Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of purchasing a sword and importing it to Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Well you can't import dangerous weapons without a license and with the recent amnesty over knifes/guns/etc it is possible you wouldn't be allowed import this.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,726 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Crap, I was just about to say that :( I would head down to your local Station and talk to them about it: never know, you may have to apply for some kind of liscence, and they will have forms for that handy, Im sure

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I asked the guy in Pagoda, in Dun Laoire (they sell Gurker knieves and Samuri swords, or they used to anyway, don't know if they still do) a while back. He said that he was very surprised when he found that he didn't need a license for import or selling. The situation may have changed, but you there used to be no problem. I have a friend who has seven of those Japanese blade swords, and that was grand.

EDIT: Japanese blade swords = Katana, knew that I'd remember.
    2nd EDIT: I have all this second-hand, I'd say just ask in a Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Okey dokey! Thanks for the info folks. I'll head down to the local station soon.

Cheers,

Hauk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

No licencing requirements exist for swords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

1990 Firearms and Offensive Weapons act says you can't carry one in a public place. Apart from that, I can't find anything to say they're illegal to buy or own. And since several martial arts legitimately use them for training, and since they're openly sold from Mary street to Stephen's Green...

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Why not fashion your own from tinfoil? Safe, cheap & inherently legal.

Honestly, wtf do you need a sword for? Is it the case that there can, unfortunately, be only one or do you just think that they're cool?

The sword is about as tacky as it gets btw. I hope you don't intend hanging it above your fireplace.

Did someone offend you to the extent that you now demand satisfaction?

The Lord of the Rings was a great movie but its fantasy mate. If you also own a cloak, its time to seek help.

Honestly, wtf do you need a sword for?
    http://www.iaido.ie/

iaido_foto_32.jpg

Like I said, legitimate martial arts use them for training.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

What is it some kind of MC Hammer fan club?

You could make jokes, or you could click on that link and learn something. The choice is yours.

• Advertisement

I'll just make jokes thanks. Ok, they're filled with helium. BlimpPants. Trying to re-create the Crouching Tiger effect.

What kills me is the top left of the photo. So you can attack each other with swords. Fine.

But no smoking, its bad for your health.

I'll just make jokes thanks.
    Grand so. Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Again you give me great information Sparks! :P Thanks for the info man.

And Maximilian, when was the last time you got laid?

Thanks Sparks! :D

Hauk

No worries Hauk, it's nice to be able to help.

Hauk, I'll buy a sword. What woman will be able to resist me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Tai Chi martial sword style also requires a sword (you would think that looking at the name)... Please do not think that all swords are weapons of war - Tai Chi is inherently a relaxation activity, nothing unwholesome whatsoever - so yes it is much better than smoking.

Just wondering Sparks, what if you practise Tai Chi in an open area? In China it's widely done... the sword is blunted and very thin (flimsy almost :) )...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The wording of Section 9 of the Firearms & Offensive Weapons Act 1990 is as follows:
    9.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), where a person has with him in any public place any knife or any other article which has a blade or which is sharply pointed, he shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (2), it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had the article with him for use at work or for a recreational purpose.

The section goes on a bit more, but the essential bits for the purpose of this thread are above.

Are keyring swiss army knifes included in this Act (it would appear from the wording that this is the case)... so carrying a keyring swiss army knife is illegal? (Also scissors perhaps?)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Lynfo

I bought a sword online and had no hassle getting it delivered here, also bought one when I was in Scotland and just had to check it thru separately to my luggage - but no hassles here either.

• Advertisement

Thirdfox wrote:
    Are keyring swiss army knifes included in this Act (it would appear from the wording that this is the case)... so carrying a keyring swiss army knife is illegal? (Also scissors perhaps?)
    Depends on the context. Coming up from the riverbank with a rod and tacklebox and a knife on your belt? It's a tool for sporting use. Walking into a disco with the same knife on your belt? It's an offensive weapon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

i remember last year there was a clip form rte news about an garda síochána holding a recruitment day for non nationals (who will soon naturalise or seeks citizenship).

any way there was one girl, not sure of her ethinic background, who has a tradition of keeping a sword/dagger as protection. they were concerned bout issues like would such gardai be allowed to retain personal items like shawls etc (sorry for being flipant) and other items whilst in uniform.

anyway i take it they will be prevented from carrying weapons too. (again sorry this wasnt well thought out)

a tradition of keeping a sword/dagger
    Sikhs?
    Thing is, the kirpan is often very small, as in crucifix size (because that's what it is, to a sikh). From a sikh website:
    The Kirpan (ceremonial sword) worn by followers of the Sikh religion sometimes raises questions or concerns among people who are unfamiliar with the religion or it's tenants. The Kirpan is an ingrained part of the Sikh religion and is in many ways it’s religious symbolism is similar to the Cross in Christianity. Just as a Cross is worn be devout Christians, baptized Sikhs are required to wear the Kirpan. The Kirpan is no more symbolic a weapons than the Christian Cross is symbolic of a torture instrument.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazy chester

Just curious to see if anything has changed in legislation to do with this thread since it was posted in 2006?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Just curious to see if anything has changed in legislation to do with this thread since it was posted in 2006?

Well the penalties have gone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'm interested in buying a sword, katana preferably.
    Where could I buy one and if not in Ireland can they be imported?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Katanas are complicated. The laws changed in 2009. See answer 14.

BornToKill wrote: »
    Katanas are complicated. The laws changed in 2009. See answer 14.

Is it possible that because I just want a blunt katana for decorative purposes that it may not come under "offensive weapons"?
    Though any website I've looked at seems to exclusively sell sharp katanas.

http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=5062

Can anybody clarify whether such an item would be stopped at customs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

in my recent experiance

you can import a high quality collectors sword probably needs to be handmade (you need to clarify with the dept of justice in advance)

or if you need one for sport (again check with the dept of justice) you cant have a cheapo wallhanger

this applies to samruai swords sword sticks and some other swords

Advertisement