Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fool's errands...

Options
  • 04-11-2006 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Ah the bane of the newbie on the job, I'm sure there's a fair few of you who've been caught out by these in your day or been the instigator of one on some poor unsuspecting fellow employee.

Being sent for a non-existant item or service or asked to deliver a cleverly worded message to someone, is a rite of passage in almost any job.

I've only ever been caught out once; as a waiter in a bar I was sent to the bar across the street for a bottle of blue smoke....I was told to back and tell them that they only had a bottle of black smoke and to ask would that do...back over to cheers and applause from other staff and customers :o
    I've been wary ever since and always on the look out to catch others out...but it's a very rare thing that someone ever falls for one.

So ever been caught out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I was saved from it because I used to work where my Dad was the manager but can think of many. This was in a furniture factory so listed below is a few of the many errands;

The long weight(wait), a poor chap came in working for the summer asking for the 'long weight'. He waited for it alright...3 hours just standing there before one of the lads told him. "Look g'wan back and tell Bernard (whatever his name was) that you have been waiting long enough!" Then sending the school crowd who came in for summer for the bucket of stripey paint, glass hammer or kick start for a racing pigeon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Got sent in to a shop once when i was a kid by some older boys to buy a packet of spunk drops. Shopkeeper didnt think it was funny and no one would tell me what i had done wrong. Just gave out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Asked to get a loan of sky-hooks from a butchers. I was 14.

Bastards.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

caught out while being sent to find the pudding bender...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

I've never been the victim, but I used to love trying it at my former job.
    I'd send the new office guy to the basement for a new printer ribbon.
    There was no basement.

They'd come back and say "Um. Where's the door for that?"
    "Well it's just outside the shop door! You can't miss it!"
    They'd go back and return a bit later cussing at me. Heh! Good times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Working in a hotel for the past few years, so with the high turnover, I have had ample opportunity to send people looking for:

sky hooks for the optics, the keys to the dancefloor, the long stand.

My favourite has to have been the bucket of steam to help polish the glasses. The guy was reluctant to get it and was weary of these pranks and pointed out that surely the steam would just rise out of it. Then I told him that he just had to put a lid on it! He came back around 20 minutes later saying that he couldn't find the "steam machine". Oh how I laughed :)

We had this extremely slow porter at one stage who was just a complete disaster. So one day the managers sent him out to the traffic lights outside with a bunch of keys and told him to turn them off for the wedding car that was about to arrive soon. He must've been out there for an hour trying all the keys!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Where to even start ... I work in a Motor Dealers, so each time we'd get a new apprentice, I'd send the young lad into the Parts Departments for :

Glass Hammer
    Sky Hook
    Fallopian Tubes (My favourite)
    Sheet of Broken Glass
    Bucket of Welding Sparks
    Can of Black and White Stripey Paint
    Non Stick Glue
    And the obligatory Long Stand.

Kevin Bloody Wilson has a song dedicated to it "The Apprentice" ... great fun, and well worth a listen. I did remember reading a few years back about a rite of passage at a garage, where they shoved an compressed airhose in a lads anus for fun ... he's still messed up inside apparently.

Got told to get a glass hammer and rubber nails once (probably been tried on just about everyone) I was about half way to the toolbox before it registered.

I was also just after finishing painting a door when two smartass's told me i had put the paint on back to front.I remember putting my hand to my head wondering "how the f**k did i make that mistake"
    I must have been really tired that day to have fallen for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

As a young lad, my dad sent me and my friend down to the petrol station one April Fools day for a bottle of 'Elbow Grease®'.

Boy was my face red.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

The best one I heard of was from a friend working in a fancy restaurant, sending the new kids to look for the lobster gun. So he could shoot the lobsters before he cooked 'em. "It's just under the tank, yeah, a little gun, yeah, little bullets, they won't feel a thing, yeah, double tap" Priceless.:D

• Advertisement

ned78 wrote:
    Where to even start ... I work in a Motor Dealers, so each time we'd get a new apprentice, I'd send the young lad into the Parts Departments for :

Glass Hammer
    Sky Hook
    Fallopian Tubes (My favourite)
    Sheet of Broken Glass
    Bucket of Welding Sparks
    Can of Black and White Stripey Paint
    Non Stick Glue
    And the obligatory Long Stand.

Kevin Bloody Wilson has a song dedicated to it "The Apprentice" ... great fun, and well worth a listen. I did remember reading a few years back about a rite of passage at a garage, where they shoved an compressed airhose in a lads anus for fun ... he's still messed up inside apparently.

I remember reading about that happining to someone a couple of years ago only this guy ended up dying.

Fallopian Tubes :brilliant:D:D must use that one myself.

A restaurant I worked in was awfully bad for things like this. Their favourite was the lobster gun and the bucket of steam.

Some poor guy was sent to the local shop to collect a bucket of steam. The shop gave him a bucket with some hot water in it and told him to run as fast as he could 'least it'll go. So the lad had to sprint from the shop to the restaurant carrying this bucket of water.

Hah.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

for any new carpenters sending them for a skirting ladder always works...

Only one to add to the list is one I heard while working at a tesco deli counter before. Wasn't caught out myself, but some guy was sent to the freezers looking for some salmon legs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Banana Juice.

Fooking Banana Juice I was asked to get one time, from the pub next door to the one I worked in. They told me it had just arrived on the boat from Africa, and the two pubs just put in the one order because it wasn't that popular.

:o

I do love sending people for the Long Stand though, it is especially good when the victim looks at you as if to say 'Yeah right bud, you won't catch me with that one' - then you go to on to explain that there is actually a device called the Long Stand in use in this particular company.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Have to admit as a young apprentice I was sent to the chemist for a bottle of Maiden's Water. I can still see the look on the woman face behind the counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

WTF is Maiden's Water?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

a PISS take

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Bag of fresh ice, not the frozen stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

"Keys to the dancefloor" lmao

There's loads in the construction industry, most of em already listed here...the long weight or stand is a classic, sky hooks too.

Talking to a fella the other week that was tellling me about some new girl in a bar being sent for a bottle of hot whiskey....she was gone for over an hour...the guy who sent her got into trouble for it with the management...take a joke FFS...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

One poor apprentice was sent two miles across town to a welder/fabricator to bring back the "gradient plane" that he was supposed to have borrowed.

The welder took the heaviest, most awkwardly shaped piece of scrap that he could find and sent your man on his way home with it.

It was later weighed in at 30 kg :eek:

Another favourite was to send an apprentice to the local outlet of the department of weights and measures (again about two miles across town) with a fistfull of yardsticks to get them "calibrated".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Was never sent on an errand but when i first started working in offices i was given peices of paper with phone numbers to call and ask for particular people (it was a long long time ago so these are very old now !)

Hi can a speak to Mr C Lyon. - the number they gave me turned out to be Dublin Zoo

and my personal favourite - Hi can i speak to Annette Curtain - the number was hickeys fabric store :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I never got it too badly. Once I was handed a fiver (sterling) note when it was scrunched up and told by a supervisor to buy a fivers worth of sweets because it was Christmas time. As I got to the checkout I pulled it out of my pocket and put the mountain of stuff on the counter when I realised only half of it was there. Felt a bit silly. Worse things happened though like people being locked under the stairs for hours at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

a sieve full of sand

inflatable dartboards

clear tippex

there's loads of them! i love getting people with them.

sent someone to look for a tin of sweat soup once. said it was a new thing, they asked at the counter in tesco. good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

just started a new job, im glad i didnt start with any of you lot :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

wyndham wrote:
    Bag of fresh ice, not the frozen stuff.

Hehe, very good, never heard that one before :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Like an earlier poster I was sent for the pudding bender, the worst part is I knew it was a joke, but the manager kept at me for ages so I pretended to do it so as far as they knew I did but secretly I had outwitted them. On sites I've been sent for the glass hammer too, but that was an easy one to spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

When I started part-time work in the wholesalers down on the Richmond Rd, I was given a few orders to get together. On some of the orders, free stuff is given 'free of charge', or as it appears on the orders... "FOC".

So I appoached a guy called Willy, and I asked him what it was...

"Hmmm...Oh a foc" He looked behind him, to an empty shelf. "None left down here, go up and ask Gillian for one".

"Are you Gillian? Yeah? Well, I'm looking for a foc". As it left my tongue... I realised...:eek:

It never occured to me it was a joke, ffs it was on the order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I work in Dunnes in Galway and the best i have heard was on the PA System when it was a really busy Saturday one of the guys got on the PA and said in a very professional manner "Telephone call for Mike Hunt on Extension 25 thats Mike Hunt Extension 25" Needless to say he never copped it but the Customers and staff did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm almost too embarressed to admit this, but keep in mind I was an innocent, naive, not very worldly wise 14 year old floorboy in a pub many many moons ago. I was sent to the bar on the upper floor of the pub for a bottle of hot whiskey. A few minute late I was handed a pint glass full of a warm yellow liquid and told, "No bottles of Hot whiskey left, heres a pint"

I think we can all guess what that warm liquid turned out to be. :D

Still not sure whether the joke by the upstairs staff was on me or the lads downstairs who sent me on the fools errand. I do remember being a bit clumbsy handing it over to the downstairs barman. Got a bit on his hand. Not on purpose mind because I still wasn't aware I was being 'taken the piss of' pardon the pun. When I did eventually find out I was rather glad I had spilt some on his hand because I wouldn't have had the balls to do it had I known.

Advertisement