain

I was introduced to someone who was called annette Curtain before, and it was her actual name. It was only after I realised what her name was.

No errands for me, Iv only been in one job and am 18 so give it a few years. Some classics her just incase though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I know someone who was sent to the engineering labs to get a vulva guage.
    The guys asked did he want a dept or a width one and when he said width the sent him to the main workshop in the engineering dept and they sent him back asking did he want one that measured in inches or cms.

Apprenlty it was a metric width vulva guage and when they didnt' have one he was told to ring about the suppliers and ask.

He spent serveral hours on this errand before someone pointed it out to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I got caught out being sent for the skirting ladder years back. I was 15 at the time :D
    Oh the embarassment of it all !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Not really a fools errand, but more of a fools frak up.. friend of mine was working on a site few months back where this new fella stated, and the site foreman asked could he drive. So yer man says he could and was told to drive down the dumper to the local filling station and fill her up with diesel as she was fairly low. So that was grand, off set the new fella down with the dumper.
    Half hour passed and now sign of yer man, so the foreman was wondering where is the new fella, as it shouldn't take this long to fill her. So he went off to see what was wrong, only to see the dumper conked out halfways back to the site. wondering what was wrong, he went up to the dumper to see what the problem was. He smelled the problem before he ever got near the dumper though.Turned out that yer man had filled up the front bucket with diesel and not the fuel tank

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

This wasn't in work, it was my parents doing this to me! I was around 8 years old, maybe 9 and it was pancake Tuesday. I was looking forward to the pancakes and kept bugging my mam to make them so she sent me across the road to my babysitter for the "pancake sieve". Apparently that was a fairly well known one so she presumed that I would just be sent on to another neighbour etc etc.

So over I go but my babysitter was at work, her husband and 16/17 year old son were there. They started searching through drawers, looking in cupboards, muttering and griping that "she never puts things in the same place twice, you'd never know where she keeps things etc. etc." Eventually her son started ringing the school where she was at work to ask her where to find it.

Meanwhile my dad had been keeping an eye out at the window to watch me being sent from one place to another, didn't see me so after about 20 minutes he came to look for me. Told the two lads what was going on and they were mortified! It was hilarious :D Turned out I wasn't the one looking stupid after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

This wasn't in work, it was my parents doing this to me! I was around 8 years old, maybe 9 and it was pancake Tuesday. I was looking forward to the pancakes and kept bugging my mam to make them so she sent me across the road to my babysitter for the "pancake sieve". Apparently that was a fairly well known one so she presumed that I would just be sent on to another neighbour etc etc.

So over I go but my babysitter was at work, her husband and 16/17 year old son were there. They started searching through drawers, looking in cupboards, muttering and griping that "she never puts things in the same place twice, you'd never know where she keeps things etc. etc." Eventually her son started ringing the school where she was at work to ask her where to find it.

Meanwhile my dad had been keeping an eye out at the window to watch me being sent from one place to another, didn't see me so after about 20 minutes he came to look for me. Told the two lads what was going on and they were mortified! It was hilarious :D Turned out I wasn't the one looking stupid after all!

now thats a good one.:D i once told a fella on work expirence to go and get me some striped paint didnt see him for the rest of the day:eek: he came in the morning after at about 11 o clock and said to me theres no such thing as striped paint i was about to burst my sides laughing when he said he knew he was been taken for a mug so he went home to watch tv:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Somewhere I once worked had an office junior who was useless for anything except taking the piss out of. The best one was when he got sent around the office looking for a spare bubble for the spirit level. Poor fool got sent around to almost everyone in the office before someone gave him a mysterious looking object he found at the bottom of his drawer before warning him not to open it or the bubble will escape. He tried to open it....

There's a guy I work with at the moment who was being trained to use Autotrack - a computer program for desinging roads, carparks etc. It lets you virtually drive a truck or other vehicle to see if it will have room to turn and what have you. Anyway, he was asked did he have a full driving licence to which he said no. He was then told that if anyone ever asks to make sure to say that he did because he shouldn't be using the software without one. He believed it and for months after we would ask him if he had got his licence yet before someone eventually cracked and told him it was a joke.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Trinity1 wrote:
    Was never sent on an errand but when i first started working in offices i was given peices of paper with phone numbers to call and ask for particular people (it was a long long time ago so these are very old now !)

Hi can a speak to Mr C Lyon. - the number they gave me turned out to be Dublin Zoo

and my personal favourite - Hi can i speak to Annette Curtain - the number was hickeys fabric store :o

Friend of mine was given a number ring and ask for Myra Mains (funeral home)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

There's a guy I work with at the moment who was being trained to use Autotrack - a computer program for desinging roads, carparks etc.

Am I the only that's kind of disturbed that someone who would fall for that is potentially designing the next new road in the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

McDonalds was the best for pranks on newbies. Anyone who worked there will know that in the kitchen the ketchup used to be put into the dispenser out of a large bag kept down the back. Former employees will also know that a classic prank was to get the newbie to fill up the sauce dispenser by ripping open a few dozen ketchup sachets one at a time and pouring the ketchup in :D Some poor young fella opening the 14th sachet in 12 minutes, teeth strained off him and the manager comes out and roars "what the **** are you doing ya dope!"

One lad we got him to individually count the pickles in the pickle container. I survived my indoctrination when I told one of the lads to **** off when he asked me to run over to Dunnes and ask for the keys to the coal bunker, as we apparently needed to throw coal underneath the hotplate grills to heat them up :rolleyes:

Mackers was great, awful pay, no managerial respect but you meet some sound ****ers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

I had a young lad (on his first day in another local shop) arrive into the shop where I work and ask could he have their banana ripener back....I managed to keep a straight face and told him that we had loaned it out to another supermarket, about 2 miles away!
    I reckon he had blisters on his feet after all the trekking he did that day :D

Advertisement