Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my first attempted fraud.. I feel so special!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

takola wrote:

Then she got a call from the bank manager saying that they'd made a mistake and the cheque had actually been fake. They told her she'd have to pay it back. She told them, they'd made the mistake and that she couldn't afford to pay it back. And she got away with it because they'd made the mistake! :D

100% boll0x!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I've just started bating a good old 419'er. got his Pasport copy and now he is looking for mine. I'm looking for a passport JPG to send him. God bless him.

I think I'll send him a picture of the passport cover heh heh.

Don't send him anything that looks remotely convincing. He'll only use it to con another vic.

Find a nice big 1 meg .dll file, copy it to another folder and rename it to a .jpg

Result: Mr. Muguman brings down his cafe's crappy little 56k line for days :)

JohnCleary wrote:
    I got a reply from him. He said that the price is fine, eventhough im asking 1500euro for something worth about 200euro :rolleyes:

Anyhow, here is the reply I gave him:
    <snip>
    Roundy wrote:
    Also, I love the idea of you guys playing around with these little parasites-but play safe ok? No personal details, and anonymous email accounts only. Gmail seems to get their heads spinning for some reason.

I hope you read the above...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I hope you read the above...

If you're talking to me, any details I have given him are fake. The e-mail address he's sending to is my 'crapmail' account. I just don't know how to get his 'draft' to me without giving him a real postal address? Anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,351 ✭✭✭✭Victor

JohnCleary wrote:
    'Find me anywhere'?
    Like call forwarding, but done from the receiving phone instead of the forwarding phone. I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

JohnCleary wrote:
    Anyone got any ideas?
    PO Box.

Work?

Neighbour :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

the local supervalu??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

You mean to say you have not yet received an email from guy in an African country saying that he is trying to move millions of dollars out and needs your assistance for a few million? Oh, and you are to provide him with a bank account number, etc., etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Funny enough I just got this PM
    Someone just contacted me this morning about this same product,do you accept (x€) for the buy it now?if so i will be very glad to make the payment via moneygram.com,and i will need your first and second name street address,city,state,country,zipcode,you can also join me on my yahoo messenger x@yahoo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Anyone see the guy in the paper who got these guys to send him photos holding ridiculous written signs so he would believe who they were?

he got one guy to pose with a loaf of bread in his head holding a fish! I think he has a website with a full gallery of them somewhere.
    i believe thats this one. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

takola wrote:
    My friend had someone try this! He sent her a cheque for 2000 euros. She brought it to the bank, explained to the girl that she didn't know if it was real or fake and cashed it into her account. Was told that if it went in within 4 days it was real, and if it didn't it wasn't. She checked the bank 3 days later and low and behold there's 4000 euro in it! She was delighted, Just coming up to Christmas.

She went on a shopping spree and a couple of days later she got an email from the guy saying his secretary sent her too much and it was only meant to be for 400 euro, Could she please send back the other 1,600. She ignored it.

Then she got a call from the bank manager saying that they'd made a mistake and the cheque had actually been fake. They told her she'd have to pay it back. She told them, they'd made the mistake and that she couldn't afford to pay it back. And she got away with it because they'd made the mistake! :D

As mentioned above this is 100% the biggest pile of steaming poo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭bugs90

How about you really mess with him - this is the famous and hilarious ebay powerbook scam. well worth a read:D http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

How gullible is that guy to put a loaf of bread on his head?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

bugs90 wrote:
    How about you really mess with him - this is the famous and hilarious ebay powerbook scam. well worth a read:D http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Read that before its brilliant

petes wrote:
    How gullible is that guy to put a loaf of bread on his head?

How about catching them for tens of thousands of dollars in shipping fees while sending them "embellished" junked domestic appliances?

Baiting them into smearing a deep heat type concoction into their nether regions, and sending photographic proof?

That's only the beginning. This place has all the above. Not as busy a site as 419eater, but the baits are more ambitious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Juiceman

bugs90 wrote:

Ha this scam is legendary. I remember when i came accrossit first, i laughed solid for 20 minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

419 scams are named after the nigerian criminal code 419, advance fee fraud, and are more of a "my uncle the king has lots of cash so help me out, man". What you are dealing with is a different level of scammer, NOT 419, escrow fraud or something, I forget the proper name for it, I can look up the exact financial mechanics behind it if anyone is interested.

I should say, seriously, don't mess with these lads. 419ers are almost uniformly based out of Nigeria, so you can mess with them to a certain level. These other lads could be anywhere, and typically have links to organised crime syndicates in Eastern Europe or even Africa, again, so its not unpossible that they can physically find you.

My advice to you would be to break off all contact and report it to the Guards and the bank, in that order.

Advertisement