Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young man sets himself alight in north Dublin supermarket

Options
  • 02-11-2006 10:03am

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/11/02/story283470.html

My cousin was in the supermarket yesterday when this happened with her baby and her mother and needless to say, she was highly scared and disturbed
    As people when trying to put him out he was on the floor and as she looked she thought someone had set something on fire like paper or something and seen it was a guy she started screaming!
    She was only a few feet away from him as she was in the Toy Dept!

Now what was going through my mind when she told me this was what would have to be going through someone's mind in order for them to do this, never mind the fact it was in a toy dept of a supermarket

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Read this in the paper this morning. Mad indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I have no idea what you are supposed to say to that. Poor focker, obviously unstable. Don't suppose anyone can find out the reason why he did it?

He's said to have 90% burn's on his body
    My cousin said the way he was she'd be surprised if he lived!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

He's said to have 90% burn's on his body
    My cousin said the way he was she'd be surprised if he lived!

90% burns is not a good sign. Poor lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Wonder what drove him to do that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

bizmark wrote:
    Wonder what drove him to do that
    Yeah, what would drive someone to a: End their life in one of the most, if not the most, painful methods possible and b: To do it in the local Tesco.
    The consequences of such actions are blatantly obvious, surely he would have realised that if somehow he lived, he'd be left in agony and mutilated and shipped into an asylum with padded walls...yet he still did it.
    Crazy stuff alright, the poor guy.

rb_ie wrote:
    Yeah, what would drive someone to a: End their life in one of the most, if not the most, painful methods possible and b: To do it in the local Tesco.
    The consequences of such actions are blatantly obvious, surely he would have realised that if somehow he lived, he'd be left in agony and mutilated and shipped into an asylum with padded walls...yet he still did it.
    Crazy stuff alright, the poor guy.

Obviously when you get into that state where all you want to do is kill yourself, youre not going to think about the consquences of if you lived..

.. though I'm not sure why he decided to set himself alight. Surely if he wanted to do it in Tescos, diving head first off the top wouldve been more effective ..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

God, I think it's worse that they saved his life. He clearly wanted to die and now he's going to live, but be unrecognisably disfigured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Heard this on the Jerry Ryan show. Gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Poor guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Thats horrendous. I think burning yourself like that must be the worst thing imaginable really.I'd much rather be dead instantly than prolonging the agony in hospital with 90% burns.Must be hardest for this young mans family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I'm sure the many victims of house fires and 3rd degree burns would be livid that such a person would subject themselves to this voluntarily. With that in mind, I'm torn between sympathy and apathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Savman wrote:
    I'm sure the many victims of house fires and 3rd degree burns would be livid that such a person would subject themselves to this voluntarily. With that in mind, I'm torn between sympathy and apathy.
    Livid? Yeah, it's a flaming disgrace :rolleyes:
    Pffft. People can subject themselves to whatever they want. I heard that with burning alive, what actually kills you is your heart exploding or something. Sounds painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

sjones wrote:
    Heard this on the Jerry Ryan show. Gas.
    this is Ireland. we call it petrol. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

julep wrote:
    this is Ireland. we call it petrol. :(
    juleps back!

Pighead told yas that he wasn't holed up in the Ailwee caves with Michael Jackson and The Gnome as his hostages. Tell them they were all wrong julep, they were, weren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Some people will do anything for a bargin...

I bet he immediatly regretted that decision :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Pighead wrote:
    juleps back!

Pighead told yas that he wasn't holed up in the Ailwee caves with Michael Jackson and The Gnome as his hostages. Tell them they were all wrong julep, they were, weren't they?
    they were/ are right. i'm using my mobile phone to post this.
    the jackson fella is playing with the fiddle i bought him. i had heard he likes fiddling.

Does he have jesus juice too?

Anyways, obviously he should've used more petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Tha's tragic indeed. Poor guy must have been in an awful state to do that. To be honest if I ever felt like killing myself I don't imagine I'd do it that way, sounds like the most horrible way to do it! :(

Off-topic, yep, welcome back julep* :)

*I know your ban button probaly needs some exercise from lack of use recently but please don't ban me for straying off-topic, pretty-please, wheedle, whine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭letterman

maybe he was cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,982 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

rb_ie wrote:
    shipped into an asylum with padded walls
    Won't be so easy to admit him now as the much more stricter Mental Health Act (2001) came into force yesterday. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if you can't get admitted to an asylum for walking into a crowded shopping center and setting yourself on fire .. then um.. actually, maybe he was a buddhist monk and he was protesting... something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Faith wrote:
    God, I think it's worse that they saved his life. He clearly wanted to die and now he's going to live, but be unrecognisably disfigured.

True

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I heard it was actually Methylated Spirits that he used. I don't think they have cans of petrol on the shelves in Tesco.

I got my head stuck in the turnstile in that shopping centre when I was a kid and they had to get the fire brigade to get me out... not quite setting myself on fire, but it still made a scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

It's crazy but if he wanted to set fire to himself in a Toystore with many witnesses he obviously wanted to be a headline. An attention seeking suicidal crazy person ? Bit odd if you ask me..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Not really suicide is a fairly narcissictic act anyway.

This guy should have looked at the RATM cover to see how a REAL man does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Jesus H... If he was unhappy before he set himself on fire I don't see how he's going to cope with being unable to move a finger without immense pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

rb_ie wrote:
    Yeah, what would drive someone to...... b: To do it in the local Tesco.
    Isn't it obvious? Cheap petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

The wisecracks on this thread are in very poor taste.
    Perhaps one of the mods might kindly close it please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Pal wrote:
    The wisecracks on this thread are in very poor taste.
    Perhaps one of the mods might kindly close it please.
    it's expected given it's in AH tbh.
    There's a thread about it in the Dublin forum that wise-crack free (so far).

Advertisement