Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of purchasing a sword and importing it to Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Tigger wrote: »
    in my recent experiance

you can import a high quality collectors sword probably needs to be handmade (you need to clarify with the dept of justice in advance)

or if you need one for sport (again check with the dept of justice) you cant have a cheapo wallhanger

this applies to samruai swords sword sticks and some other swords

I'll get on to the dept. then, thanks.
    I would have figured it might have been allowed seeing as it's not really a weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Eathrin wrote: »
    I would have figured it might have been allowed seeing as it's not really a weapon.
    My suspicion in the case of the sword you've linked is that they would still consider it to be an offensive weapon because blunt or not you could still cause serious injury with it - especially the tip. I've a friend who has a similar sword at home, and while the blade is blunt, you could easily break some bones if you swung it and the tip is easily sharp enough to stab someone with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

This thread reminded me of this sorry it doesn't get relevant until about half way through.

seamus wrote: »
    My suspicion in the case of the sword you've linked is that they would still consider it to be an offensive weapon because blunt or not you could still cause serious injury with it - especially the tip. I've a friend who has a similar sword at home, and while the blade is blunt, you could easily break some bones if you swung it and the tip is easily sharp enough to stab someone with.

Which in fairness is silly. There's a skip down my road, and I'm sure I could find even more dangerous "weapons" in it. I don't need to order a display sword from Canada in order to hurt somebody. I would even understand if it was sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

... I would even understand if it was sharp.

Maybe I'm missing something but the ad itself describes this sword as a weapon and I don't see it being referred to as blunt anywhere. In my opinion, and with no slight intended to anyone here, it is exactly these $50 wall-hangers that the 2009 legislation was intended to address.

This thing is the worst of all worlds - it is potentially deadly but bears as much relation to Bushido and samurai teachings as my Samsung TV.

• Advertisement

BornToKill wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something but the ad itself describes this sword as a weapon and I don't see it being referred to as blunt anywhere. In my opinion, and with no slight intended to anyone here, it is exactly these $50 wall-hangers that the 2009 legislation was intended to address.

This thing is the worst of all worlds - it is potentially deadly but bears as much relation to Bushido and samurai teachings as my Samsung TV.

Here is the foreword, though it doesn't explicitly state blunt
    These Japanese display swords are an excellent economical solution for decorating your home. They are available in an array of colours that will work for any Japanese theme. If you are a fan of Japanese culture, samurai warriors, swords and katana's or kung fu movies this is a great inexpensive way to bring an exciting centerpiece to your home.
    I would have thought a sharp sword would cost more to produce anyway, hence the relatively low price.

Is it really a crime to want to decorate a room with a display sword? Okay, I don't study the martial art, I'm not of Japanese heritage, but I'm interested in their culture and I don't have buckets to spend.

I do understand where the law is coming from. But surely barring the import of more dangerous weapons without a valid use would be enough.
    I honestly don't think a bit of metal on a handle poses more harm to others around me than my kitchen knife.
    Or is it specifically to counteract cosplay loonies on the street?

... Is it really a crime to want to decorate a room with a display sword?

No it isn't. It is, however, a criminal offence to import a katana other than those for which the 2009 SI makes an exception i.e. pre-1954 or handmade. Please let us know what the Department tells you out of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

In a lot of ways I am glad of the change of law on this.

I brought in a replica officer's sword from the America Civil War in around 2007.
    Ordered online no bother.
    When it arrived in the Port I got a phone call from FedEx wanting to know if there were any legal issues regarding its import before they delivered it.

I hadn't a clue at the time. Rang Customs and Excise (I think) and spoke to a girl over the phone and was a really interesting conversation. I had to describe the sword. In the end she just said "look if you were to carry it down O'Connell Street in Dublin would people see it and know what it is". Me: "Yeah, sure it's about 3 foot long" - her: "Grand as long as it can't be easily concealed you are ok"

Rang Fedex me: "yeah Customs says it's cool" Fedex: "grand we will deliver it tomorrow"

Way too easy if you ask me.

At the same time, I do have sympathy for collectors of such items, as usual, it is a minority of people who ruin it for the rest.

Uriel. wrote: »
    At the same time, I do have sympathy for collectors of such items, as usual, it is a minority of people who ruin it for the rest.

Collectors can still collect - the exceptions are specifically designed for them. No collector wants a cheap Chinese-made copy.

Okay, I don't study the martial art, I'm not of Japanese heritage, but I'm interested in their culture and I don't have buckets to spend.

Have you considered a bonsai tree?

• Advertisement

BornToKill wrote: »
    Have you considered a bonsai tree?

:rolleyes:
    Yes at a matter of fact I like them too, however I don't think I'd have the same problems in acquiring one.
    I haven't contacted anyone just yet, but I will do in the near future regarding the decorative katana.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Can you not buy samuri swords down in Argos?
    I think you get three and a nice display stand as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 yelofmail

I have an antique takouba with a bunch of other possessions I wanted to repatriate from the USA. The shipping company refused to send it because they were not aware of the Irish regulations.
    1. Where can I find the Irish regulations governing this kind of thing.
    2. Who must I contact in order to receive whatever license I need.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Ring the Customs and excise people in the revenue, They will answer your Q's

With regards to the katana Question its is sword like this sitting in peoples livingrooms that got them banned. Theyre stainless steel sharp objects that are only cosmetically swords in less of a way that a BB gun is a military grade gun.

I have several swords which I collect for historical interest and none are on display in the livingroom and can say importing swords that are not katanas is easy.

yelofmail wrote: »
    I have an antique takouba with a bunch of other possessions I wanted to repatriate from the USA. The shipping company refused to send it because they were not aware of the Irish regulations.
    1. Where can I find the Irish regulations governing this kind of thing.
    2. Who must I contact in order to receive whatever license I need.
    Thanks.

Answers 14 & 15 have all that information.

Advertisement