Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my first attempted fraud.. I feel so special!

Options
  • 02-11-2006 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭

It's finally happened! After 9 years of using the internet I finally got my first 419. For a mini moto (long sold) I was asking for 200euro. What amazed me was he said his draft was for 7000euro! :eek:

Typical, "I send you 7000euro, you refund me 6800euro".. I told him the price has gone from 200euro to 1500euro ... Let's see if he replies :D

Below is the e-mail;

Goodday I saw your advert and am intrested in buying you item( Mini moto ) which you have listed I have a client who own me the amount of 7000euro and he will make the payment to you via a certified Bank darft. as soon as you recieve it you will take yor money and send the balance to my accountant who will send the shipper agent to pick up the item from you and prepare it for shipping.

Here are the details i will need shortly to make payment to you .

Full name:.............................
    Contact address:..........................
    Postal Address:.......................
    Postal Code:.......................
    phone number:.....................
    Country;..........................

I await your deatils shortly.and please call me so that we can conclude on phone ok
    Regards.....Victor
    +447011135833.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Victor, you bastard! Stop trying to scam people on the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Faith wrote:

More like "Victor you bastard, learn some fcuking english" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Love it!

What you gonna do about it besides wait patiently?
    I couldn't do that, I have the patience of a 4 year old child when it comes to things like that.

Love it!

What you gonna do about it besides wait patiently?
    I couldn't do that, I have the patience of a 4 year old child when it comes to things like that.

Sent him an e-mail telling him the price was now 1500euro... If I get a reply i'll let him send me a draft, scan it for all of you to see and then report it to yahoo etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Mmmmmm - Victors offer sounds tempting!

Maybe you should go for it! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I've never gotten one of those e-mails :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

Aww, well done. Its nice when you get your first proper scam, it means that internet criminals love you.

I got my first dodgy bank machine scam a few weeks back (camera hidden in the frame of the machine) and I really did get a warm glowing warming glow. Finally, I am important enough to be scammed. :)

(I'll offer you €1900 for the phone by the way, but only if you can give me change for a 2.4 million indian rupee cheque made out to "Sultan Ofswing" Its genuine, I swear, the sultan is my brothers coworkers cousin)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

never got that one but i got the one about nigerian royalty that can't spell nigerian or royalty

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

I haven't got one of those for a while (that I know of). At the time, I assumed it was a phishing thing and that replying would get more ads sent to me, it never occurred to me to toy with them. Now that it has, the majority of my spam is ads for "free" electronics that links to sites that have nothing to do with that. It's possible that there's a few 419s in my trash but I can't be bothered going through all tht stuff to find them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

never got that one but i got the one about nigerian royalty that can't spell nigerian or royalty

The poor guys father was assassinated on the Ivory Coast for god sake, show some empathy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Only your first? Lucky you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

HavoK wrote:
    The poor guys father was assassinated on the Ivory Coast for god sake, show some empathy :D

Not only that, but he was assassinated TO DEATH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I feel all left out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I've started getting LOADS of them in my gmail account... get about 4 a day, The best ones are when you get the same one from different email addresses yet claiming to be the same person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

tbh Ive never received one and ive been online since 2000, you only get them if you are stupid enough to put your email address up to register for any type of service. I always use my "crapmail" address, an email account i specifically have to sign up for things I know will spam the bollix off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'd just waste his time. Accept the dodgy cheque/bank draft and delay and delay him by giving strange and comical excuses. And then post them here!

Gordon wrote:
    I'd just waste his time. Accept the dodgy cheque/bank draft and delay and delay him by giving strange and comical excuses. And then post them here!

That's the plan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Gordon wrote:

Anyone see the guy in the paper who got these guys to send him photos holding ridiculous written signs so he would believe who they were?

he got one guy to pose with a loaf of bread in his head holding a fish! I think he has a website with a full gallery of them somewhere.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

anyoen give the number a ring there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

My friend had someone try this! He sent her a cheque for 2000 euros. She brought it to the bank, explained to the girl that she didn't know if it was real or fake and cashed it into her account. Was told that if it went in within 4 days it was real, and if it didn't it wasn't. She checked the bank 3 days later and low and behold there's 4000 euro in it! She was delighted, Just coming up to Christmas.

She went on a shopping spree and a couple of days later she got an email from the guy saying his secretary sent her too much and it was only meant to be for 400 euro, Could she please send back the other 1,600. She ignored it.

Then she got a call from the bank manager saying that they'd made a mistake and the cheque had actually been fake. They told her she'd have to pay it back. She told them, they'd made the mistake and that she couldn't afford to pay it back. And she got away with it because they'd made the mistake! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

This website has plenty of 419 exchanges. Some quite amusing! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Some of those are really good alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

takola wrote:
    She told them, they'd made the mistake and that she couldn't afford to pay it back. And she got away with it because they'd made the mistake! :D

Absolute! Baloney!

Banks do not refund funds drawn on counterfeit cheques.

Ever.

Funds may be lodged, blah blah blah, but if you spend, the bank *will* come after you for the deficit.

People, don't listen to this blatant misinformation and get any silly ideas. :)

Also, I love the idea of you guys playing around with these little parasites-but play safe ok? No personal details, and anonymous email accounts only. Gmail seems to get their heads spinning for some reason.

Above all, don't string them along on foot of a legitimately placed ad. These guys are hardly rocket scientists, but none of us are anonymous as we might think.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,335 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Faith wrote:
    I'm relying on the Shaggy Defence.

BTW, be careful phoning that number, (a) its a "Find me anywhere" number where you will easily pay 1-2 euros per minute (b) he might have caller ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

takola wrote:
    My friend had someone try this! He sent her a cheque for 2000 euros. She brought it to the bank, explained to the girl that she didn't know if it was real or fake and cashed it into her account. Was told that if it went in within 4 days it was real, and if it didn't it wasn't. She checked the bank 3 days later and low and behold there's 4000 euro in it! She was delighted, Just coming up to Christmas.

She went on a shopping spree and a couple of days later she got an email from the guy saying his secretary sent her too much and it was only meant to be for 400 euro, Could she please send back the other 1,600. She ignored it.

Then she got a call from the bank manager saying that they'd made a mistake and the cheque had actually been fake. They told her she'd have to pay it back. She told them, they'd made the mistake and that she couldn't afford to pay it back. And she got away with it because they'd made the mistake! :D

Yeah, your mate sounds like a smart one, alright :rolleyes:

Victor wrote:
    I'm relying on the Shaggy Defence.

BTW, be careful phoning that number, (a) its a "Find me anywhere" number where you will easily pay 1-2 euros per minute (b) he might have caller ID.

'Find me anywhere'?

I got a reply from him. He said that the price is fine, eventhough im asking 1500euro for something worth about 200euro :rolleyes:

Anyhow, here is the reply I gave him:

Victor,
    Can you make the bank draft out in my dog's name? You see, the Fraud Dept. of the Police are currently doing an audit on me and I am worried they might try and charge me lots of tax or put me in jail. I set up an off-shore account in my dog's name which is safe.

Can you do this for me Victor? I am trusting that you are not the police. Are you sure you are happy to pay 1500euro for a Minimoto? What will you be using it for? Where are you located? Where will I be shipping to mini-moto to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Deadly!
    Keep us updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've just started bating a good old 419'er. got his Pasport copy and now he is looking for mine. I'm looking for a passport JPG to send him. God bless him.

I think I'll send him a picture of the passport cover heh heh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Advertisement